Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Help

vCash

The Help

Go see this movie. It is a beautiful portrait and tribute. Saw it last night, and I was moved.

vCash
    I went to see Stupid, Crazy Love (loved it) and saw the previews, hopefully I make it to another movie,esp. since the lead is Amy Stone and I loved her in the other movie.

vCash
    I saw The Help last nite too, and loved it. Really kept to the book. The acting was great, and the cast looked as I pictured from the book. Friend had not read the book and loved it too. Applause at the end of the movie.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I read the book a month ago. Saw the movie a few days ago. The movie does a decent job sticking to the book but I don't know what I am missing here because I found neither the book nor the movie as outstanding as the reviews they are getting. The person I went with expected to be more wowed by the movie than they were ( they hadn't read the book). I think maybe for me neither the movie nor the book really committed to their theme, in some ways I felt it a bit glossed over.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    My husband and I both enjoyed the book, and we both loved the movie when we saw it this afternoon. The cast and the setting were just as we had pictured. Applause at the end at our theater, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Go see this movie. It is a beautiful portrait and tribute. Saw it last night, and I was moved.
    The trailer here made it seem kind of 'Disney' and I was reluctant to go.

I'm glad you liked it. I read the book and was completely engrossed [couldn't put it down!]
    I could totally feel while reading the book how scary it was to step out of line if you were Black in 1960s Mississippi.

Does the movie capture that?

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I would say no, but then I didn't feel the book captured that either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I would say no, but then I didn't feel the book captured that either
    I haven't seen the movie but I'm surprised you think the book didn't capture the "fear of stepping out of line". The beating of the young man who used a "white" restroom didn't do it for you? The maids' reluctance to tell their stories?

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I've seen other movies and read other books about these issues that made a huge impact on me. Cried, cringed and been in awe of the courage people showed in the civil rights times. Many have tackled that and did an incredible job making me feel the reality of those times. For me the book and movie did not come close to doing what so many had done before them.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I've seen other movies and read other books about these issues that made a huge impact on me. Cried, cringed and been in awe of the courage people showed in the civil rights times. Many have tackled that and did an incredible job making me feel the reality of those times.
    I can understand those feelings but not everything in those times was so dramatic and cringe worthy. Many people went about their lives quietly and yet were still courageous.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I can understand those feelings but not everything in those times was so dramatic and cringe worthy. Many people went about their lives quietly and yet were still courageous.
    Of course. But I was responding specifically to taf2002 saying it was surprised that the beating of a man for using a white toilet didn't do it for me (which, by the way, I felt was casually thrown in to back up why the maids were afraid to come forward.) All I will say is that after reading THIS book I found myself thinking it'd be really interesting to read a book written by the black maids.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread I've read reviews of both in many places,, roughly 8 out of 10 love it. The lonely 2 out of 10 are with me scratching my head wondering how this rated up there with To Kill a Mockingbird, a comparison I found insulting to Harper Lee

vCash
    I recently read that the author is being sued by her family's former housekeeper. It seems the housekeeper is angry that the author drew upon her life story without her permission.

vCash
    Reading the book right now and can't put it down....looking forward to the movie. Great to hear your review
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I recently read that the author is being sued by her family's former housekeeper. It seems the housekeeper is angry that the author drew upon her life story without her permission.
    I read this as well...of course, Stockett has denied all of the accusations. I'm supposed to go see it Wednesday. I have mixed feelings about it, but will try to reserve my judgment until I've seen it. There was an interesting column in Essence magazine where two writers with opposing POVs discussed seeing it/not seeing it. My curiosity outweighs any reservations I have about the movie.

I admire Viola Davis, and would watch anything she was in. I think she's beautiful and talented.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Every time I see the preview I think this movie looks absolutely dreadful.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Every time I see the preview I think this movie looks absolutely dreadful.
    Why dreadful?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Just looks like a really bad movie to me. Not sure why. It is not something I would want to see and that white chicks hair is truly
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I had seen the trailer about 2 months ago. I am planning to see this movie.

vCash
    The trailers are terrible -- very misleading. I liked both the book and the movie a lot, and thought the movie really captured the spirit of the book.

(I realized some time after seeing it, though, that they left out the incident where Skeeter accidentally leaves her bag where the other Junior Leaguers can find it. Had they kept that in, it might have helped to show just how high the stakes were.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I read the book about a year ago and really don't have a desire to see the movie, although, like Rex, I am a big fan of Viola Davis. For me, movies have a tendency not to live up to the original story and it's such a disappoint if I've already read it.

When I was reading, I had to put the story in perspective and remember the time and place in history to understand just how important it was these housekeepers and this young girl told this particular story. The risks were enormous and knowing that and still doing it anyway, knowing there might not be any reward, only punishment if caught is something that most of us can't perceive. This was 50 years before tabloid/reality tv where you could sell your story to the highest bidder and live pretty good life off the celebrity/profits of it.

I was engrossed in the book because of the plot. It wasn't particularly well written. It was far from award winning.... It the plot was what kept me engaged. That's why I am not too interested in seeing the movie...because I know how it ends. I appreciate the author's point of view to racism--it's one I never thought of before reading the book. I learned something.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast