vCash

New York Drivers - insurance question

Hi all,

I recently moved to Brooklyn. I've lived in New York for over a year and had my car stored at my uncle's, but due to changes in circumstances, I've brought it to where I live. Parking isn't really a problem. I'm a safe driver and have never had a ticket or car accident. For the moment, I mostly drive to get groceries, visit friends/family in Flushing, LI or NJ, and in the fall, I'll hopefully drive it to my internship. Other relevant data: I'm 23, female, single, renting, yada yada yada. Car is an 2009 Nissan Sentra.

I'm looking for new insurance. Before I lived in OK, and had pretty good insurance. However, it's regional, and I don't believe this company would cover me if I live in NY. I pay nearly $250 a month, and that's always been expensive compared to others I know. However, that seems cheap compared to the rates I'm getting now! I've looked at Allstate, Progressive, Geico, Mercury, Travelers and Farmers, and the rates I'm getting are astronomical. It's, like, over $600 a month, which I definitely can't afford.

So my questions are:

a.) What insurance company do you have? (especially if you live in New York) How much do you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
    b.) Is insurance generally this expensive in New York City?
    c.) Would I get better rates if I call rather than do online quotes?

Thanks. I'm just having such a hard time believing that car insurance is this expensive! And here I thought that I was always way overcharged...
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    A) I have Traveler's. I was with Progressive for a few years, but I was able to get the exact same policy with Traveler's for half the price. My premium is $91.50/month. I also get a discount because I take the AAA definsive driving course every couple of years, which will knock your premium down a bit. It lowered my premium by $37 last May.

B) I wouldn't know. I live upstate, just outside of Albany (see my location).

C) Again, I'm no help. I go through an insurance agent, Schenectady Insuring, and they are actually the reason I switched from Progressive to Traveler's, because I had been a client in good standing with a clean record, so they offered to find me a better rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    a.) What insurance company do you have? (especially if you live in New York) How much do you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
    - I sent an email to my nephew in Brooklyn who insures an older model Subaru. I'll PM you when I get a response. I believe it's around $2,000/year, but I'll double check.
    - Yes, for three reasons. Due to congestion, the odds of an accident are MUCH higher than they are in less congested areas. Second, some parts of Brooklyn have drivers with less than stellar records so your actual zip code is important. If your neighbors are bad drivers, this carries over to your quotes. (btw, Park Slope is cheapest.) Finally, there is a very high auto theft rate. If your car is old, you may look for quotes on liability only and just purchase the minimum collision and comprehensive. Warning, this means you are self-insured if the car is stolen or damaged by someone else. Check your car's wholesale value on a site like Edmunds and do the math.
    Possibly. Ask someone to introduce you to their independent insurance agent. Also, ask you employer if help with insurance is part of their employee benefits program. Another option would be to call your current insurer and ask for a referral. Regionals sometimes affiliate with other regionals just for this scenario.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I've always paid more when I live in an urban area than when I live outside of one. You also tend to pay more if you're under age 25, so you can't necessarily compare the rates you're getting quoted at age 23 with those of others on this board in that area of the city who are older. And yes, car insurance in NY State tends to be more expensive than in many other regions of the US.

Are your parents available to you? Does their insurance company cover NY State? If so, you might be able to go on their insurance plan, getting the advantage of their multiple car discount.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    We go through Farmers and we pay less than $100 a month. At least that's what the last bill said. I live in NY, but in the boonies compared to the city.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Thank you so much for the info, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    - I sent an email to my nephew in Brooklyn who insures an older model Subaru. I'll PM you when I get a response. I believe it's around $2,000/year, but I'll double check.
    - Yes, for three reasons. Due to congestion, the odds of an accident are MUCH higher than they are in less congested areas. Second, some parts of Brooklyn have drivers with less than stellar records so your actual zip code is important. If your neighbors are bad drivers, this carries over to your quotes. (btw, Park Slope is cheapest.) Finally, there is a very high auto theft rate. If your car is old, you may look for quotes on liability only and just purchase the minimum collision and comprehensive. Warning, this means you are self-insured if the car is stolen or damaged by someone else. Check your car's wholesale value on a site like Edmunds and do the math.
    Possibly. Ask someone to introduce you to their independent insurance agent. Also, ask you employer if help with insurance is part of their employee benefits program. Another option would be to call your current insurer and ask for a referral. Regionals sometimes affiliate with other regionals just for this scenario.
    Thanks for the info. I live in the Slope, so I guess that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Are your parents available to you? Does their insurance company cover NY State? If so, you might be able to go on their insurance plan, getting the advantage of their multiple car discount.
    I wish it were an option We just got our green cards, but my parents are still in Colombia. The only other person in my family with a US driver's license is my younger sister.

vCash
    I wish it were an option We just got our green cards, but my parents are still in Colombia. The only other person in my family with a US driver's license is my younger sister.
    Given the situation, getting a referral from your current carrier or getting introduced to an insurance agent is probably your best bet.

Another thing to look into is discounts for things like belonging to AAA, affiliation with any university, that sort of thing. An insurance agent should help you figure out what discounts you can get.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I'm not in New York, so I don't know if this applies, but, have you asked about, or indicated that you aren't using the car for commuting? If you only use the vehicle for "recreational use" which it seems you do, it could be less. You may have to indicate that to them. Just a thought.

vCash
    Maintaining a car in NYC is outrageously expensive, due in no small part to the insurance premiums. That's why most people here don't bother with cars.

I do have a friend in Brooklyn (Williamsburg) who used to live in Pennsylvania. I believe his car is still registered in Pennsylvania so he can pay a lower insurance. As far as the insurance company knows, he's still living in PA, but he's actually been living in Brooklyn for at least a decade. I do not recommend you try this method.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I agree. I wouldn't have my car here if I had somewhere else to keep it, but I don't. As for your friend....that's kind of where I'm at right now. And what I'm trying to change.

I don't get why I'm such a risk. I mean, I do, single, young, license for less than 3 years, but "high risk" (as an agent from a company referred to me) - really?

I'm trying to contact a college friend who lives in MO, and has more accidents than I can count to see where she gets her insurance.

vCash
    Okay this is kind of sort of off topic, but I have a question since I'll be moving to NYC in May for school--whats your cost of living per month like? I've been doing some calculations but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
    Also a very talkative cab driver told me that to insure one car in NYC it could cost as much as $4,000 a year. I was shocked.

vCash
    You should definitely get a AAA membership if you don't have it already. I get a 5% discount on my auto insurance thanks to that so the membership basically pays for itself, and you get free roadside assistance and a bunch of discounts for hotels, event tickets, car rentals etc on top of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Okay this is kind of sort of off topic, but I have a question since I'll be moving to NYC in May for school--whats your cost of living per month like? I've been doing some calculations but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
    Also a very talkative cab driver told me that to insure one car in NYC it could cost as much as $4,000 a year. I was shocked.
    I PM'ed you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I do have a friend in Brooklyn (Williamsburg) who used to live in Pennsylvania. I believe his car is still registered in Pennsylvania so he can pay a lower insurance. As far as the insurance company knows, he's still living in PA, but he's actually been living in Brooklyn for at least a decade. I do not recommend you try this method.
    I second that. If he ever gets in an accident your friend would be in some deep shit.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/resident.htm

Definition of a Resident. If you become a resident of NYS, you must exchange your driver license and vehicle registration from another state for a NYS driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days.

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of NYS. For example, if you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. The DMV will not decide if you are a resident of NYS, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in NYS.

According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS.

vCash
    I'm trying to contact a college friend who lives in MO, and has more accidents than I can count to see where she gets her insurance.
    Why would you ask someone living in MO??

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/insurance.htm

The liability coverage must be NYS insurance coverage, issued by a company authorized to do business in NYS and licensed by the NYS Insurance Department. Out-of-state insurance coverage of any type is NEVER acceptable or valid. If your vehicle is registered in NYS, the liability insurance coverage must be NYS insurance coverage.

vCash
    Because she might have a nationwide plan, and I know she's hard to insure, so perhaps she can refer me to someone who gives good rates.

vCash
    Because she might have a nationwide plan, and I know she's hard to insure, so perhaps she can refer me to someone who gives good rates.

What a "nationwide" plan?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    It's been suggested by others up thread so I'll piggyback. You need to contact an independent insurance broker - let them do all this leg/phone work.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    What a "nationwide" plan?
    I don't know what a nationwide plan is. There is no such thing. There are insurers who operate in multiple states including NY, like State Farm. But each plan would be specific to the driver and the driver's state.

I'm thinking Oleada is hoping that if her friend, who is a "troubled driver", is able to get a good rate in MO, that if she uses the same company in NY, her rate may be decent.

Oleada, others have said that you need to contact an independent insurance *broker* in New York. I will emphasize that. An insurance broker doesn't work for any one insurance company, so they will give you a bunch of plans and prices to choose from, all applicable to you, your age, your driving history, your car type, your neighborhood.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm definitely contacting an independent broker, and I'm also planning to take an online defensive driver course to lower my rates.