View Poll Results: Can Ilinykh and Katsalapov win Olympic Gold in 2014?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 21.97%
  • No

70 40.46%
  • Too early to tell

65 37.57%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think they will be 3rd or 4th in 2014, and rise after that.

vCash
    Personally I somehow doubt we are going to see both V/M and D/W on the podium in Sochi, something tells me the Canton group is going to hit turbulent time leading into Olympics. I am 100% confident that both B/S and I/K will be in the hunt for all three colors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Personally I somehow doubt we are going to see both V/M and D/W on the podium in Sochi, something tells me the Canton group is going to hit turbulent time leading into Olympics. I am 100% confident that both B/S and I/K will be in the hunt for all three colors.
    Well, I somehow doubt anyone who is 100% confident when it comes to figure skating.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    And Elena is one of those charismatic skaters; she has that "it" factor.
    People keep saying that, and I keep looking for it, but I just do not see "it". Last year, what her performances reminded me of was sort of the skating equivalent of a little girl playing dress up in her mother's clothes. She had all the posing and posturing, but was really pretty clueless about what it all meant or how to make it really work.

vCash
    B/S couldnt even beat Crone & Poirier at the GPF or the Shibutanis at Worlds. They have even had trouble beating Weaver & Poje this year. They have been behind teams their own age or younger since day 1 and still are today. If they are lucky they will have an outside shot at the bronze medal in Sochi. While I have my doubts about I/K as well I will say that the Russians had better hope I/K or some other team is their #1 by Sochi. If B/S are still their #1 then they will be in rough shape.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Susan M;3263054]People keep saying that, and I keep looking for it, but I just do not see "it".

I disagree I think she definately has the IT factor .She has presence and commanded the ice They need to be more polished with no mistakes.

I hope they beat B/S at nationals.They have really big problems with twizzles and always seem to be pushing for speed .IMO.

To answer the question yes if V/M D/W aren't there.

vCash
    Maybe Ilynikh with another partner. "Kats" isn't particularly strong, IMO.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Because the games are in Russia the crowd will cheer all the Russians very loud and hopefully loud cheering wont be such a problem for Katsalapov's ability to concentrate and compete. When he said loud cheering is why he botched the opening the the FD in Moscow it was a warning sign about his level of concentration when competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Because the games are in Russia the crowd will cheer all the Russians very loud and hopefully loud cheering wont be such a problem for Katsalapov's ability to concentrate and compete. When he said loud cheering is why he botched the opening the the FD in Moscow it was a warning sign about his level of concentration when competing.
    Actually, that's one thing about the move to Morosov that's positive. Throughout the season we saw those little errors that seemed to be from lack of concentration/confidence. Morosov is terrific at instilling confidence (Takahashi said that's how he benefited from him, and I think Amodio's a pretty great example too, though arguably Amodio had confidence in spades already). That and generally, his skaters turn up well trained to their events. If they have those, I wouldn't be surprised to see them threaten for the podium despite the relative brevity of their partnership (In Vancouver, you'd have to go to Cappellini-Lannotte in 12th to find a partnership as short as I/K's would be in Sochi).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Morozov will fix his problem of concentration I am sure. His skaters are prepared very well.

vCash
    Why not, they are really good !
    But honestly, I prefer Virtue and Moir and I hope those two will continue and win in Socchi !

vCash
    I think they'll be getting a huge push by their federation heading towards Sochi, and with their talent level I can easily see them atop the podium in 2014.

A lot depends on how well they develop under Morozov, but assuming the federation sends :secret: to monitor their progress, I don't think it will be a problem.

vCash
    If V&M and/or D&W are still around in 2014, I find it difficult for I&K to win the OGM.

vCash
    Virtue & Moir and Davis & White are probably going to go down as 2 of the best teams of all time, even if I am not crazy about Davis & White artistically speaking. It is hard to see either of those teams headed by any of the up and comers until after 2014 atleast (if there is even a chance either continue past 2014 which seems unlikely).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Virtue & Moir and Davis & White are probably going to go down as 2 of the best teams of all time, even if I am not crazy about Davis & White artistically speaking. It is hard to see either of those teams headed by any of the up and comers until after 2014 atleast (if there is even a chance either continue past 2014 which seems unlikely).

vCash
    I think Gold is unlikely, but if they work like dogs and are a little lucky, they could medal.
    I am not worried about Katsalapov yet- I think he has great skills and great musicality, and that he got "spooked" at Moscow's Worlds due to lack of international experience and a relatively young age ( he said he could not hear the music... surely next time he'll better prepared to ignore the distractions). Not everybody is born unflappable, it could be learned to a degree. After all, our current World Champion got carried away on his twizzles a few times throughout the years- and yet he is a great skater overall. Hopefully Moscow experience will make I/K stronger, that's all.
    Last edited by dinakt; 08-17-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I can easily see them atop the podium in 2014.

vCash
    I'm willing to bet my house on that Davis & White will not go down as of the best Ice Dance couples.

vCash
    I/K will have to improve tremendously technically in order to compete with Davis/White, and Virtue/Moir. Easier said than done. But if they can improve technically, I think artistically they can be a factor. They have a very different style from the other two teams, and I think the judges might go for it. This year is going to really tell the tale in terms of where they are at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I'm willing to bet my house on that Davis & White will not go down as of the best Ice Dance couples.
    Totally agree. I just never cared for them, and they're not one of the best ice dance couples ever.

To the thread question, absolutely they can win the Olympic gold.
    Last edited by a56; 08-18-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast