Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

"Toddlers and Tiaras" Star Is Retiring from Pageants

OMG. I Googled this kid's name and found....

http://www.littleedenwood.com/

This is just sick.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I can't say I endorse this kind of thing, but it strikes me that it's not much different than children who became marketing brands in the past - from Shirley Temple to the Olsen twins. The only thing that's changed is there are more ways to get famous now - websites, youtube, social media, reality shows etc.

vCash
    But the Olsen twins and Shirley Temple were branded/merchandised after they became recognized for doing something else (acting). Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.

And a "showgirl doll" based on a six-year-old is just wrong.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But the Olsen twins and Shirley Temple were branded/merchandised after they became recognized for doing something else (acting). Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.

And a "showgirl doll" based on a six-year-old is just wrong.
    Like I said, I don't endorse this - I was more just commenting on how children as brands is not a new concept (not that you said it was) with only the methods changing over the years (which I find interesting).

At the same time, I'll argue that what the Olsen twins did before they became a massive moneymaking brand wasn't much - cutsey appearances on a sitcom isn't much different than competing in pageants IMO.

As for going on youtube etc as a first step toward a legitimate career is not unprecedented either - that's how Justin Bieber got started.

vCash
    I think that Tiger Woods Dad forced him into golf but lucked out as he had a son who wanted to play and had a gift for the game. I feel the same about Shirley Temple and her mother---Shirley had incredible talent for a child so young. But I don't think most parents forcing their children into whatever don't realize there are very few who actually excel. And doing what this little girl does is nothing to write home about...What was/is her Mom/Dad thinking?

vCash
    Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.
    Yes, but A (homemade videos) can be the gateway to B (legit career). See: Justin Beiber

vCash
    But how many entertainers other than Bieber have made a career through YouTube? Just because one person managed to be discovered through YouTube doesn't mean it's a viable career option.

And I would guess that Bieber's mom, or whoever was posting his videos, wasn't posting them with claims that he had "hit singles" or with any of the other hyperbole that this kid's website is full of.

vCash
    The girl's mother has "Hollywood aspirations" for her.
    She'll be just "one of thousands" there, I'm sure.

vCash
    And I would guess that Bieber's mom, or whoever was posting his videos, wasn't posting them with claims that he had "hit singles" or with any of the other hyperbole that this kid's website is full of.
    True. Talent before hype.

vCash
    How many skaters have we seen hyped before they did anything? That concept is not new either.

vCash
    But how many entertainers other than Bieber have made a career through YouTube?
    Yuto Miyazawa. http://www.yutoguitar.com And of course, Susan Boyle.
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 08-11-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Correcting the Lass's name

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Yuto Miyazawa. http://www.yutoguitar.com And of course, Sarah Boyle.
    Do you mean Susan Boyle?
    She was a finalist on Britain's Got Talent, which is how she got onto YouTube. So she had some degree of fame beforehand.
    And I don't know the other performer you've named, so I wouldn't agree that YouTube has made him that much of a star....

vCash
    Do you mean Susan Boyle?
    She was a finalist on Britain's Got Talent, which is how she got onto YouTube. So she had some degree of fame beforehand.
    And I don't know the other performer you've named, so I wouldn't agree that YouTube has made him that much of a star....
    Well, the Ozman knows him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yuto_miyazawa Ever appear on stage with Ozzy when you were 10?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Well, the Ozman knows him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yuto_miyazawa Ever appear on stage with Ozzy when you were 10?
    If you have to put a Wikipedia link to explain who this person is, they are not as famous as you think they are.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    eden reminds me of anna nicole smith for some reason
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    OMG -- I was wondering who she reminded me of!

vCash
    I heard Eden was a fierce drug fiend. Her and Amy were often seen together. Throw Julia Andrews in the mix and you have a real party not to be missed.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    But how many entertainers other than Bieber have made a career through YouTube?
    Depends on how you define "career," I would think.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    She reminds me of JonBenet. I'm paranoid but there are too many pervs out there to advertise your child this way.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    She reminds me of JonBenet. I'm paranoid but there are too many pervs out there to advertise your child this way.
    Do pervs actually go for little beauty queens?

I always thought that what pervs liked about children was their innocence. I would think that they would be turned off by the, let's say, overly polished look that the pagaent girls have. And pervs seem to seek out isolated, loner kids, not little spotlight huggers.

I don't know if that's true; I've asked before, but never gotten an answer on that.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast