Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I always liked Yuka Sato's 3 loop and 3 salcow.

vCash
    I always liked the placement of the loop in Mao's Fantastie Impromptu LP. It fitted the music quite well.

I also like Mirai's loops when she is on.

vCash
    Irina Slutskaya's definitely the best. Difficult entrance, power, height but also kind of grace and elegance to it.

vCash
    ITA with Bartek about Irina's triple loop.

Although I liked Yuka's skating overall, her jumps always seemed labored to me.

vCash
    Irina's loops definitely. When watching her preparing for loops I can literally feel my heartbeat in the moment! I'll say everything bartek said above yet again endlessly when it comes to triple loop.
    '

vCash
    I love Joannie's at the 0:18 second mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLW3yVXJjio
    from Junior Worlds..

Also random question: anyone know any skaters who skid their loop entrance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenie View Post
    Also random question: anyone know any skaters who skid their loop entrance?
    How in the heck does one intentionally skid a loop entrance? Sorry, it makes no sense.

vCash
    Patrick Chan has a triple loop in his new show program! This link is from Korea this week:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmu6MXfeKW8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    How in the heck does one intentionally skid a loop entrance? Sorry, it makes no sense.
    By prerotating it, similar to how people skid axels. It's usually just bad technique. I've seen skaters with doubles do it but never skaters with triples. Just wondering if anyone knows of a skater with a triple loop who does it.

vCash
    Don't most skaters pre-rotate their loop? It's hard not to.

vCash
    Sure, every jump has some prerotation. But I was wondering if anyone knows a (relatively) well-known skater who skids their loop entrance. (skidding = subset of people who prerotate).

vCash
    Sure, every jump has some prerotation. But I was wondering if anyone knows a (relatively) well-known skater who skids their loop entrance. (skidding = subset of people who prerotate).
    Sarah Hughes in her 3Sal/3Loop or 3Toe/3Loop combos ? Tara Lipinski in her 3Loop/3Loop combo ?

vCash
    Matt Savoie immediately came to mind re the men, since his jumps always came out of lovely footwork in beautiful sync with great music. At 4:03 in the below clip (2005 Nats LP) Matt performs a nice triple loop. I'm not sure whether it was his favorite jump though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBL9...eature=related

Below is the 2005 Nats SP from Matt. As a poster states, it gives chills, and his 4th place showing in this SP is a definite head-scratcher. Although in his above lp, Matt doubled a couple of jumps, I still disagree with Matt coming in 4th behind Evan L., who was sent to his first Worlds that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0

Tom Dickson's choreo and Matt's skating = a revelation.

vCash
    Has anyone mentioned Caryn Kadavy? It was her money jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AXU...eature=related

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Sarah Hughes in her 3Sal/3Loop or 3Toe/3Loop combos ? Tara Lipinski in her 3Loop/3Loop combo ?
    neither of them skid their loop entrance.

vCash
    neither of them skid their loop entrance.
    So I don't understand what "skid" means.
    The Loop as second jump in a combo is always pre-rotated. And sometimes, it's pre-rotated by more than half of a turn ! That is the case of Sarah Hughes.

vCash
    Skidding has to do with the angle of the blade on the ice right before take-off. On the 2 and 3A you can see ice being kicked off the ice as the blade makes a right angle with the ice when the free leg kicked through. For the loop to have a skid entrance, the take off would have to be similar like a skid spiral, when Robin Cousin does a RBO spiral skidding into a RFI spiral, you can see the skid mark on the ice. The skater would lose all speed for the 2 or 3 loop if he tries a similar skid entrance on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Skidding has to do with the angle of the blade on the ice right before take-off. On the 2 and 3A you can see ice being kicked off the ice as the blade makes a right angle with the ice when the free leg kicked through. For the loop to have a skid entrance, the take off would have to be similar like a skid spiral, when Robin Cousin does a RBO spiral skidding into a RFI spiral, you can see the skid mark on the ice. The skater would lose all speed for the 2 or 3 loop if he tries a similar skid entrance on it.
    ^^^THIS!

Pre-rotation is not the same as skidding and on the axel and the loop I think the two things are mutually exclusive. I can't see a way to pre-rotate an axel like the other edge jumps - you have to skid it to pre-rotate it.

With any of the salchow or loop you can pre-rotate (by literally turning on the ice) but not by skidding. Checking the markings on the ice will show the edge come around and then the pick mark on the ice being closer to forward or past it, than backwards.

vCash
    I used to skid both my (single) axel and loop takeoffs when I was first learning them. You could tell from the wide shaved mark on the ice as opposed to a clean edge.

I don't skid the loop any more.

I don't try the axel any more. But there was a period when I was skidding it and prerotating it, turned past forward by the time the blade left the ice. I think we have seen that with some triple axels. (Michael Weiss comes to mind.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I used to skid both my (single) axel and loop takeoffs when I was first learning them. You could tell from the wide shaved mark on the ice as opposed to a clean edge.
    Did you find on the loop that it slowed you down too much? I wonder if it would slow you down too much to get any length on the jump or much in the way of flow on the landing.

I find i pre-rotate my loop quite often but i can't imagine skidding it....perhaps because I don't have much speed and if i skidded the take off i'd come to a stand still

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast