View Poll Results: Which 2010 Olympic champion has the best chance of winning the OGM in 2014?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yu na Kim

33 17.65%
  • Evan Lysacek

13 6.95%
  • Virtue & Moir

105 56.15%
  • None

36 19.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Which 2010 Olympic champion has the best chance of repeating as Oly champion in 2014?

The pairs champions Shen & Zhao have retired, but the other three are still eligible and might compete in Sochi. Who has the best chance of repeating as Olympic champion in 2014?

vCash
    You never know... Shen and Zhao could come back in 2013-2014 saying they want another gold to prove that China is still a dominant pairs country. Or for redemption for that silly error on the lift that they made.

vCash
    Virtue & Moir by a HUGE margin. I dont even neccessarily think they will, but they have roughly a 50% chance. An unmotivated and bored Yu Na Kim has a 10% chance around, and Evan has about a 0.1% chance.

vCash
    None. I would say Virtue/Moir, but I don't see them compete until Sochi. Who knows, though?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Virtue/Moir.

vCash
    If Yu Na Kim actually finds motivation to want to win again though she has a very good chance IMO. If she makes it to Sochi and skates like she did in Moscow she will probably be looking at a 7th place finish though.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Kim really needed Orser.

vCash
    It's not a realistic question, three years away from Soichi. The landscape changes yearly...hell, monthly. Who knows what will happen b/w now and Soichi? There's always the issue of injury, partnerships splitting up (it does happen), loss of motivation, personal circumstance, not to mention the entry of new skaters into the mix. There are just too many things to factor in...

As always, it's something we'll have to wait and see...it's a better question to ask at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season, not the 2011-2012 season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's not a realistic question, three years away from Soichi. The landscape changes yearly...hell, monthly. Who knows what will happen b/w now and Soichi? There's always the issue of injury, partnerships splitting up (it does happen), loss of motivation, personal circumstance, not to mention the entry of new skaters into the mix. There are just too many things to factor in...

As always, it's something we'll have to wait and see...it's a better question to ask at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season, not the 2011-2012 season...
    We are not forecasting weather here.

As skating fans we can make predictions anytime we want. It's for fun, and not to be taken too seriously.

vCash
    If each of them compete healthy at Sochi, I think all three – Lysacek, Kim and V/M – have fair chances to enter as one of the favorites, although Lysacek would need a quad given the technical contents and skating a healthy Chan could bring.

I would give V/M better odds at this point, since Sochi is still 3 seasons away and, despite the recent injuries to Tessa, I think ice dancers generally have better chance to withstand wear and tear.

vCash
    Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if Shen and Zhao returned for the 2014 Olympics. Didn't they say they were going to retire after the 2007 worlds, and then they came back for the 2010 Olympics?

I think Virtue and Moir are the only ones who can possibly repeat, but more likely, I see a Russian team on top in 2014.

vCash
    IMO S&Z came back for 2010 because- 1)they felt dissatisfied with just a bronze medal in 2006 (IMO they should have won the silver then), 2)they saw that the pairs field had weakened considerably since Russia did not have a strong enough pair, which improved their chances of finally winning the OGM.

Now that they have the OGM, I doubt they will want to return to competition. Hongbo is already quite old, and they may just enjoy life from now on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

Hongbo is already quite old, and they may just enjoy life from now on.
    In figure skating years. Not in real life! Your phrasing makes it sound as if he is ready for nursing care and soft food.

vCash
    The only reason Shen & Zhou returned is because of their lack of Olympic Gold. Now that they have it there is no way they would return. Also they did not totally retire after 2007, they did say they might return by Vancouver.

Anyway their chances of defeat in a potential 2014 return would be MUCH higher than 2010. 2010 they had no competition other than it turns out a badly slumping Savchenko & Szolkowy who choked in the Olympic year, and everyone was on their bandwagon and desperately wanting them to win, including the judges. 2014 they would be facing a set of very strong Russian pairs on home ice, especialy Volosozhar & Trankov, likely a much better prepared German pair, they would in no way be the sentinmental favorites either until 2010, and he would be over 40. Knowing that would also kill whatever miniscule thoughts of a return might have ever existed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The only reason Shen & Zhou returned is because of their lack of Olympic Gold. Now that they have it there is no way they would return. Also they did not totally retire after 2007, they did say they might return by Vancouver.
    I don't see them returning and I see no reason for them to do so--they have nothing left to prove in the sport. And Hongbo's age is a factor for skating. Xue is reaching that point as well.

But they certainly are not so old that they need to enjoy the view from nursing care and spend their time delinting the tennis balls on the legs of their walkers.

vCash
    I read an article that said S/Z will be out of ice but just focusing on directing the shows for a while after Yuna's shows in Korea. If I remember correctly, they were planning to have a baby, ready to grow into a whole family Given the show performances by them since Vancouver were all very well-received and they really seem to enjoy their lives, I think 2010 OGM would be it for them. I think it's time for the next generation - P/T to shine for chinese skating. S/Z's reign is long and magnificent already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    In figure skating years. Not in real life! Your phrasing makes it sound as if he is ready for nursing care and soft food.
    We are talking of FS, aren't we? At 27, we were saying Plushy was 'old'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    We are talking of FS, aren't we? At 27, we were saying Plushy was 'old'.
    I wasn't criticizing. Just your phrasing and coupling it with the bit about enjoying life gave me a vision of Hongbo, at all of not quite 38, pulling up his wheelchair to the table in the common room at the nursing home for a lunch of soft foods.

vCash
    To answer the question, only Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I wasn't criticizing. Just your phrasing and coupling it with the bit about enjoying life gave me a vision of Hongbo, at all of not quite 38, pulling up his wheelchair to the table in the common room at the nursing home for a lunch of soft foods.
    Thank you for that image. I needed the comic relief.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast