Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Since 2001, the only one I think didn't have a shuttle was Portland because they have the free light rail. Not sure about Cleveland because my hotel was connected to the arena.
    Cleveland had a shuttle, but most hotels were very close to the arena. I didn't buy a shuttle pass b/c I was at the Radisson across the street, and all of the events and most practices were at the main arena - I think there were only a couple practices I would have attended at the practice rink, so I didn't bother. And I remember that the ride to the practice rink was extra long b/c of construction or something like that, so that was another reason to avoid it.

If they're not having a shuttle for spectators in Omaha, I guess that the practice rink won't be open to the public. That is disappointing considering all-event ticket holders are supposed to be able to watch any and all practices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Maybe it is because I have lived here all my life, but I don't think of Omaha as particularly hilly. Sure there are some hills and the interstate can be a bit tricky during snow - most cities in northern part of the US can have those issues.
    Same here! I've lived in Omaha as long as I can remember, and I don't think of it as that hilly. The only really hilly part I can think of is the West Dodge Expressway, and that's really not that bad anyways. And you don't use that to get downtown really anyways....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    numbers, what's the public transportation like in Omaha? If they're not going to offer a shuttle, which absolutely boggles my mind because every single one of the eleven Nationals I've attended has had a shuttle system, then the city should have a good public bus system that runs early and late. I totally agree with Ann that hotel shuttles are nice, but they don't usually run on a reliable schedule like a Nationals-only transportation system.
    The bus system is the MAT, Metro Area Transit, and it's not awful, but not something I would use regularly. It's about what you can expect for a city with a metro area of about 800,000 roughly, and half a million in city limits. So I would use it if your hotel is less than three miles away or so, and if not, I wouldn't rely on it. Lots of delays, lacking cleanliness, etc.

vCash
    I apologize to everyone for flooding like a whole page with replies, SORRY!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaqtpi View Post
    I apologize to everyone for flooding like a whole page with replies, SORRY!
    You can always learn how to use the multi-quote feature (it's the button to the right of the Quote button). It's to see a teenage skater like you so excited for Nationals in your hometown.

vCash
    Omaha person! Are you a skater? Chances are, I know you....
    I do skate, but I haven't in quite awhile.

The public transportation around downtown is fine. When I had jury duty, I rode the bus rather than pay ridiculous parking fees, and they ran frequently and on time. And that was in January. We do occasionally have a snowpacalypse in Omaha , but again, the city is very good with clearing the main roads.

There is even a bus that circulates downtown only! OMG!!!!!

Is there this much whining about the host city every year?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Pretty much. Even when Nationals get held in a city that has a reputation for doing a good job, people complain because the location isn't convenient for them.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Yeah, it's a great opportunity for the city, we're all so excited, my mom told me as soon as she found out that we got it, and then my coach told my whole group class that night, and the press release was the next morning, so when my coach told us, all 10 of us were jumping up and down (on the ice!) and shrieking. Granted, they're mostly 7-11 yrs old, but it's so exciting!
    Your excitement is making me want to go!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yes.

If the Nationals are not in their back yard whining will occur LOL!

This year it's mainly limited to "California got both SA and Nationals" but.... it comes and goes.

Some posters are ONLY happy when they can stay home and go to Nationals. Don't let it get to you

Personally I am fine whereever as long as it's not Lake Placid. I am sure it's lovely, but when I can get to Paris France quicker IMHO that's an issue LOL!

(I am already whining over 2014, but that's due to the insanely stupid scheduling, not the location..)
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 11-23-2011 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    ...according to this story

http://www.omaha.com/article/2011081...708109742/1001

Sounds like a really, really long week.
    2013 US Nationals in Omaha to include Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, too

vCash
    Are you from Nebraska too? You said "we"....
    I live about 25 minutes north of Omaha, julianaqtpi. I lived in Omaha for six years. And I've lived in the state since I was 21 mths old.

vCash
    There won't be as many Juvenile/Intermediate skaters competing in Omaha as in current and past Junior Nationals (40+ in ladies & men with qualifying rounds) -- it will be 12 total in each discipline (top 4 will qualify from each Sectional, like for the Novice-Senior singles skaters/teams now).

vCash
    Wow, no posts here in awhile! My mom said that they've hired some guy to work on organizing the event full time, but this guy is a jerk who doesn't know much, if anything, about figure skating. Pathetic, huh?

This doesn't belong in this category, but... Since there are a few of you who live near Omaha, I thought I'd just give ya a heads up- We have three shows between now and Sunday, if you want to come see any of them! Tomorrow (Thursday) at 6pm at Motto McLean ice arena, Saturday at 3pm at the ConAgra rink, and Sunday at 3pm at the ConAgra rink, same show Saturday and Sunday. Free admission to all of them!

vCash

Warren Buffett

A fellow skating friend posed a question that I find fascinating. She's wondering if Warren Buffett either directly or indirectly had some role/influence in terms of Omaha, NEB landing 2013 Nationals? Something to ponder but a very interesting hypothesis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    A fellow skating friend posed a question that I find fascinating. She's wondering if Warren Buffett either directly or indirectly had some role/influence in terms of Omaha, NEB landing 2013 Nationals? Something to ponder but a very interesting hypothesis.
    Is Warren Buffett a figure skating fan? If so, maybe he'd be willing to pay an over-the-air TV network to broadcast Worlds?

Seriously, I doubt the USFSA cares about Warren Buffett or vice versa. Omaha got Nats b/c 1) they bid, and 2) they are a mid-size market with a fairly new/modern arena and the requisite number of hotel rooms within a certain radius of the arena.

vCash
    Anyone from Omaha heard if they will be selling tickets in San Jose?

Not sure about this one, but if they let me pick my seat and avoid the fees...they just might get some $$$.

vCash
    I am looking forward to Omaha-- my second mom lives there, and I can't wait to take a ride in the death banana. Plus-- there is this store chock full of whorewear that I must visit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Nope, he had no role in it. I doubt he even knew about it until the press release about it to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Is Warren Buffett a figure skating fan? If so, maybe he'd be willing to pay an over-the-air TV network to broadcast Worlds?

Seriously, I doubt the USFSA cares about Warren Buffett or vice versa. Omaha got Nats b/c 1) they bid, and 2) they are a mid-size market with a fairly new/modern arena and the requisite number of hotel rooms within a certain radius of the arena.
    And we've had the Olympic Swim Trials once already, and are having them again this summer (), so they know we can get a good turnout of volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Anyone from Omaha heard if they will be selling tickets in San Jose?

Not sure about this one, but if they let me pick my seat and avoid the fees...they just might get some $$$.
    I have no clue, but I haven't heard anything about on-site ticket sales. I would think they'd have some available, but who knows. My mom is going, leaving here on Tuesday morning, the 24th, and staying for the rest of the competition.

vCash

vCash
    Not sure that having Jr. Nationals and Nationals at the same time is going to be a good thing. USFS is already having trouble finding venues. Making the event larger will only make finding a venue harder. Plus, they will likely make less money than they do now. Jr. nationals doesn't bring in a lot of money. They will need more judges for a longer period of time - that means more $$ for accommodations and food. At least by splitting it up, two places share the expense.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast