View Poll Results: Will Russia bounce back to win at least 1 Gold Medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympics?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

125 82.24%
  • No

7 4.61%
  • Don't Know/Too early to tell?

20 13.16%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Will Russia bounce back to win at least 1 gold medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympics?

The 2010 Olympics were a disaster for Russia compared to previous Olympics. They came away with just one silver and 1 bronze. From 1976 - 2006 (as the Soviet Union, the Unified Team, and Russia) they won at least 2 gold medals in each Olympics except 1984 when they won 1. From 1964 - 1972, they won 1 gold in each Olympics in an era when there were just 3 events with no Ice Dance. Hence, 2010 was there worst Olympics since 1960 when they came away with absolutely nothing (1960 was the Squaw Valley Olympics which were a triumph for the United States - winning 2 Gold and 2 bronze - at the height of its supremacy just before the tragedy of the Sabena Flight 548 air disaster in 1961). In essence, ever since the Sabena Flight 548 air disaster in 1961, Russia has dominated figure skating for the most part right up to 2006. At the 2010 Olympics, however, Asia and North America shared the spoils with 2 Gold Medals apiece (the United States and China topping the medal table with a Gold and a Silver each)

Accordingly, with the Olympics coming up in Sochi in 2014, will Russia bounce back to take at least 1 Gold Medal?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 08-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    i think it's a little to early to talk about that but one thing is for sure they will face some tough competition..

vCash
    I voted yes, it looks like at least V/T and Sotnikova will be contenders for gold.

vCash
    It's hard to tell who will win that gold, but I think it's a reasonable expectation that Russia will win at least one gold in Sochi. I am sure they are very motivated after the 2010 Olympics disaster, and will get the support from their govt.

vCash
    They will win atleast one of pairs or womens, quite possibly both. They could be contenders for gold in the mens and dance by then, least likely the dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    In essence, ever since the Sabena Flight 548 air disaster in 1961, Russia has dominated figure skating for the most part right up to 2006.
    This is rewriting history. The Soviet Union did dominate the pairs and dance disciplines throughout the 1960's, but it didn't even have a World medalist in singles until 1971. Russian (or, for that matter Ukrainian) domination of singles didn't really start until after the breakup of the Soviet Union in the early 1990's.

You could look it up.

vCash
    Russia/USSR has never dominated in ladies singles. By 2014 they may have some strong contenders. Their main competition might be from Japan. I suspect by that time the USA ladies will be strong too.

vCash
    I dont see Japan being major contenders for the ladies in 2014. A 26 year old Ando wont be a contender by then, Asada sadly looks finished, and Murakami isnt really developing that well as a senior so far. If Japan is all Russia has to worry about for the ladies come 2014 then that is great news for them, give them the gold and silver now in that case.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGUaMHPaTHs

Here is Adelina Sotnikova's SP & LP at the nationals. She has the jumps, spins, flexibility. I don't see the maturity yet, but she has over 2 years to develop that. How old is she now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGUaMHPaTHs

Here is Adelina Sotnikova's SP & LP at the nationals. She has the jumps, spins, flexibility. I don't see the maturity yet, but she has over 2 years to develop that. How old is she now?
    She is 15 years now - born one (1!) day too late to compete at this seasons Europeans and Worlds.

__________________________________________________ ________
    visit the danish figure skating blog: www.sequinsgalore.blogspot.com

vCash
    I think it's too early to predict anything now. I just hope Russia learns that they need to train all the athletes in case something happens to their "stars" that they didn't anticipate. If shortly before Sochi they have a dq or an injury or illness; they need to have everyone prepared to step in, and whoever steps in needs to have the same training as the top athletes in the nation not just the leftovers.

I also don't feel Canada was such a disaster as some think; some of those teams in particular hadn't been together for very long.
    Last edited by julieann; 08-14-2011 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    This is rewriting history. The Soviet Union did dominate the pairs and dance disciplines throughout the 1960's, but it didn't even have a World medalist in singles until 1971. Russian (or, for that matter Ukrainian) domination of singles didn't really start until after the breakup of the Soviet Union in the early 1990's.

You could look it up.
    You will note that I said 'for the most part' (i.e. in general - they of course did not dominate each and every event. Instead, there dominance was in terms of medal numbers) - and the Olympic stats back that up:-

1964 1 Gold (Joint 2nd in medal table behind Germany who had a Gold and a Silver. Canada also won two medals - both Bronze - and in some medal tables they finished joint 1st with Germany)
    1968 1 Gold, 1 Silver (Joint 1st in medal table with United States)
    1972 1 Gold, 2 Silver (1st in medal table)
    1976 2 Gold, 2 Silver (1st in medal table)
    1980 2 Gold, 1 Silver 1 Bronze (1st in medal table)
    1984 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze (1st in medal table)
    1988 2 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze (1st in medal table)
    1992 3 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze (1st in medal table)
    1994 3 Gold, 2 Silver (1st in medal table)
    1998 3 Gold, 2 Silver (1st in medal table)
    2002 2 Gold, 3 Silver (1st in medal table)
    2006 3 Gold, 1 Bronze (1st in medal table)

Hence, from 1968 to 2006, they were first in the medal table at every Olympics. Now that's what I call dominance. Vash01 makes a valid point in that they have been weaker in the ladies - but my point was that for the most part in general in terms of medal numbers across the board (i.e. all 4 events), Russia had dominated figure skating for around 40 years until they came unstuck at the last Olympics.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 08-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.

vCash
    If anything, V/T will grab gold in pairs.

I'm a little perplexed by Sotnikova being anointed a gold medal contender. She's not THAT dominating. Her score at Jr. Worlds was only 13 pts. or so higher than an imperfect Zawadzki

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'm a little perplexed by Sotnikova being anointed a gold medal contender. She's not THAT dominating. Her score at Jr. Worlds was only 13 pts. or so higher than an imperfect Zawadzki
    Also, some of those smaller ladies still have some growing to do and that may hurt their future.

vCash

Who do you expect to win gold in Sochi if not Sotnikova. Kim seems bored and not even wanting to compete anymore. Mao is a big question mark at this point. The Americans arent likely to produce the gold medalist.

vCash

IMO it's too early to crown V&T with an Olympic gold. They did well at this year's worlds and logic says they will get better. However, even one injury could slow down their progress. We don't know yet if they can handle the pressure of being the favorites (in case they reach that status/level). S&S are dominating pairs right now and barring injury they are likely to stay at that level or get even better. I would love to see a Russian pair win the gold in Sochi, because I have been a big fan of Russian pairs for years. However, I am only cautiously optimistic at this point.

vCash
    Why do you think S/S will get better?

I certainly don't see any team beside V/T or S/S winning in Sochi, though.

vCash
    Sotnikova wasn't perfect either, and it was Zawadzki's best competition in the whole season actually... To see how dominating Adelina is we should wait at least for Grand Prix and see her scores as a senior competing with seniors. Right now I would say the judges really like what they see.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Who do you expect to win gold in Sochi if not Sotnikova. Kim seems bored and not even wanting to compete anymore. Mao is a big question mark at this point. The Americans arent likely to produce the gold medalist.
    There are still Liza, you know. She has the cleanest jump technique in the World right now and is going to do 3A. I expect (and hope) a good rivalry between her and Adelina

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Why do you think S/S will get better?

I certainly don't see any team beside V/T or S/S winning in Sochi, though.
    Because you cannot predict whether a skater/pair will stop growing or not. I am not even a S&S fan, but I am not going to say they will not get better. Anyone that continues to skate has a chance to.

I would not crown either of these two pairs yet as Olympic champs because Sochi is more than 2 years away. Other pairs have the time to develop and challenge them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequinsgalore View Post
    She is 15 years now - born one (1!) day too late to compete at this seasons Europeans and Worlds.

__________________________________________________ ________
    visit the danish figure skating blog: www.sequinsgalore.blogspot.com
    Tough luck! Anyway, this may give her a chance to polish her presentation and challenge for a podium spot in 2013. That should place her in a good position for the 2014 Olys.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast