View Poll Results: Will Russia bounce back to win at least 1 Gold Medal at the Sochi 2014 Olympics?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

125 82.24%
  • No

7 4.61%
  • Don't Know/Too early to tell?

20 13.16%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I agree he rose to the occasion. He went out there and completed all the jumps and spins. But he was surely assisted by the judges. Those PCS were out of control. 8+ for interpretation, while someone like Dornbush is only mid 7s? One judge even gave him 8.75 for IN, but Kozuka only 8.25. Please.
    Who, other than Oda or Gachinski, would have been awarded the bronze medal with better judging? No one, as far as I can tell.

Kozuka beat Gachinski fair and square, and Dornbush (who didn't do any quadruple jumps) couldn't have beaten him without outscoring Chan on PCS.

Březina (the fourth-place finisher) ran out of steam in the last portion of his LP and fell twice. Takahashi (fifth) was very generously marked given that he fell in the LP. Amodio (seventh) didn't do any quads and didn't have particularly distinguished programs. Joubert (eighth) had a sloppy SP and missed his combo.

vCash
    No, I'm not arguing over his bronze medal. I'm just saying his PCS could have been reduced to a where it should have been. He still would've had the bronze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    No, I'm not arguing over his bronze medal. I'm just saying his PCS could have been reduced to a where it should have been. He still would've had the bronze.
    Now you're talking!

vCash
    Very real possibility for gold in ladies and pairs, IMO. Oh...let's not forget the new "team" competition either. Russia will likely win that, as they'll have medals contenders in all 4 disciplines.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Medals, yes. Gold medals, probably not.

Shame, too. Russia (including the Soviet years) was as dominant in pairs and dance, as the USA was in singles for awhile.

vCash
    Hard to tell, but Volosozhar and Trankov are so impressive I can think about them as the next Olympic champions (and I love Savchenko&Szolkowy !!!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Very real possibility for gold in ladies and pairs, IMO. Oh...let's not forget the new "team" competition either. Russia will likely win that, as they'll have medals contenders in all 4 disciplines.
    I agree. They will at least win the team event. And I think they have a very good chance at winning pairs. V/T are already almost as good as S/S. It's too early to tell what will happen with the ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Medals, yes. Gold medals, probably not.

Shame, too. Russia (including the Soviet years) was as dominant in pairs and dance, as the USA was in singles for awhile.
    I'm not really sure where your getting a probably not. The Russians have an extremely good chance at getting Pairs Gold in Sochi. The only team that compares with V/T is older than them, and not necessarily the best at handling the gold medal pressure. Perhaps the Chinese could contend but P/T are getting older and their are tons of puberty questions surrounding Sui/Han. And the Russians have a ton of young pairs teams.

They also have an extremely good shot at ladies gold with their crop of talented young juniors.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    their are tons of puberty questions surrounding Sui/Han. And the Russians have a ton of young pairs teams.

They also have an extremely good shot at ladies gold with their crop of talented young juniors.
    Puberty questions are reserved solely for Sui/Han and can never be applied to the crop of Russian talented young juniors?

vCash
    Hopefully, the ladies gold goes to Russia for the first time ever in history. They have a great shot at the pairs gold, and who knows about ice dance. I have hopes that Ilinykh and Katsalapov will somehow win the gold. You never know with the Olympics being two and a half years away and the judges choosing to dump or elevate dance teams with little prior warning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    Puberty questions are reserved solely for Sui/Han and can never be applied to the crop of Russian talented young juniors?
    Actually it was a typo to say Juniors because except for one Russia's pairs talent is in the Senior ranks. But most of Russia's young pairs teams are past puberty.

vCash
    What's happened to the Russian men? It's hard to see even a medal contender among them. If Artur Gachinski is their best (and I do like him), they are in trouble. Hopefully a few more will emerge in a year or two, but this is where I don't expect Russia to win a medal. BTW I don't expect Plushenko to be physically strong enough to compete by Sochi. I hope I am wrong.

vCash
    A 31 year old Plushenko would have very little chance of a medal, and Gachinski I agree isnt a good bet. Yet it is looking like those are their 2 best options which doesnt speak well to their chances.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It's hard to see even a medal contender among them.
    Because there aren't since 2006. Lutai and Voronov gave a chance for hope, but...

I guess there will be some in the coming years, since we've got some juniors who are quite talented, but they are definitely not for Sochi. Voronov will be back this season, Menshov, Gachinski - that is all we have right now, hope or no hope.

vCash
    I miss the golden era (pun is intended) of Petrenko (former USSR), Urmanov, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko. That's 5 in a row!

Blergh
    vCash
    Other than Kulik and Yagudin, I wouldn't rematch any of the above men's Olympic performances. However, I would rematch some of their other ones (like Worlds).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I think Plushenko is strong enough mentally, and appears to be doing the work technically, to make it to Sochi.

Whether his body lasts is another matter. I hope it does. I would sorely like to see him skate at Sochi. I think he would be on another level. The power of the mind is amazing.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I think Plushenko would be on another level in Sochi if he makes it as well; unfortunately, not the elevated, celestial level that you seem to be thinking he'll master. He will be quite "figure skater old", he will have undergone multiple surgeries for injuries, and he will be up against a younger and possibly stronger generation. I could see Plushenko being the "still trying to hold on to glory Stojko" in his final Olympics, and that just wasn't a pretty sight.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I think Plushenko is strong enough mentally, and appears to be doing the work technically, to make it to Sochi.

Whether his body lasts is another matter. I hope it does. I would sorely like to see him skate at Sochi. I think he would be on another level. The power of the mind is amazing.
    The power of the mind is amazing, but I am afraid his body is not going to hold up till 2014. He is already having problems with his knees, back, and is having surgeries. He has been skating at the senior worlds level since age 15 (and winning medals!). He has already surpassed most figure skaters in longevity. I would love to see him back, but only if he is in good shape, and if it does not permanently damage his body because he could do show skating for many more years.

vCash
    I found these quads by Artur Gachinski in practice (flip, loop, lutz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Lle_MKUW9ac

If he is able to land two of these in an LP in competition, it will be historic. Of course he will need to work on other aspects of this skating too, but I find it exciting when new jumps are added to the sport.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast