Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    I don't know. I never got a lot of distance on any jumps harder than salchow -- with the loop, maybe at best a full blade length between takeoff and landing. I don't think the skidding made a difference.

vCash
    If you leave a clear skid mark on your loop take-off then something is wrong with your technique. Your coach should jump in and correct it immediately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    when Robin Cousin does a RBO spiral skidding into a RFI spiral, you can see the skid mark on the ice.
    OK I am just the most immature person ever, but

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    If you leave a clear skid mark on your loop take-off then something is wrong with your technique. Your coach should jump in and correct it immediately.
    I agree. I guess that's why we can't name any skaters with a triple loop who skid it...

vCash
    Laetitia Hubert always had impressive jumps, and this 3Loop was very nice :

http://youtu.be/Xh13Rlf1IfI?t=40s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I tend to associate the loop more with the ladies as the guys focus more on the 3axel and quad. The more impressive ones for me came from skaters like Czako, Harding and Butryskaya had a great one.
    I think Oksana Baiul had a pretty terrific triple loop too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uZyc...utu.be&t=1m30s
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 08-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Matt Savoie immediately came to mind re the men, since his jumps always came out of lovely footwork in beautiful sync with great music. At 4:03 in the below clip (2005 Nats LP) Matt performs a nice triple loop. I'm not sure whether it was his favorite jump though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBL9...eature=related

Below is the 2005 Nats SP from Matt. As a poster states, it gives chills, and his 4th place showing in this SP is a definite head-scratcher. Although in his above lp, Matt doubled a couple of jumps, I still disagree with Matt coming in 4th behind Evan L., who was sent to his first Worlds that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAsNpBJbk0

Tom Dickson's choreo and Matt's skating = a revelation.
    I really feel sad and regretful every time I see Matt Savoie's programs. I love his transitions through and out of jumps, every element and oh his briliant footwork in his performances but it's a shame such a talented skater couldn't thrive as much as other successful skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I really feel sad and regretful every time I see Matt Savoie's programs. I love his transitions through and out of jumps, every element and oh his brilliant footwork in his performances but it's a shame such a talented skater couldn't thrive as much as other successful skaters.
    Yes, l'etoile, it's strange to look back and see Matt receiving scores like 5.1; 5.4, and 5.5 for his 2005 Nats sp. I had forgotten, but Evan L. received a 6.0 for his sp in the same competition! While Evan was puppy dog cute, overjoyed at the end (which can influence judges), and skated a competent and energetic program, a mark of 6.0 for his performance to me says more about skating politics than it does re artistic or technical perfection. It is fun though to see the young, enthusiastic Evan in this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWdSzNdiZE

Evan was the hot, up-and-coming skater, and Matt was the veteran who had not previously fared well at Worlds. Perhaps Matt's more introspective personality as a skater hampered him, at least in the view of the judges unfortunately (Dick Button also alluded to this possibility). Still, the marks Matt received for his performance vs those for Evan's are dumbfounding. I don't think about that however when I watch Matt skate -- what he created on the ice remains uplifting. Sad to me was seeing Matt's reaction to the marks after having given his all on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I really feel sad and regretful every time I see Matt Savoie's programs. I love his transitions through and out of jumps, every element and oh his briliant footwork in his performances but it's a shame such a talented skater couldn't thrive as much as other successful skaters.
    Savoie was born a little too early. By the time the COP started giving credit for transitions, he was nearing the end of his eligible career. If he was starting his career at that time, he would have been rewarded well. I loved his SP & LP at the 2006 US nationals.

vCash
    Interesting view point Vash01. Different results for Savoie might have been possible under different scenarios but time and circumstances can not be bended, much less can we with certainty know what judges' decisions would be under any scoring system.

I think Matt was born at exactly the right time, and his contributions to figure skating can never be measured by judges' marks, medals won or not won. Matt's skating is a treasure to behold upon every viewing, and he is definitely one of the best of his or any generation.

I agree with you re his wonderful 2006 programs performed at U.S. Nationals and the Olympics.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 08-27-2011 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    I don't know, I sometimes think what if Matt was skating in the middle of current judging system say from 2007. I heard that he's a lawyer now and it looks like he's had no regret for his skating career? Anyway, his skating skills were really memorable and he had very impressive triple loops

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234