vCash

The future of korean skating?

Haejin Kim

SP http://www.youtube.com/user/Jewelska.../0/-_5mSebYxXU
    LP http://www.youtube.com/user/Jewelska.../8/WzUXF5EM7UE

So Yeon Park

SP http://www.youtube.com/user/Jewelska.../1/4A8Pl0whL6k
    LP http://www.youtube.com/user/Jewelska.../2/eQnEDX_R9e0

i know it's early to tell, and obviously they will need a lot of improvements but i think Korean skating is bright..espcially Pyeongchang will host the 2018 olympics..both are only 13 years old. i believe Haejin Kim is already skating to 3-3.. i think she competed in New Zealand winter games..and i believe she attempted a 3F+3Lo in both her programs..
    Last edited by riveredge; 08-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.

vCash
    I really liked Hyeon-Jung Kim when I saw her skate a few years ago. Is she still skating?
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

I think Dong-Won Lee is the one to look out for, too.

He bombed Junior Worlds but had decent outings at JGP. 13 and already with a 3/3.

Dong-Won Lee - 2011 Korean Nationals

SP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yZfRRcaaLI
    FS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOi53tvh9p8&
    Last edited by Ziggy; 08-18-2011 at 01:25 AM.

vCash
    lol, i was just about to make a thread like this

i think haejin kim doesn't have the technique and basics to survive a growth spurt, but we'll just have to see. So Yeon Park is the one to look out for with better edges and stronger technique. i'm hoping the year before these two girls are elgible for worlds, yuna and min jeong can scrape the 13 placement and get 3 spots for the next worlds (or better yet in 2017 for pyeongyang)

dong won lee is something to look out for but he'll be overshadowed by nathan chen/nam nyugen unfortunately.

but... go kwak min jeong and so yeon park!

vCash

vCash

Asian Trophy 2011, Dongguan, Guangdong, China

Yeon-Jun PARK’s free skate (choreographed by Karen Kwan):
    Asian Trophy 2011, Ladies FS, Yeon-Jun PARK

Han YAN's winning free skate: He fell on the opening 3a, then landed a 4t. He moves so well. A great skate!
    Asian Trophy 2011, Men FS, Han YAN

Podium finishers:
    Senior Men
    1. Han YAN (CHN) 194.31 (2/1)
    2. Misha GE (UZB) 169.22 (1/4)
    3. Yuhang GUAN (CHN) 169.47 (3/2)
    Senior Ladies
    1. Yeon-Jun PARK (KOR) 132.84 (2/1)
    2. Jialei WANG (CHN) 123.60 (1/2)
    3. Min-Jeong KWAK (KOR) 114.90 (3/4)
    Junior Men
    1. Boyang JIN (CHN) 177.17 (1/1)
    2. Jun-Hyoung LEE (KOR) 159.86 (3/2)
    3. Dong-Won LEE (KOR) 159.47 (2/3)
    Junior Ladies
    1. Hae-Jin KIM (KOR) 139.61 (1/1)
    2. So-Yeon PARK (KOR) 125.70 (3/2)
    3. Hinano ISOBE (JPN) 123.27 (2/3)
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 08-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    I really liked Hyeon-Jung Kim when I saw her skate a few years ago. Is she still skating?
    Hyeon-Jung Kim has retired from competitive skating. She’s a college student now and coaches and choreographs for junior skaters including her brother Hwan-Jin.

Yeon-Jun Park in an interview and the senior ladies medal ceremony:
    Asian Trophy 2011, Interview with Ladies Winner and Award Ceremony

Korea now has some depth in junior ladies: Hae-Jin, So-Yeon, Ho-Jung and Yeon-Jun are all born in 1997.

After watching Han Yan’s FS for the second time, at this rate I won’t be surprised to see him develop into a medal contender at Sochi. His skating I think is better than Plush’s or Chan’s at the same age.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 08-27-2011 at 02:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Yeon-Jun PARK’s free skate (choreographed by Karen Kwan):
    Asian Trophy 2011, Ladies FS, Yeon-Jun PARK
    Who is this girl? I've never seen her before.
    Does this mean she is eligible for next Worlds in coming season?

vCash
    I liked both Yeon Jun Park and Hae Jin Kim at the Asian Trophy. I also noticed Da Bin Choi (won the Novice Ladies and already has a 3Lz and 3F). Dong Won Lee and June Hyeong Lee (both in junior men) have some potential as well, but obviously were overshadowed by Boyang Jin (CHN).
    I didn't see much improvement from Min Seok Kim (senior men), though.

vCash
    On another note, I heard that the Korean Federation has been asked to get a pair and a dance couple ready in time for 2018. :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Who is this girl? I've never seen her before.
    Does this mean she is eligible for next Worlds in coming season?
    Although Yeon-Jun competed at senior level at this particular event, she’s not age eligible for senior WC. Korea earned 5 JGP ladies spots but has only 1 JWC spot, by way of Ho-Jung Lee’s 23rd place finish at 2011 JWC. It means all of the junior ladies compete for one JWC spot at a January 2012 domestic event.

Korea’s 5 JGP spots are currently filled by Hae-Jin (2), So-Yeon (2) and Ho-Jung (1). Yeon-Jun finished 4th at the domestic qualifying event for selecting the 2012 JGP participants, so we won’t see her at an international event in 2011 as she has slim chance to fill in as a substitute.

Yeon-Jun was plagued by foot injury during 2010-2011 season, and consequently slumped. Her skating is improving now, and I think she has nice carriage and presentation. Her competing in the JGP circuit is unlikely this season, but I hope to see more of her in the future.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 08-28-2011 at 01:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    On another note, I heard that the Korean Federation has been asked to get a pair and a dance couple ready in time for 2018. :-)
    I really want to see that happen. But for that to happen, they need a rink dedicated for figure skaters’ use. Until now Korean figure skaters have to practice at odd hours, and even in those hours they share the rink with speed skaters. How can they have a decent pair or dancing team when they can’t secure enough ice time cleared for pair’s throws or ice dancer’s free skating? Seriously, I envy Georgia and Elene for having that new rink opened.

I hope Yu-Na’s efforts for a figure skating rink have a breakthrough, sooner than later. Given the steep prices of land in Korea, she cannot do it alone. Some Korean local government, either the City of Seoul or the Province of Gyounggi, should take an initiative, or at least give a help. So far, none of the politicians or local/government entities, that have called her for their publicity events and photo sessions, has lived up to the promises.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 08-27-2011 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    The young Korean girls are all very impressive but I think it might be too soon to tell with any of them as they all still look prepubescent and we all know how puberty monster can change things drastically. Min-Jung is the only one who appears to be past her big growthspurt, and even though she looks much stronger now, a lot of her jumps seemed iffy in that video. It might just be because of her injury, though.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    i'm hoping the year before these two girls are elgible for worlds, yuna and min jeong can scrape the 13 placement and get 3 spots for the next worlds (or better yet in 2017 for pyeongyang)
    I am so pleased that Yu-Na Kim has committed to remain eligible through until 2017!

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Although Yeon-Jun competed at senior level at this particular event, she’s not age eligible for senior WC. Korea earned 5 JGP ladies spots but has only 1 JWC spot, by way of Ho-Jung Lee’s 23rd place finish at 2011 JWC. It means all of the junior ladies compete for one JWC spot at a January 2012 domestic event.

Korea’s 5 JGP spots are currently filled by Hae-Jin (2), So-Yeon (2) and Ho-Jung (1). Yeon-Jun finished 4th at the domestic qualifying event for selecting the 2012 JGP participants, so we won’t see her at an international event in 2011 as she has slim chance to fill in as a substitute.

Yeon-Jun was plagued by foot injury during 2010-2011 season, and consequently slumped. Her skating is improving now, and I think she has nice carriage and presentation. Her competing in the JGP circuit is unlikely this season, but I hope to see more of her in the future.
    That's a bummer. She has decent qualities and competing on the JGP could facilitate her development. Hopefully, 3 girls will do well and give more spots so a girl like Yeon-Jun can compete next season.

vCash
    I really want to see that happen. But for that to happen, they need a rink dedicated for figure skaters’ use. Until now Korean figure skaters have to practice at odd hours, and even in those hours they share the rink with speed skaters. How can they have a decent pair or dancing team when they can’t secure enough ice time cleared for pair’s throws or ice dancer’s free skating? Seriously, I envy Georgia and Elene for having that new rink opened.

I hope Yu-Na’s efforts for a figure skating rink have a breakthrough, sooner than later. Given the steep prices of land in Korea, she cannot do it alone. Some Korean local government, either the City of Seoul or the Province of Gyounggi, should take an initiative, or at least give a help. So far, none of the politicians or local/government entities, that have called her for their publicity events and photo sessions, has lived up to the promises.
    Aside from training facilities, Korea lacks in number of boys taking up the sport. You may decide to train overseas or just buy your way to more ice time if really needed, but you can't put together pairs or dance team without boys.

I doubt they will put together a decent pair or dance team in time for Pyongchang 2018. Matching what Japanese did with their effort to come up with pairs and ice dance in Nagano 1998 will be a huge success IMO.

Bureaucrats can ponder sitting in their desks all they want, but building pair and dance teams take things that are out of their reach, like lots of time and long-term committment to relationships.

vCash
    That's a bummer. She has decent qualities and competing on the JGP could facilitate her development. Hopefully, 3 girls will do well and give more spots so a girl like Yeon-Jun can compete next season.
    JGP spots are based on JW results.

vCash
    Aside from training facilities, Korea lacks in number of boys taking up the sport. You may decide to train overseas or just buy your way to more ice time if really needed, but you can't put together pairs or dance team without boys.

I doubt they will put together a decent pair or dance team in time for Pyongchang 2018. Matching what Japanese did with their effort to come up with pairs and ice dance in Nagano 1998 will be a huge success IMO.

Bureaucrats can ponder sitting in their desks all they want, but building pair and dance teams take things that are out of their reach, like lots of time and long-term committment to relationships.
    KSU may consider the option of giving Korean citizenship to foreign (male) skaters just as Russia did to Kavaguti. (But, I am not sure current Korean law allows it) Russian federation recently decided to give citizenship to a super excellent Korean short tracker for Socchi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    KSU may consider the option of giving Korean citizenship to foreign (male) skaters just as Russia did to Kavaguti. (But, I am not sure current Korean law allows it) Russian federation recently decided to give citizenship to a super excellent Korean short tracker for Socchi.
    Scott!
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    These young Korean girls move around quite well for their age. And very impressive to have the big triples, some presence and musicality already.

They seem to be a more hopeful bunch than the Chinese girls at this stage (maybe except Li Zijun).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast