Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    Soooo whaaaat????
    Uh, you don't have to like the skater in the video, but why don't you show some respect to the person who took the time to compile all of these clips?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I was shocked when she won worlds. I mean, I was not shocked at her placement but just overall-the whole competition was shocking LOL. Never in my mind did I think Sasha would get anything but gold let alone Kimmie be on the podium. I thought she was a dark horse for bronze at best
    I don't think anyone, even Kimmie herself thought she had a shot in hell at the title. It was Cohen's to lose and as per usual, she lost it. I was actually more shocked with Cohen's meltdown than I was with Kimmie winning. Suguri was next in line after Cohen but a few mistakes and a blah program didn't boost her to gold either. Kimmie snuck in and took the title at the right place and the right time since the general consensus at the time was that once Mao and Yuna became eligible for Worlds, they would dominate the scene....which is what happened through the next quadrennial.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Uh, you don't have to like the skater in the video, but why don't you show some respect to the person who took the time to compile all of these clips?
    You know, I do those videos with triple-triples or quads because I like to have them all in one place, one after another, just to watch them, admire and compare. When I did the first one (Irina Slutskaya) I thought that maybe some people would like to watch it as well, just because it's nice to see all the times Miki Ando went for quad or Shizuka threw efortlessly her triple-triple-triples. If you have any problem with me posting these videos here I don't have to do it, I can very well keep them for myself, no problem. But many peaople thank for those videos, request next skaters and are happy to watch them. I'll go for majority (you're the first one with such a comment) and will keep posting them here until more users will express their disapproval.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I don't think anyone, even Kimmie herself thought she had a shot in hell at the title. It was Cohen's to lose and as per usual, she lost it. I was actually more shocked with Cohen's meltdown than I was with Kimmie winning. Suguri was next in line after Cohen but a few mistakes and a blah program didn't boost her to gold either. Kimmie snuck in and took the title at the right place and the right time since the general consensus at the time was that once Mao and Yuna became eligible for Worlds, they would dominate the scene....which is what happened through the next quadrennial.
    This was the ONE time I thought Cohen really, legitimately had a shot at the world championship if she just skated normally. (2004 was Arakawa's year and 2005 was Slutskaya's.) Even with her usual FS performance w/fall I think that would have been enough. However, her heart clearly wasn't in it and she should have skipped it. People say Rochette should have given this year's Worlds a shot but who's to say she wouldn't have struggled as well? Look at Yuna Kim...even the "Queen" isn't immune to the common struggles of returning to competition after extended time away.

Meissner took advantage of probably the weakest ladies field at Worlds in a long time and couldn't have chosen a better time to peak. She was clean but imo that was about it. Good enough since no one else brought it.

I'd have that win as the biggest shocker in the time I've been watching skating. Even bigger than Hughes' win at Olys imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartek View Post
    You know, I do those videos with triple-triples or quads because I like to have them all in one place, one after another, just to watch them, admire and compare. When I did the first one (Irina Slutskaya) I thought that maybe some people would like to watch it as well, just because it's nice to see all the times Miki Ando went for quad or Shizuka threw efortlessly her triple-triple-triples. If you have any problem with me posting these videos here I don't have to do it, I can very well keep them for myself, no problem. But many peaople thank for those videos, request next skaters and are happy to watch them. I'll go for majority (you're the first one with such a comment) and will keep posting them here until more users will express their disapproval.
    I'm not sure you understood my post.

I was defending you.

vCash
    I'm not sure you understood my post.

I was defending you.
    Yeah I know and thank you! I was replying to the post you had replied to. When I used quotation I tought it would include both your post and the offensive one.

vCash
    Yeah I know and thank you! I was replying to the post you had replied to. When I used quotation I tought it would include both your post and the offensive one.
    Oh, okay.

You're welcome. I appreciate all of the hard work you put into those 3-3 videos!

vCash
    I like the videos- please keep posting them! Even if someone isn't the most artistic skater to grace the ice, technical competency is always appreciated in my camp. I prefer the whole package, but I'm as much of an artistic fan (I'm a total Sasha whore" as I am an athletic fan (Kimmie fan girl). Don't listen to the haters- if they don't like it, then they don't have to read the thread, now, do they?

vCash
    I don't think a skater can be classified as technically competent if she/he doesn't have proper techniques on one or more of the technical elements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think a skater can be classified as technically competent if she/he doesn't have proper techniques on one or more of the technical elements.
    Tara Lipinski had a flutz. Is she not "technically competent?"

vCash
    Tara Lipinski had a flutz. Is she not "technically competent?"
    Hehe, now, that's a difficult question. Even though she had a terrible flutz I'd say she was "technically competent". I made video with her combos as well and learnt that MAJORITY of her super difficult 3Lo+3Lo combos were fully rotated what's in my opinion really amazing, also taking into consideration her poor height. But in case of Kimmie, she really had serious technical problems, most of these combos underrotated and they weren't as difficult as Tara's ones. Apart from that she had her toe-axel and lip. She had great technique on her axel and salchow though. I'm going to post videos with her triple axels attempts soon by the way .

vCash
    Oh, okay.

You're welcome. I appreciate all of the hard work you put into those 3-3 videos!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffClair1979 View Post
    I like the videos- please keep posting them! Even if someone isn't the most artistic skater to grace the ice, technical competency is always appreciated in my camp. I prefer the whole package, but I'm as much of an artistic fan (I'm a total Sasha whore" as I am an athletic fan (Kimmie fan girl). Don't listen to the haters- if they don't like it, then they don't have to read the thread, now, do they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    This was the ONE time I thought Cohen really, legitimately had a shot at the world championship if she just skated normally. (2004 was Arakawa's year and 2005 was Slutskaya's.) Even with her usual FS performance w/fall I think that would have been enough. However, her heart clearly wasn't in it and she should have skipped it. People say Rochette should have given this year's Worlds a shot but who's to say she wouldn't have struggled as well? Look at Yuna Kim...even the "Queen" isn't immune to the common struggles of returning to competition after extended time away.

Meissner took advantage of probably the weakest ladies field at Worlds in a long time and couldn't have chosen a better time to peak. She was clean but imo that was about it. Good enough since no one else brought it.

I'd have that win as the biggest shocker in the time I've been watching skating. Even bigger than Hughes' win at Olys imo.
    I think Cohen was in a great position to win in both 2004 and 2006 at worlds, particularly 2006. I thought there was no way she could lose in 2006, but she did. That itself was a shock to me. I don't know which win was more shocking- Hughes in 2002 or Kimmie's in 2006. I would have to go with Hughes as more shocking, as the field included Kwan and Slutskaya. Kimmie's competition was Cohen and Suguri.

Talking of 2004, Arakawa had not done that well that season, but a switch to Tarasova toward the end of the season seemed to boost her confidence. Still, I never thought she would win, before the competition began. I thought it would be Kwan or Cohen. Slutskaya totally dominated 2005 though, so her win was not a shock.

vCash
    I figured Cohen would find a way to mess up '06 (check archives)...given that she has lost to Suguri in the past, I'd figure she'd lose to her again...but I didn't factor KM into the equation at all.

But she should have followed the other Oly medalists and sat out that Worlds. Clearly she didn't want to be there/didn't want it enough.

vCash
    I figured Cohen would find a way to mess up '06 (check archives)...given that she has lost to Suguri in the past, I'd figure she'd lose to her again...but I didn't factor KM into the equation at all.

But she should have followed the other Oly medalists and sat out that Worlds. Clearly she didn't want to be there/didn't want it enough.
    Either she thought it would be easy to win, or she underestimated how fatigued she was from the Olympics.

vCash
    ^ or maybe all of the above.

Blergh
    vCash
    I agree with Vash01 that 2004 was not "Arakawa's year." Cohen won her QR and led in the SP against other clean performances, and Arakawa had an inconsistent season with Suguri winning the GPF, Kwan winning Nationals with 6.0s and Miki Ando was coming out of the Junior ranks blazing. So, it was far from being anyone's year really. I do think had Cohen not fallen out of her last jump and performed her routine with more security and confidence, she might've pulled off an LP win despite Arakawa having the skate of her career (at the time and arguably her whole career) with two 3/3 considering that Cohen took some ordinals from Arakawa and Kwan nearly beat Arakawa in the LP with 5 triples and one of the simplest routines of her career (yes, I know she got a presentation mark boost with the streaker and it being the last major competition using the 6.0 system).
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 08-14-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Aw, Kimmie. I really appreciated her warmth and good attitude. Her last couple of seasons were incredibly difficult as she went through physical changes and injuries, but her artistry (airplane arms in particular) improved a great deal before she retired. Wishing her all the best for her future!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I agree with Vash01 that 2004 was not "Arakawa's year." Cohen won her QR and led in the SP against other clean performances, and Arakawa had an inconsistent season with Suguri winning the GPF, Kwan winning Nationals with 6.0s and Miki Ando was coming out of the Junior ranks blazing. So, it was far from being anyone's year really. I do think had Cohen not fallen out of her last jump and performed her routine with more security and confidence, she might've pulled off an LP win despite Arakawa having the skate of her career (at the time and arguably her whole career) with two 3/3 considering that Cohen took some ordinals from Arakawa and Kwan nearly beat Arakawa in the LP with 5 triples and one of the simplest routines of her career (yes, I know she got a presentation mark boost with the streaker and it being the last major competition using the 6.0 system).
    I don't remember Cohen falling in that routine- I do remember a couple of stumbles and perhaps one of the flattest performances I've seen from her. There was no attack, no will. A complete contrast to her SP. Even if it was clean I'm not completely convinced she would have won.

However, at 2006 worlds- even if Cohen had a repeat of Torino in the FS it might have been enough to eek out the win. Suguri was (also) underwhelming and Meissner was all jumps.

vCash
    I don't remember Cohen falling in that routine- I do remember a couple of stumbles and perhaps one of the flattest performances I've seen from her. There was no attack, no will. A complete contrast to her SP. Even if it was clean I'm not completely convinced she would have won.

However, at 2006 worlds- even if Cohen had a repeat of Torino in the FS it might have been enough to eek out the win. Suguri was (also) underwhelming and Meissner was all jumps.
    TVG said "falling out"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast