View Poll Results: Who will be the Third Russian Lady at Worlds?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anna Ovcharova

6 9.23%
  • Sofia Biryukova

14 21.54%
  • Polina Agafonova

9 13.85%
  • Polina Shelepen

31 47.69%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who will be the Third Russian Lady at Worlds?

As know, Liza and Adelina are competing in the senior ranks on the GP this season, but are not eligible for Senior Worlds. Assuming that Leonova and Makarova make the team again, who do you think will be the third member?

My vote is Shelepen. I know she didn't have the best season, but the way she handled that crazy growth spurt is to be commended.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urx6k3mE2Aw

Compared to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_Kc3W_PFc

What do ya'll think?

vCash
    Sofia
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 08-15-2011 at 07:03 AM.

vCash
    Rosa Sheveleva

vCash
    I'm thinking Rosa Sheveleva could make a huge impact with her big jumps, nice basics and style and no edge calls.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I voted for Polina Shelepen, but I think it will be between her and Rosa Sheveleva, I expect improvements from both of them this season. I like Sofia very much, but she is too inconsistent, but if she's on I think she has a pretty good chance to get that spot too

vCash
    I voted for Sofia. She has one year experience now. Unless she totally bombs, she will get the spot.

I am not sure Makarova's spot is safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Rosa Sheveleva
    Yep, go Rosa!

vCash
    I haven't seen enough of Sheveleva to make an educated assessment. I really like Polina Shelepen though. She was my first favorite of the Russian Babies. I paid a lot of attention to her year before last, when she was competing against Kanako. Her growth spurt has given her a gorgeous appearance on the ice (very long and statuesque looking) and it's helped her speed as well. Her technique isn't rock solid, but she's another Russian lady who can jump out of the building. Also, of all of the Russian leaders I've seen, she's got the best spins. It irks me how awful the majority of the Russian ladies' spins are...

Polina gets rattled during competitions and often implodes a bit. If she can get her nerves under control, she'd probably be head to head with Sotnikova...ahead of Tuktamisheva. Liza T has a lot of good qualities but her jumps don't leave as big an impact as Adelina's and Polina's.

I hope Polina has a good year...it'd be great to see her in that 3rd spot.

vCash
    I hope that it is a healthy Anna Ovcharova. But we don't know yet how fit she is after her injury.

My second hope is Rosa Sheveleva. She has gorgeous jumps and expression as well.

Polina Agafanova has had a growth spurt it seems. It remains to be seen how that will affect her. But I guess that her and Sofia are not very likely to get the third spot.

vCash
    Didn't Shelepen decide not to compete on Senior circuit this season?

vCash
    Polina Shelepen

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I'm afraid it will be Shelepen but I'm hoping for Sheveleva. She is just lovely
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am not sure Makarova's spot is safe.
    Why? Neither is Leonova's in this case. I love both of them, but they do have some problems mainly with emotions during the skating. It all depends on what they show at the Nationals, actually.

However, I really can't choose any of the skaters above as a candidate for the third lady. I am not sure in any of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Polina gets rattled during competitions and often implodes a bit. If she can get her nerves under control, she'd probably be head to head with Sotnikova...ahead of Tuktamisheva. Liza T has a lot of good qualities but her jumps don't leave as big an impact as Adelina's and Polina's.
    Liza's jump technique is probably the best among Russian ladies. She has no problems with edges or UR.
    Polina's flip is lip and she tended to UR some jumps during last season. They both skated clean at Russian Junior Champs and Liza scored 17 points higher than Polina.

At this very competition Rosa beat Polina in the FS even though she singled one jump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q4FVEAt0xk
    Yes, Rosa's spins are not as good as Polina's but in terms of PCS Polina is nowhere near Rosa.
    Last year was way better for Rosa then the 09-10, she became more consistent. I hope this season she will develop all her great qualities and hold nerves at Nats. In that case I don't think Polina will have any chances.

I like Polina, but her coach is not good at teaching basics... The same goes for Julia Lipnitskaya.

vCash
    ^^Lipnitskaya has some cool tricks, but I watched her performance from nationals last year and got a bit irritated with how many times she pulled her leg up behind her! Yes, you're freakishly flexible; do something else please.

In terms of Polina S. and Liza T, Liza T is definitely the front-runner. ITA, her technique is the best out of the Russian girls right now...I'm just waiting for her body to catch up to her technique. She's still very tiny (unless she's hit her growth spurt in the last two or three months) and that takes away from her impact on the ice. I think a little height will make her faster and make her jumps bigger. Until that happens, she still looks like a little girl next to Adelina, Polina S., etc. even though they're all pretty much the same age.

Like I said, I haven't seen enough of Sheveleva yet. I might need to go YT a couple of her programs and get better acquainted. Is she on the JGP this year? I'm hoping to see more of her and the rest of the Russian and American girls. It upsets me how no one covers the JGP other than the final. IMO, the JGP was far more interesting and entertaining than the senior GP...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^Lipnitskaya has some cool tricks, but I watched her performance from nationals last year and got a bit irritated with how many times she pulled her leg up behind her! Yes, you're freakishly flexible; do something else please.

Like I said, I haven't seen enough of Sheveleva yet. I might need to go YT a couple of her programs and get better acquainted. Is she on the JGP this year? I'm hoping to see more of her and the rest of the Russian and American girls. It upsets me how no one covers the JGP other than the final. IMO, the JGP was far more interesting and entertaining than the senior GP...
    Lipnitskaya just turned 13. So she was just 12 at last year's nationals. You may be judging her too harshly. Please give her some time to mature.

I have never seen Sheveleva skate, so the first thing to do for me will be to see her program(s), probably tonight. I agree with you about the JGP. Even though many of the JGP winners drop out eventually at the senior level, it is still interesting to see what the future may bring.

vCash
    Sheveleva's 5th place FS from Russian Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H9S1rmZQs
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Sheveleva's 5th place FS from Russian Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H9S1rmZQs
    That was lovely! I prefer her so much to Shelepen - cleaner, neater, and her all around basics are just so much stronger.

vCash
    Anya Ovcharova, I sincerely hope...if she skates & looks as she did two seasons ago, pre-injury.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Sad times when the Russians have 3 women that qualified for Worlds and the US is still stuck at 2. That really is something to be embarrassed about quite frankly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast