Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm so excited! I live in Omaha and my mom is the president of my club, one of the four clubs in the area that are helping (minimally) with the event. It's so exciting to see people on here mentioning my city, where I have lived for 13 years, over and over again!

Contrary to popular belief, there ARE things to do in Omaha. We have a really nice children's museum, a great zoo with a great aquarium (not the best choice in January though), some fantastic museums, and a ton of shopping centers and strip malls.

Also, the $120+ Hilton isn't even the best hotel for the price. There are some nice and less costly hotels downtown near the Century Link, and the traffic isn't so horrible that it would be a nightmare to stay at a hotel in West Omaha and rent a car to drive downtown every day for the events. Sure, not as convenient, but a much more financially conscientious plan. I live in West Omaha and it's only about a 30 minute drive to the border between Nebraska and Iowa during rush hour if there are no accidents on the interstate- the longest it's ever taken us is 45 minutes, and there were two accidents on the interstate our direction. To get to the Century Link versus the border, you take off at least 5 minutes, so expect a 25-35 minute drive if you drive from West Omaha.

My coach just bought her tickets on Friday morning and she got an all-event pass, the $970 or however much ones, for the front row! And she got two tickets, the other ticket will be occupied by either her sister (who is the vice-president of our club), her nephew (who I skate with), or one of her skaters.

Also, apparently you have to be 18 yrs old to volunteer at Nationals. I'm nearly 15 years old (sixteen days until my birthday!), so I'll be 16 when Nationals is going on, so not old enough to volunteer. Not fair, in my mind. Sure, they don't want ten year olds being ice monitor or anything, but if you're old enough to drive, shouldn't you be old enough to volunteer? Sorry, excuse my little rant about that, I just had to get it out.

In Greensboro, the ice sweepers were from ages 9 to 13 and they had to be at least preliminary level. They're supposedly going to use the same requirements in 2013. Here in Omaha, there are barely any skaters between those ages and above that level. So they'll get maybe ten skaters that qualify, if they get REALLY lucky. They'll get the amount they need if skaters come from Kansas City, St. Joseph, Des Moines, Ames, Sioux City, etc. And even if skaters came from all those cities, they'd still have barely enough. My personal opinion is that they need to open the age and level boundaries. If I was in charge, I would make the requirements to be at least Freeskate 4 and between 8 and 18 years old. Then we could get a lot of skaters that could help.

Some people just don't think about our skating community here... We have four clubs that are helping, three from Omaha and one from Lincoln, and we have about 40 skaters who are currently taking lessons and competing with my club, which is the largest. So say the other clubs have 30 each, which is about right, and 15 from the Lincoln club. That totals to about 115 skaters. Take out 20 for adult skaters and skaters who are 18 or older. 95. Take out the approximately 20 skaters who are under 8 years old. 75. Take out 20 of those who are Basic Skills skaters. 55. Take out 30 of those who are below Preliminary. 25. Take out the 20 of those that are older than 13. 15 skaters. That would be if every skater was able to do it, and if we had the number of skaters we have now, which is doubtful, because this is the largest number of skaters that the area has ever had that are above pre-preliminary.

ANYWAYS, after that lengthy rant that nobody probably bothered to read, I'm going to stop rambling and post this comment! If anyone has any questions about Nationals, just reply to me, and if I can't tell you the answer, I'll ask my mom. (I didn't say this above, but not only is my mom the president of my club, but she is one of the main coordinators of the event, and a coach with my club is the co-chair of Nationals.) If you read all of this, kudos to you, haha!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Will 2014 U.S. Nat'ls be held on the east coast? Or has a site not been chosen yet?
    They only announced that Omaha had been chosen this spring, I believe in April or so was when my mom got the phone call about us hosting Nationals, so they'll probably announce 2014 Nationals in less than 6 months.

vCash
    Oh, and I forgot to say- If you come to Omaha for 2013 Nationals, expect negative temperatures in the mornings and nights, sometimes it gets to -20 windchill in January, and expect snow. I 99% guarantee that there will be snow on the ground during Nationals. Roads downtown are kept pretty clear however, so even if it's snowing, the roads should be salted and not icy. The snowplow system downtown, especially by the Century Link, is excellent, so no worries. (:

moving right along
    vCash
    Hey juli, thanks for giving us some inside info. I hope your mom and the other event coordinators are giving some thought to shuttle transportation for skaters and fans staying in downtown hotels.

I hope you find a way to participate in the events, even if you don't make the age cut to be a volunteer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaqtpi View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to say- If you come to Omaha for 2013 Nationals, expect negative temperatures in the mornings and nights, sometimes it gets to -20 windchill in January, and expect snow. I 99% guarantee that there will be snow on the ground during Nationals.
    If the clubs organizing this Nationals in Omaha do as well as that in St Paul, Minnesota in 2008, we will have nothing to worry about. They did a stellar job and -3 without the windchill didn't have a negative impact at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Hey juli, thanks for giving us some inside info. I hope your mom and the other event coordinators are giving some thought to shuttle transportation for skaters and fans staying in downtown hotels.

I hope you find a way to participate in the events, even if you don't make the age cut to be a volunteer.
    Those staying at the Hilton won't need it. As for the other downtown hotels, many provide shuttles to various events anyway and very likely will do so for an event this size.

Omaha has hosted NCAA Final Four Volleyball twice and U.S. Swim Olympic Trials (both at CenturyLink) once and will have a second round at that event under its belt before Nationals. And never mind the huge event that is the College World Series which we have hosted for 60 years now. Believe it or not, Nebraska can manage an event just fine.

vCash
    Those looking for a hotel might want to look at the Element in Midtown Crossing. They usually run a shuttle bus from Midtown to the Century Link center. Also, I live across the street and can probably drive some people. Like three. I have a VW Beetle.

Ticket prices do seem high, but I've paid over $100 for concerts at the Century Link, so...

I also have a couch available, if you like cats. And lots of cat fur...

Oh, in terms of snow and traffic, the city does a pretty good job of keeping major roads cleared. Unless we get clobbered by three feet of snow, I wouldn't worry about the weather.

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Those staying at the Hilton won't need it. As for the other downtown hotels, many provide shuttles to various events anyway and very likely will do so for an event this size.

Omaha has hosted NCAA Final Four Volleyball twice and U.S. Swim Olympic Trials (both at CenturyLink) once and will have a second round at that event under its belt before Nationals. And never mind the huge event that is the College World Series which we have hosted for 60 years now. Believe it or not, Nebraska can manage an event just fine.
    Dear Nebraska,
    I know you can manage events just fine. I'm the one who can't manage, which is why I hope you will be prepared for people like me who are worried about getting around in icy conditions. I realize that my is annoying, but unless rooms open up at the Hilton-with-the-tunnel, I'll continue to angst just a bit.

With respect and anticipation of good times,
    -a skating fan

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    There's always a fan shuttle offered at Nationals from the host hotels, so transportation shouldn't be a problem. I went to the College World Series in Omaha in 2005, and the people there were some of the nicest I've ever encountered. Looking forward to their hospitality in 2013!

sk9tingfan, I agree that St. Paul did a fabulous job in 2008. I'd love to return there for Nats. With the hotel connected to the arena through the "habitrail" I only went outside in the freezing temps once the whole week.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I agree that St. Paul did a fabulous job in 2008. I'd love to return there for Nats. With the hotel connected to the arena through the "habitrail" I only went outside in the freezing temps once the whole week.
    After Boston, the best Nationals I've been to yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Dear Nebraska,
    I know you can manage events just fine. I'm the one who can't manage, which is why I hope you will be prepared for people like me who are worried about getting around in icy conditions. I realize that my is annoying, but unless rooms open up at the Hilton-with-the-tunnel, I'll continue to angst just a bit.

With respect and anticipation of good times,
    -a skating fan
    There's just a lot of "omg...it's in Omaha" going on in this thread. Omaha is actually pretty fantastic. We live just 25 minutes or so straight north and go for shopping, entertainment, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Will 2014 U.S. Nat'ls be held on the east coast? Or has a site not been chosen yet?
    The bid package deadline for 2014 is February 2nd. The tentative event dates are December 31st - January 9th, so it appears they will not be repeating the two weekend schedule as they did for the last Olympic year.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    When I attended US and Canadian Nationals in 1994, a premium all event ticket for Detroit was $140 and $80 for Edmonton.

$965 is ridiculous, considering 2012 Canadians are $180.

No wonder stadiums are empty.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    The bid package deadline for 2014 is February 2nd. The tentative event dates are December 31st - January 9th, so it appears they will not be repeating the two weekend schedule as they did for the last Olympic year.
    Those dates are the best news ever!!!!! I've been hoping for them to move Nats closer to the beginning of January like it used to be.

vCash
    ^ First night in Boston is great (just saying )

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    ^ First night in Boston is great (just saying )
    I'm crossing my fingers for Boston! I have quite the love affair with that city. It would be amazing to celebrate New Year's there.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    When I attended US and Canadian Nationals in 1994, a premium all event ticket for Detroit was $140 and $80 for Edmonton.

$965 is ridiculous, considering 2012 Canadians are $180.

No wonder stadiums are empty.
    the prices for worlds next year is similar in London..no offence to lovely Omaha but i think i would prefer going to World Championships
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    You get more skating a Nationals though. (And someone has to pay for all the ice.)
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    the prices for worlds next year is similar in London..no offence to lovely Omaha but i think i would prefer going to World Championships
    Yeah but London is a total PITA to get to and it sounds like the hotel situation won't be good. Still don't know what Skate Canada was thinking when they bid London as a host.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Yeah but London is a total PITA to get to and it sounds like the hotel situation won't be good. Still don't know what Skate Canada was thinking when they bid London as a host.
    They wanted the entire town of Ilderton to fit in the arena (aka, ensure that V/M will be there?)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast