Thread: OFF-ICE HARNESS

vCash

OFF-ICE HARNESS

Hi,

A coach at our rink has asked our club to purchase one of these Off Ice Harness's for the rink http://www.skatingcircle.com/videos/819
    Just wondering if anyone out there has one in their rink and if so pro's and con's. It's going to cost us around the $2500.00Au mark to purchase and install so I would like to think it's not going to be a white elephant that only some can use.

Any answers appreciated.

Thanks!

Watch me move
    vCash
    How many skaters are in your club, and what level are they at with their jumps? It doesn't look like this would be something you would need to teach single jumps.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    At Oakleigh in Melbourne they have an on-ice harness that is a similar mechanism (harness with a pulley mechanism). It runs on a wire track across the rink so skaters can enter jumps but could be used as a stand still option. It gets used quite a bit by the coaches.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I have never heard of an off ice harness. Unless you are a major training center, it doesn't seem like it is a necessary purchase. An on-ice system would make a lot more sense (though almost every rink has one, so maybe you already do). Or a Dartfish system (a local club has one, those are more rare though)

vCash
    An off-ice harness is stationary and used to conduct rotational training for fast, tight spins and jumps. It's typically more beneficial for doubles and triples because it helps correct alignment and pull-in. Those coaches that have access to it can use it to correct leg wraps on jumps as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltgxgEl1GI

The more common harness most people know is the cable-and-pulley version that runs over part of the ice surface. Skaters and coaches follow the "track" to work on jumps and spins. It's a different tool, as is the pole harness. The pole harness' advantage is that the coach/harness assist the skater whereever they want to go on the ice. They're not restricted to a guide wire track.

I think a harness system is a good idea, but unless you have a lot of off-ice programs and coaches, the off-ice harness will only be used by a few coaches periodically. I think the on-ice harness is probably more beneficial. The pole harness requires a skilled coach with some good muscle.

vCash
    Thanks for your replys.
    Our club has around 100 skater members that range from beginners right through to Senior level.
    We already have a Track - on ice harness system and a couple of coaches have the hand held harnesses. So thanks for your input.
    I'm still hopeful to hear from someone who has used one of these or has one at the rink,they train at.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Oz_sk8ting_mum; 08-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Looks like it could be helpful. If you can get the rotation off the ice then you're more likely to get it on the ice.

vCash
    An old coach of mine in Perth used to have something set up at his house for our off ice training. It was helpful, although, my jumps were better after I changed to a different coaching team who did not use the harness. Unless you have A LOT of skaters learning higher level doubles and triples, with a consistent off ice program, its probably not necessary...

vCash
    I wish I could have taken advantage of the harness better, but I always feel like I'm in slow motion in the air when I'm on it :-(
    Instagram: @TimmyDavid
    Twitter: @TimmyDavid1979