Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Y'all are casting your pearls before swine!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Michelle Kwan was one of the best things that ever happened to U.S. Figure Skating, and they sure as hell knew it.

vCash
    Why even bother to acknowledge such nonsense. Just another unhappy button pusher getting their kicks playing the bigotry and race cards. Screw em!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    I've previous made my thoughts clear on referring to U.S. Figure Skating as a discrete entity. That being said:

U.S. Figure Skating worships the ground Michelle Kwans walks on.

The association will never deliberately slight her. However, she has not maintained much of an ongoing relationship with the association; much more than Sarah or Tara, Michelle has moved on to a new phase of her life. Some skaters crave recognition from U.S. Figure Skating because it brings their past accomplishments - which form the core of their identity - back into the spotlight. Michelle does not seem to crave recognition of past accomplishments; she runs from spotlights.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    I've previous made my thoughts clear on referring to U.S. Figure Skating as a discrete entity. That being said:

U.S. Figure Skating worships the ground Michelle Kwans walks on.

The association will never deliberately slight her. However, she has not maintained much of an ongoing relationship with the association; much more than Sarah or Tara, Michelle has moved on to a new phase of her life. Some skaters crave recognition from U.S. Figure Skating because it brings their past accomplishments - which form the core of their identity - back into the spotlight. Michelle does not seem to crave recognition of past accomplishments; she runs from spotlights.
    Self-praise is no recommendation.

vCash
    Isn't it possible that Michelle still has some endorsement contracts that require her to maintain her eligible status, even if she has no intention of returning to competitive skating? That would preclude her induction into the HOF at this time.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I thought it was stated that a skater's status does not matter. What matters is the amount of time has passed since one's last eligible competition and when they get inducted into the HoF.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    But it gives an impression to the general public that one has retired. Michelle's sponsors may not want her inducted into the HOF just yet. 1000% speculation on my part.

vCash
    I'm not sure why it matters. It's not as if Kwan has been active in the skating scene in 5 years. Doing a few shows for Yu Na does not give anyone the impression that she's training for Sochi.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Self-praise is no recommendation.
    You posted this in response to my last post; I don't understand what you mean. I certainly wasn't praising myself; to me, it's pretty clear that I wasn't even talking about myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I'm not sure why it matters. It's not as if Kwan has been active in the skating scene in 5 years.
    But Average Joe doesn't know that. When I was on my way to Spokane in 2007, someone at the airport asked me if Nancy Kerrigan would be competing. But anyway, it was just a thought.

vCash
    You posted this in response to my last post; I don't understand what you mean. I certainly wasn't praising myself; to me, it's pretty clear that I wasn't even talking about myself.
    Referring to Tara and Sarah, perhaps?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Read post # 92.

vCash
    much more than Sarah or Tara, Michelle has moved on to a new phase of her life.
    Huh? Sarah has definitely moved on to a new phase of her life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Huh? Sarah has definitely moved on to a new phase of her life.
    Tara shelved her moribund acting career to do skating commentary. Michelle has a BA and MA and has had diplomat assignments with the last two US administrations. Sarah graduated from Yale several years ago, but what has she done since then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Tara shelved her moribund acting career to do skating commentary. Michelle has a BA and MA and has had diplomat assignments with the last two US administrations. Sarah graduated from Yale several years ago, but what has she done since then?
    Yes, I assumed that the other poster was talking about skating. Tara is into skating commentary, even Michelle still does a bit of skating from time to time. I don't know what Sarah is doing these days, but she seems as far removed from FS as one can get.

vCash
    Well, Sarah is invited to some shows this upcoming season. Does she have another job?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Well, Sarah is invited to some shows this upcoming season. Does she have another job?
    Apparently not.

vCash
    Sarah is listed for two Disson shows; Fashion on Ice and Beatles on Ice. I'm looking forward to seeing her back on the ice. I hope she's gotten some of her jumps back.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Sarah is writing a book.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast