Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    This is apparently also seen in "Legend of Bagger Vance" and "Driving Miss Daisy"...Spike Lee gave the trope a name:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro
    That's why I could not sit through the former film. Not only am I not a fan of Smith's, but the whole "magical Negro" theme of the movie bothered me. Spike was on point with this assessment.

vCash
    Okay, I went to see this today. Alone. I found myself enjoying the film in spite of myself. There was a Lifetimesque/Hallmarky false feel-goodness to certain parts of the movie, and many of the true horrors of those who suffered for their courage was really downplayed. I've heard stories like these through my grandmas, aunts and other relatives, and to see their similar humiliations onscreen was not comfortable at all - I wanted to string Hilly up in a tree, seriously, as well as some of the others who clearly disapproved of what was going on.

Flaws aside, the cast was very good, even excellent at times, especially Viola Davis. And Bryce Dallas Howard's southern accent was much better than it was in the awful Loss of a Teardrop Diamond.

But it's not something I need to see again.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I've haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I have spoken to many friends (black and white) who despise both and feel it's yet another lazy addition to the "White Savior" narrative that mainstream/Hollywood culture loves so much.

That's the exact impression that I got from watching the previews and, given that several people have confirmed that impression, I seriously doubt I'll ever watch/read the material.
    That was the impression I got from reading about the book when it first came out but when I saw a preview of the movie, I thought maybe it won't be so bad. The preview didn't seem quite so "White Savior"-ish and was kind of compelling.

Though I still haven't gone to see it. I suspect this is a Netflix Streaming Video kind of movie for me.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    That was the impression I got from reading about the book when it first came out but when I saw a preview of the movie, I thought maybe it won't be so bad. The preview didn't seem quite so "White Savior"-ish and was kind of compelling.

Though I still haven't gone to see it. I suspect this is a Netflix Streaming Video kind of movie for me.
    I'd save my money and wait too.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Living in the south, I still work with people who use the word "ni**er" to describe black people. I can't stand it. They think it's ok because they don't mean "all black people." I work in a redneck dominated industry, though(unfortunately).

When we moved to North Carolina in 89(although I was born in South Carolina and have only not lived in the south a total of about 4 years), there were still occasional cross burnings by the KKK. Although it's funny, because my friend who lives in MA, said the racism is almost worse up there because so many people don't come into contact with black people on a daily basis. They can pretend they're not racist, because they aren't faced with their own judgments on a daily basis.
    I was born and raised in the rural South and am currently stranded there. The n-word is still used all the time in my town. I would not be suprised to learn that even some of my own family were KKK. I know we have overall come a long way since the 60's, but it saddens me to think about how much further we need to go. There are still people around here who have the exact same attitudes/opinions that the racists in this movie had. I honestly wonder if that sort of thing will ever entirely go away here. In some ways, it seems to be getting worse. Now, they had in prejuidice against those of Hispanic and Asian origin, gay/lesbian/transgendered, people who aren't from the South, people who are from the South but don't live there any more, and the well-educated... (Maybe this extent is only my immediate area though.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    I was born and raised in the rural South and am currently stranded there. The n-word is still used all the time in my town. I would not be suprised to learn that even some of my own family were KKK. I know we have overall come a long way since the 60's, but it saddens me to think about how much further we need to go. There are still people around here who have the exact same attitudes/opinions that the racists in this movie had. I honestly wonder if that sort of thing will ever entirely go away here. In some ways, it seems to be getting worse. Now, they had in prejuidice against those of Hispanic and Asian origin, gay/lesbian/transgendered, people who aren't from the South, people who are from the South but don't live there any more, and the well-educated... (Maybe this extent is only my immediate area though.)
    Why do you suppose it is getting worse? My first thought was that some key conservative religious leaders almost glorify a particular way of life – and anything that is outside of the idyllic rural (and suburban) landscape must be eschewed. I think some would blame the economy but I am not sure the rural south is particularly hard hit by the bad economy. Nor do I think it is the change is scary meme, as the world has been changing for decades.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    ITA with Orable’s previous post wrt "white saviors" BUT will also add why I think this is necessary. For the exact reason that racism is still here and it is narratives, not lectures – narratives - above all else – that prompt us to change our behaviors. So to the point that this is a story for white people – to change their behavior – this is not a bad thing but a necessary thing.
    Figure skating is hard.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Why do you suppose it is getting worse? My first thought was that some key conservative religious leaders almost glorify a particular way of life – and anything that is outside of the idyllic rural (and suburban) landscape must be eschewed. I think some would blame the economy but I am not sure the rural south is particularly hard hit by the bad economy. Nor do I think it is the change is scary meme, as the world has been changing for decades.
    I think a good chunk of it around here comes from, as you put it, the key conservative religious leaders and their glorifying a particular way of life. Mixed in with this, IMO, is a tendency by these same conservatives to push the "us vs them" mentality and that they have to defend their values, this, that, and the other against what ever evil of the day they're on. It's like anyone who's different (race, religion, sexual orientation) has been made into an enemy to fight against instead of just another person who comes from a different kind of background. Also, we're not so far removed from the Civil Rights era of the 1960's that people who had racist opinions aren't still around. This current "defend against the evil" stuff fits right in with that.

Another part of it around here is that we now have Hispanic and Asian populations whereas we really didn't when I was growing up.

I'm sure, too, the fact that I lived away from this area for a decade may be influencing my perception. Now, I'm just seeing things I didn't really pay attention to before.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456