Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    KSU may consider the option of giving Korean citizenship to foreign (male) skaters just as Russia did to Kavaguti. (But, I am not sure current Korean law allows it) Russian federation recently decided to give citizenship to a super excellent Korean short tracker for Socchi.
    In theory, it is definitely possible, but we have to remember that it is the same Korean Federation that squandered one of the most celebrated speed skaters ever to the Russians. I just can't imagine the same incompetent organization pulling the same thing that was done to them. If they had been anything close to capable, Russians would've never been able to snatch away the speed skater.

Only plausible way of Koreans having pairs and ice dance team I can imagine is having the dear leader in the north of demilitarized zone lend their skaters for the games. IIRC, North Koreans had a pair represent them in Torino. I heard that the dear leader is fond of figure skating, so it could be possible that they have pairs and dance program of some sort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Only plausible way of Koreans having pairs and ice dance team I can imagine is having the dear leader in the north of demilitarized zone lend their skaters for the games. IIRC, North Koreans had a pair represent them in Torino. I heard that the dear leader is fond of figure skating, so it could be possible that they have pairs and dance program of some sort.
    Or two Koreas could be reunified before 2018,,,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle K View Post
    Or two Koreas could be reunified before 2018,,,
    It would be nice in some ways, but I wouldn't bet on such dramatic change of events.

vCash
    It would be nice in some ways, but I wouldn't bet on such dramatic change of events.
    On a more serious note, I think Korea can develop a decent ice dancing team with proper planning and support. It's kind of weired Korea has no ice dancing teams now when there used to be at least one ice dancing team (regardless of their skill level) competing internationally in the past.

Pairs, I think, is a really different story. KSU cannot grant citizenship to a foreign skater even if they want to. Anyone here remember Chun-Kun Lee and Kate Slattery? I heard they even wrote a letter to the President but could not get her Korean citizenship. It looks like having a foreign skater representing Korea will require immigration law revisions or making exceptions to the current rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle K View Post
    On a more serious note, I think Korea can develop a decent ice dancing team with proper planning and support. It's kind of weired Korea has no ice dancing teams now when there used to be at least one ice dancing team (regardless of their skill level) competing internationally in the past.

Pairs, I think, is a really different story. KSU cannot grant citizenship to a foreign skater even if they want to. Anyone here remember Chun-Kun Lee and Kate Slattery? I heard they even wrote a letter to the President but could not get her Korean citizenship. It looks like having a foreign skater representing Korea will require immigration law revisions or making exceptions to the current rules.
    I don't remember their story too well, but I think it was the Korean Federation being unhappy with Lee leaving his Korean partner and choosing to skate with a foreigner rather than a citizenship issue. They could have had them represent Korea in Worlds, though Olympics would have been a different story.

vCash
    Korea did have a couple of pairs team in the past, and they competed internationally time to time I hear. But last time I heard the federation did not want to force any singles skaters to take up pairs or ice dancing just for the sake of PC 2018. There has been quite a lot of people talking about the possibility of Hyeon Jung Kim doing pairs because she looked very fit for the discipline(tiny, twig-skinny, light feet, and has a decent 3T and 3S), but then she retired. Oh well.

vCash
    There were some Korean officials mentioning the possibility of the two Koreas organizing a unified delegation for 2018 as they did in (IIRC) Barcelona Olympics. Wouldn’t it be special, if the sides join to make a pair team and skate to the tune of, say, I Don’t Know Enough About You, or, Long Live My Dear Leader.

I guess it’s unlikely to happen though, since a pair or a dancing team would need years of working together.

vCash
    So, the plan would be something like;
    1) South Korea gets Hyun-Jung Kim to come out of retirement, and North Korea comes up with a guy.
    2) Build a rink somewhere in the demilitarized zone and have them work their little butts off for 6 years.
    3) They compete under unified flag of some sort in PC.
    4) Skate to I Don’t Know Enough About You for SP, and Long Live My Dear Leader for LP.
    It makes sense to me.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 08-29-2011 at 04:38 PM.

vCash
    1) South Korea gets Hyun-Jung Kim to come out of retirement, and North Korea comes up with a guy.
    2) Build a rink somewhere in the demilitarized zone and have them work their little butts off for 6 years.
    3) Skate to I Don’t Know Enough About You for SP, and Long Live My Dear Leader for LP.
    It makes sense to me.
    Impeccable!

When they build the rink in DMZ, I would move with them to that pristine land with the best set of mops I could get my hand on, and volunteer to be a human Zamboni. I will work hard. And I believe it could only help my life expectancy. I guess all I need to watch out for is some mines here and there, and some occasional encounter with an unfriendly bear.

As for the SP, I prefer a Krall version to a Lee version, as it's more acidic of the two to better suit the occasion.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 08-29-2011 at 01:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Impeccable!

When they build the rink in DMZ, I would move with them to that pristine land with the best set of mops I could get my hand on, and volunteer to be a human Zamboni. I will work hard. And I believe it could only help my life expectancy. I guess all I need to watch out for is some mines here and there, and some occasional encounter with an unfriendly bear.

As for the SP, I prefer a Krall version to a Lee version, as it's more acidic of the two to better suit the occasion.
    You have my full support. Here it goes.
    5) lowtherlore becomes a human zamboni and gets to chose the music in return for the service.

vCash
    This thread is surreal...

I came to see how the Yuna Kids are doing blah blah blah...
    and all I got was seeing how Yuna fan (and half ) conspiring Korea reunification with a human zamboni!! Utterly surreal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    This thread is surreal...

I came to see how the Yuna Kids are doing blah blah blah...
    and all I got was seeing how Yuna fan (and half ) conspiring Korea reunification with a human zamboni!! Utterly surreal...

Please lighten up. Someone told me a couple of weeks ago that everyone needs to let it go and have fun once in a while.

vCash
    4) Skate to I Don’t Know Enough About You for SP, and Long Live My Dear Leader for LP.
    It makes sense to me.

vCash
    Please lighten up. Someone told me a couple of weeks ago that everyone needs to let it go and have fun once in a while.

Haha i was actually grinning as I typed it Arghh maybe i should make it more obvious Arghh always used the wrong smileys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Haha i was actually grinning as I typed it Arghh maybe i should make it more obvious Arghh always used the wrong smileys
    As a punishment, you get to help lowthelore for one week as a human zamboni.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 08-31-2011 at 07:08 AM.

vCash
    I'd like to see Min-Jung Kwak try pairs, she has the right build, her 2a and 3s are solid, and her flexibility would work toward her advantage. I guess the only thing is she'd need a tallish partner, and in Korea that might be harder to find, because I think she's around 5'4" now, maybe taller idk if she's still growing.

vCash
    here's a video of Yeon Jun Park - lp
    she won the Asian trophy for seniors.. though she's only 14!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8z4S...yer_detailpage

not bad for a 14 year old..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'd like to see Min-Jung Kwak try pairs, she has the right build, her 2a and 3s are solid, and her flexibility would work toward her advantage. I guess the only thing is she'd need a tallish partner, and in Korea that might be harder to find, because I think she's around 5'4" now, maybe taller idk if she's still growing.
    Good idea but I think she is too tall as a pair skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    here's a video of Yeon Jun Park - lp
    she won the Asian trophy for seniors.. though she's only 14!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8z4S...yer_detailpage

not bad for a 14 year old..

The program feels like a cheap ripoff of Yuna Kim's Tango de Roxanne program and that costume is totally inappropriate for a fourteen-year-old girl. Yes, I know that's illusion fabric, not skin, but this is *not* the way to package a young Korean skater!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

The program feels like a cheap ripoff of Yuna Kim's Tango de Roxanne program
    That would be quite an insult to Karen Kwan.

I am not a fan of illusion fabric either and agree that her costume could have been better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast