Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I don't approve of this, but, I do think it could be a case of the original meaning of something getting lost in pop culture.

Maybe the outfit is meant to look like Julia Roberts' character more than a hooker. Yes, she was portraying a prostitute, but in a very candied version that made her more of a fairy tale character - a heroine - than dealing with the realities of prostitution. The movie is a romantic comedy after all.

Another example might be the favourite childhood song/dance of Ring Around the Rosy. Millions of children have joined hands and danced around singing this song; I know I did. What many don't realize is that the song is about the plague, and when they "all fall down" they are recreating the horrible deaths of tens of thousands of people. I don't think too many people give parents or teachers a hard time about teaching little kids that song/dance, and when its real meaning is pointed out, I think most just consider it interesting and carry on.

Perhaps Julia's character is going that way - remembered as a modern day fairytale princess more than a hooker.
    Yeah but they chose the hooker version of Roberts's character not the fairytale version. The lack of judgement and discernment on the part of her parents is

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ...Another example might be the favourite childhood song/dance of Ring Around the Rosy. Millions of children have joined hands and danced around singing this song; I know I did. What many don't realize is that the song is about the plague, and when they "all fall down" they are recreating the horrible deaths of tens of thousands of people..
    I never knew that. Amazing the things you learn on FSU!

vCash
    Another example might be the favourite childhood song/dance of Ring Around the Rosy. Millions of children have joined hands and danced around singing this song; I know I did. What many don't realize is that the song is about the plague, and when they "all fall down" they are recreating the horrible deaths of tens of thousands of people. I don't think too many people give parents or teachers a hard time about teaching little kids that song/dance, and when its real meaning is pointed out, I think most just consider it interesting and carry on.
    Great point. If that's what the song was really about.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    at my godchildrens' school, they make them substitute a different word for ashes, i cant remember what it is now.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Great point. If that's what the song was really about.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp
    Interesting! Although I must say that there is little actual fact presented, making this as much a theory as the one about the plague.

The point that no one apparently made the connection to the plague until the 1950s is strong, but what appears to be the main basis of the argument on snopes - that there's no way a song lasted intact from the 1300s to the first time it is known to have appeared in print in the 1880s - is weak. Other sources suggest it originated with the plague of the late 1600s, and was known to have been sung only a century later.

Guess it's like so much poetry, song lyrics and prose - open to interpretation.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    at my godchildrens' school, they make them substitute a different word for ashes, i cant remember what it is now.
    I grew up singing "hush-a, hush-a," more like sneezing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456