View Poll Results: Will Russia bounce back to win at least 1 Gold Medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympics?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

125 82.24%
  • No

7 4.61%
  • Don't Know/Too early to tell?

20 13.16%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Hope V-T will win competition in pair skating.
    Cant see how some os russin teams could compete against D-W and Shibs. But i think they have very good chance to take bronz medal. (after two teams from USA).
    But we have long way to go. Maybe Sotnikova or Tuktamisheva will show there best at home OG?
    With Shibus, you have to remember a year before they won bronze at world they were out of medal at world juniors. Things change very quickly in ice dance, it is also possible non of the name you mentioned would medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I found these quads by Artur Gachinski in practice (flip, loop, lutz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Lle_MKUW9ac

If he is able to land two of these in an LP in competition, it will be historic. Of course he will need to work on other aspects of this skating too, but I find it exciting when new jumps are added to the sport.
    Gachinski has a grungy, youthful, Russian flair, but still he's very stiff and unpolished (rough around the edges). Perhaps his youth and Russian jump technique will aid his body in holding up under the grueling quad training practice. Gachinsky's music in the lp at Worlds really helped his performance. As far as "new" jumps being added to the sport, IMO, the only "new" or "historic" aspect is the extra revolution added to jumps that were invented circa late nineteenth, early twentieth-century. The lauded, taxing and difficult extra revolutions don't ring my bell, but c'est la vie in figure skating.

What would excite me tremendously is seeing Jason Brown master his triple axel, and eventually add the over-rated but necessary quad to his repertoire. Ding-a-ling -- a-ling!!! Same goes for seeing Dornbush continue to improve in all aspects. Not to mention seeing Adam and Jeremy triumph. Quads to me are not exciting (especially when landed like a ton of bricks) ... it's the whole of a program that matters, regardless of the judges' scoring.

vCash
    Sorry, I have to disagree. If a Quad is "just an extra revolution", same should be said of the triples (extra revolution added to a double) and of a double (extra revolution to a single jump). I find it exciting when athletes push themselves to test their limits. If a quad was that easy, a lot more skaters would be doing it. After the retirements of Yagudin and Plushenko no skater took the challenge of landing the quad seriously. If you find it exciting to watch a skater that cannot even land a 3 axel- something that was not only routine but a almost a requirement (not by rules) to be on the podium, you must be watching a different sport (or a non-sport) from me.

vCash
    The same is true of double and trip jumps, Vash01. They are just extra revolutions added to jumps that were invented and performed first as single jumps about a century ago.

You miss my point re Jason Brown. His overall skating skills are so outstanding that it will indeed be exciting to me to see him master and land a well-executed triple axel -- definitely a routine requirement for the sport. Obviously, he must master the 3axel, and indeed add a quad to his repertoire in order to become a strong contender on the National and World scene. Absolutely I agree the quad is extremely challenging and complicated to master, but to me pointless if not performed well within the whole of a well put together program.

If you don't find Brown's 2011 U.S. Nats lp exciting to watch ... oh well. To each his own excitement.

You might be interested in this GSD discussion:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=79854&page=19

And in this article about quad and triple jumps in figure skating:

http://iceskatingresources.org/Triple&QuadJumps.html

vCash
    Sorry, I don't go to GSD anymore. Their opinions are extremely biased in favor of NA skaters. I prefer the international crowd here. I get to hear different view points from different cultures.

If you don't like more revolutions to jumps, you should just watch ice dance. Why even bother calling this a sport? There were many skaters that had other skills but they could not land the jumps consistently, that's why they never made it at the world level. IMO that's the way it should be for a SPORT.

vCash
    Figure skating is both Art and Sport, and it will always be, just as there will always be debate and differences of opinion regarding all aspects of its challenging and engaging past and present moments. I watch all the events of figure skating competitions, and I love reading about this art/sport, sharing my opinions and gaining new perspectives.

There are different reasons why the quad remains a challenging jump for many. TBTB in figure skating are only beginning to realize how important it is to understand more about the physics, exercises, technology aids and training strategies necessary to mastering quads consistently without destroying skaters' bodies and careers.

A delayed single axel jump, a gorgeous spread eagle, or even the simplest of moves in skating can be just as, or even more breathtaking than the most beautifully landed quad jump, if performed well in a wonderfully choreographed program. Why? One reason is perhaps because the eye often can barely distinguish the fourth revolution of a quad jump -- it necessarily happens so fast. No jump is thrilling to me unless it is well-executed within the whole of a well-conceived program. I don't like watching poorly performed jumps or programs, and it has been frustrating to witness over the years such misunderstanding about how to develop quads safely. The lack of understanding has adversely impacted figure skating. This art/sport is much more complicated than the simple beauty of watching a well-executed move would attest.

vCash
    I confused GSD with Goldenskate forums too! LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Figure skating is both Art and Sport, and it will always be, just as there will always be debate and differences of opinion regarding all aspects of its challenging and engaging past and present moments. I watch all the events of figure skating competitions, and I love reading about this art/sport, sharing my opinions and gaining new perspectives.

There are different reasons why the quad remains a challenging jump for many. TBTB in figure skating are only beginning to realize how important it is to understand more about the physics, exercises, technology aids and training strategies necessary to mastering quads consistently without destroying skaters' bodies and careers.

A delayed single axel jump, a gorgeous spread eagle, or even the simplest of moves in skating can be just as, or even more breathtaking than the most beautifully landed quad jump, if performed well in a wonderfully choreographed program. Why? One reason is perhaps because the eye often can barely distinguish the fourth revolution of a quad jump -- it necessarily happens so fast. No jump is thrilling to me unless it is well-executed within the whole of a well-conceived program. I don't like watching poorly performed jumps or programs, and it has been frustrating to witness over the years such misunderstanding about how to develop quads safely. The lack of understanding has adversely impacted figure skating. This art/sport is much more complicated than the simple beauty of watching a well-executed move would attest.

I find your post very condescending. I have never said that other moves are not important or are not beautiful. I won't write a thesis on this, but I could give a long list of moves I like. I have posted thousands of times about FS and I am not going to repeat myself. The reason I like FS is that it is an art and a sport. However, you are trying to take the sport aspect out of it, and being condescending by talking as if I know nothing about FS. Your whole post is meant to put me or whoever thinks differntly from you down. I have been watching FS since the late 1980's and taking FS lessons since the early 90's. Instead of saying it's just a different opinion, you want to act superior and assume that I am an idiot. I am very angry about this.

vCash
    My posts are not intended to condescend. Sorry you are taking them in that light. Nowhere did I say I don't like "more revolutions to jumps," and I didn't take issue with you for making that assumption. Nowhere did I say that you said "other moves are not important or are not beautiful."

Unfortunately, since we are not having a face-to-face discussion, my written words and way of phrasing my opinions seem to be making you think I'm putting you down. Your feelings, thoughts and perceptions are yours and are valid, just as mine are. I've enjoyed reading many of your posts, and often agree, and sometimes disagree. It is your choice how you decide to respond to my strong opinions regarding the quad in figure skating. My opinions have nothing to do with you personally. I'm sorry you are choosing anger, perhaps because you misinterpret my intentions and tone.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456