Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    I haven't been able to beat the official rates once the hotels know about the event; perhaps I've just been unlucky in the days I've checked for openings. I'm typically looking for a reasonably priced hotel within 1/2 mile of the arena, which somewhat limits my options. It helps if you're willing to risk being farther away and driving back and forth, but I don't want to do that.

Having scored the last available room in the city for Providence Nationals, at a bed-and-breakfast that was a long, lonely, cold walk from the arena, I'm nervous until I have a reservation at a hotel near the arena.
    A couple of suggestions. Always try the AAA rate if you have the card. They generally leave that rate loaded year round so... bingo! savings. Or call and ask. Did that a few years ago, which I normally don't do and got some weekend rate for $100 and had to pay the "event rate" for the weekdays. (This was one of the hotels in Cleveland that was connected to the arena via that mall, don't recall the name) Don't be afraid to have several reservations. Even in Greensboro I had 2 reservations for the same room/hotel. One night was a free night and the rest were paid.

And then there is my "last chance" For several Nationals I have done Hotwire just before the event. If you study up you can figure out the hotel and I have gotten either the offical hotel or "nice" hotels near the offical hotel for a fraction of the rate. But to do this you have to be brave and cannot be booked with a "cancel 10 days in advance rate" (Hotwire does work better for big cities. Got a great hotel in LA for both nationals and Worlds for example)

Sometimes my "holding" rate is higher then the offical rate. I am willing to do that because I have almost always found a deal close to the event and I would rather have the easy cancellation rules when that happens. I didn't do that last week for a convention in Houston and got screwed. Could have gotten a hotel half a block away from my Hilton for $100 but paid $190 for the Hilton! It had a 15 day cancel policy for the convention, but the time I found the 'deal' I was past the cancel date!

vCash
    [QUOTE=Carolla5501;3378525I realize that the NE would be better for you, but sadly you are one person and what's good for you may not be good for someone else. Somewhere in this thread there's a poster from Omaha. This is a great event for her.[/QUOTE]

I'm ticked about San Jose as well, especially since SA and Nationals are in California within the same three month period, followed by Four Continents in Colorado. It will have been 13 years since Nationals was awarded to the Northeast. I think those of us in the Northeast have some valid reasons to be somewhat unhappy. That being said, I've gone to all Nationals with the exception of 2002 and 2007 since then and most of the Skate Americas.

vCash
    Omaha will NOT have a shuttle for fans. This information was provided by an employee of Destination Phoenix, which is apparently the event-management firm handling Omaha Nationals (or at least the hotel reservation part of the event). As indicated on the hotel-reservation web page, all the hotels have complimentary shuttles.

I'm disappointed about this. Hotel shuttles don't have a lot of capacity, and there will probably be issues when everyone wants to go to the arena at the same time, especially if the city gets hit with snow and/or ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    It will have been 13 years since Nationals was awarded to the Northeast. I think those of us in the Northeast have some valid reasons to be somewhat unhappy.
    Have there been clubs in the NE bidding for the event?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Have there been clubs in the NE bidding for the event?
    Yes, SC of Boston made a bid for 2010 Nationals to be held in Providence, Rhode Island but lost out to Spokane, WA.

ETA: I didn't see a link posted in this thread to the 11/21 USFS press release about all-event tickets going on sale: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47464&type=media
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-22-2011 at 09:42 PM.

vCash
    Omaha will NOT have a shuttle for fans. This information was provided by an employee of Destination Phoenix, which is apparently the event-management firm handling Omaha Nationals (or at least the hotel reservation part of the event). As indicated on the hotel-reservation web page, all the hotels have complimentary shuttles.

I'm disappointed about this. Hotel shuttles don't have a lot of capacity, and there will probably be issues when everyone wants to go to the arena at the same time, especially if the city gets hit with snow and/or ice.
    There are a large number of hotels within walking distance to the arena. These hotels also have shuttles. I would wait and see what happens regarding shuttles/walking etc.

I'm sorry that the US Nationals isn't coming up to your standards. I suspect that if you go to this website Omaha Sports Commission and post a question or comment, they will get back to you or at least acknowledge your concerns.

Omaha has hosted the College Worlds Series since 1950 - the move of the stadium across the street from the Century Link arena where the skating competitions will be held has been the spark for building many hotels in the area surrounding the Century Link arena. Even if you choose to stay in a hotel nearer the airport (approximately a 10 minute drive from the arena, if there is lots of traffic) they have shuttles that I am sure would take you back and forth to the arena.

Omaha has hosted the Olympic Swimming Trials both in 2008 and again in 2012. For both of those events a FULL SIZE OLYMPIC pool and practice pools have been built within the arena.

Omaha has hosted the NCAA women's volleyball tournament. During winter weather.

The hotels are accustom to large number of sports visitors. Maybe it is because I have lived here all my life, but I don't think of Omaha as particularly hilly. Sure there are some hills and the interstate can be a bit tricky during snow - most cities in northern part of the US can have those issues.

If you are booking a hotel and not sure the distance to the arena, PM me when you have that information and I can give an idea of where it is located to the arena, the potential driving distances, or walking distances and the lighting around the area that you would be walking etc.

vCash
    I have nothing against Omaha, and I agree that there are a lot of hotels within what I normally consider walking distance. And the Old Market area sounds enticing. But it is Omaha in January, and getting back and forth between the hotel and the arena is a concern. I've experienced Nationals in Kansas City, St. Paul, and Minneapolis. I'll consider myself extremely lucky if all we face in Omaha is bitter cold, not ice and packed snow on the sidewalks.

I do plan to walk between hotel and arena, but I'd like the option of using a shuttle if the weather turns hazardous. I don't want to have to fight with dozens of other people to get on a little hotel shuttle, nor will I count on their keeping those shuttles circulating constantly between hotel and arena from early morning till late at night. Won't shuttles have to be diverted for airport runs? Free airport transportation is very nice; I'm sure we'll all want to take advantage of it. Bottom line: For me, the hotel shuttles are in the "might be helpful at some point" category, definitely not something I can count on.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    numbers, what's the public transportation like in Omaha? If they're not going to offer a shuttle, which absolutely boggles my mind because every single one of the eleven Nationals I've attended has had a shuttle system, then the city should have a good public bus system that runs early and late. I totally agree with Ann that hotel shuttles are nice, but they don't usually run on a reliable schedule like a Nationals-only transportation system.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    When I reviewed the list of official hotels (which IIRC is where the official shuttles go to, right?), most of them are within a 5-14 block radius of the arena.

I don't use the MAT system because I live too far away to know what it runs like at night, but like I said the hotels listed on the site are generally in a 1 mile radius of the arena

vCash
    The Marriott is the closest (other than the Hilton) and is right down the road from the arena. Most of the others (except for the Fairfield and the Magnolia) are within a 10-13 minute walk. But that could be a very difficult walk on snowy/icy streets.

vCash
    Has every Nationals had shuttles? Honestly I rarely bother to buy the ticket because I just don't find it worth it so...I just don't know. I did buy one in Spokane but...didn't in Greensboro, didn't in St Paul, don't recall for a lot of other cities, but really I think the only ones I bought and used were Los Angeles and Spokane (and even in LA it was just too much trouble at night so I walked home) Can't really see a good reason to buy one in San Jose either.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Has every Nationals had shuttles? Honestly I rarely bother to buy the ticket because I just don't find it worth it so...I just don't know. I did buy one in Spokane but...didn't in Greensboro, didn't in St Paul, don't recall for a lot of other cities, but really I think the only ones I bought and used were Los Angeles and Spokane (and even in LA it was just too much trouble at night so I walked home) Can't really see a good reason to buy one in San Jose either.
    Since 2001, the only one I think didn't have a shuttle was Portland because they have the free light rail. Not sure about Cleveland because my hotel was connected to the arena.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Since 2001, the only one I think didn't have a shuttle was Portland because they have the free light rail. Not sure about Cleveland because my hotel was connected to the arena.
    So wonder why USFSA didn't make that a requirement...

Oh wait, the fans will come regardless of what they do (Right?) So there's no need to make it easy on them.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Hey juli, thanks for giving us some inside info. I hope your mom and the other event coordinators are giving some thought to shuttle transportation for skaters and fans staying in downtown hotels.

I hope you find a way to participate in the events, even if you don't make the age cut to be a volunteer.

I'm pretty sure there will be shuttle transportation from the other official hotels other than the Hilton, but I'm not totally sure, and my mom isn't home right now, so I can't ask.

Thanks, I'm probably going to be an official fan. Haha, just kidding, I'll be the ancient minus cute-factor sweeper. I'm short, I can pull it off.... Emote overload!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Those staying at the Hilton won't need it. As for the other downtown hotels, many provide shuttles to various events anyway and very likely will do so for an event this size.

Omaha has hosted NCAA Final Four Volleyball twice and U.S. Swim Olympic Trials (both at CenturyLink) once and will have a second round at that event under its belt before Nationals. And never mind the huge event that is the College World Series which we have hosted for 60 years now. Believe it or not, Nebraska can manage an event just fine.
    Are you from Nebraska too? You said "we"....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Those looking for a hotel might want to look at the Element in Midtown Crossing. They usually run a shuttle bus from Midtown to the Century Link center. Also, I live across the street and can probably drive some people. Like three. I have a VW Beetle.

Ticket prices do seem high, but I've paid over $100 for concerts at the Century Link, so...

I also have a couch available, if you like cats. And lots of cat fur...

Oh, in terms of snow and traffic, the city does a pretty good job of keeping major roads cleared. Unless we get clobbered by three feet of snow, I wouldn't worry about the weather.
    Omaha person! Are you a skater? Chances are, I know you....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    There are many hotels within walking distance of the arena (within a 10 - 15 block radius). If you head towards the Old Market area or even to slightly west of the arena, there will be good lighting and plenty of people walking to their cars. As Princess indicated many of the downtown or mid-town hotels have shuttles. While the Hilton may be the main hotel for skaters, judges, press etc. there can be plenty of lobby chicking in the arena walkways/concourse. The Old Market area has many restaurants and bars that will most likely be frequented by skaters/families/etc.

Winter is unpredictable. Living here all my life, there have been usually warm Januarys, colder than usual Januarys, no snow/ice Januarys, lots of snow/ice. I wouldn't begin to predict what the weather will be like, because if you don't like the weather it will change in a half-hour . January weather can be unpredictable in any place. Remember the cold snap in Atlanta, the ice storm in Portland,?

Omaha peep! If you're a skater, like I've said already to other people, I most likely know you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    There are great restaurants in the Old Market district for you to all look forward to...a link:

http://www.oldmarket.com/dining.asp

Higher priced places on that list that we love: Nicola's Italian, The Flatiron, and the French Cafe

Mid-priced: M's Pubb, La Buvette (for wine, breads, cheeses--amazing wine list there), Stokes, Upstream (microbrews for beer lovers), Zio's Pizza (really cheap lunches!), and Spaghetti Works.

For bakery items: Wheatfield's is to die for.

I'll be back to remind you all in a year! Seriously, you'll like Omaha.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Spaghetti Works and Upstream. The Upstream in West Omaha is about 5 minutes in traffic from my house, so it's very convenient. And the root beer is so good, for those of you underage like me! Their food in general is excellent. And I've never been to the French Cafe, but it's my mom's favorite restaurant.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't want to have to fight with dozens of other people to get on a little hotel shuttle, nor will I count on their keeping those shuttles circulating constantly between hotel and arena from early morning till late at night. Won't shuttles have to be diverted for airport runs? Free airport transportation is very nice; I'm sure we'll all want to take advantage of it. Bottom line: For me, the hotel shuttles are in the "might be helpful at some point" category, definitely not something I can count on.
    It depends on how they do it. I've done events where the hotels knew what was up and ran extra shuttles and shuttles at special times. (For example, having them at 5am to get you to the start of a race and starting the free breakfast at 4am on top of it) I've also done events where the hotel was clueless -- the "free breakfast" started 2 hours after the race, no extra shuttles at the appropriate times.

If it was me, I'd call the hotels I was interested in and ask what their plans are and pick the hotel with the best shuttle plan.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I realize that the NE would be better for you, but sadly you are one person and what's good for you may not be good for someone else. Somewhere in this thread there's a poster from Omaha. This is a great event for her.
    In your entire post, you said everything I wanted to say to that person! I refrained, however, because I'm kinda timid to talk back to people on here, since I'm new, and pretty young compared to a lot of the posters. Yeah, it's a great opportunity for the city, we're all so excited, my mom told me as soon as she found out that we got it, and then my coach told my whole group class that night, and the press release was the next morning, so when my coach told us, all 10 of us were jumping up and down (on the ice!) and shrieking. Granted, they're mostly 7-11 yrs old, but it's so exciting!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast