Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,962
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7850

    Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

    This winter will mark seven years since Kwan last competed -- will this be the year that she officially retires and is inducted into the Hall of Fame? That would be a lovely recognition at Nationals, and the year before Olympic selections good from a timing perspective as well.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,068
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    So if she is elected, would she be inducted at this coming year's Nats (2012) or the following year (2013)? I'll be in San Jose and would love to see her inducted then. I won't be in Omaha, though.

    Is 7 years out a new requirement? I think Kristi Y was inducted in 1998, along with Brian B. Kristi had been out for 6 years and Brian only for 4, since he'd reinstated and competed in '94.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No. A skater must be retired 5 years before being inducted. But I don't recall if that's the national or international hall of fame.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,400
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4361
    I hope that Michelle is inducted in 2012 ... it would be particularly appropriate to have the ceremony where she won her first Nat title. She has certainly earned her place.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Whichever year it is, there is little chance of her not being chosen the first year.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,721
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'd love to see it happen at 2012 US Nationals!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I'd love to see it happen at 2012 US Nationals!
    So would I. Will bring a lot of tissues and throat lozenges if it does in preparation.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40900
    Maybe someone should contact the USFS.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,833
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I'd love to see it happen at 2012 US Nationals!
    I wonder if she steps foot on the ice if she will win the ladies competition. YAY 10th National Title!!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, she deserves it !

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35596
    Probably a silly question, but do you have to officially retire (i.e., file paperwork) in order to be inducted?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Probably a silly question, but do you have to officially retire (i.e., file paperwork) in order to be inducted?
    Not a silly question at all. I would think the answer is yes. I guess that many of us are hoping that she has or will do just that so that we can go crazy in San Jose at the Induction Ceremony

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40900
    I think we have to find out since this may be the first "generation" where skaters don't officially retire anymore considering that the pro circuit is pretty much dead. Maybe official status doesn't matter as long as you haven't competed for the amount of time it takes to be eligible.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    i hope so.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    192
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    only skaters retired for certain years (can't remember if it's 5 or 7) are eligible for being named to USFSHOF. did Kwan ever officially announce her retirement? if she didn't, then she can't be nominated.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,400
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4361
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    only skaters retired for certain years (can't remember if it's 5 or 7) are eligible for being named to USFSHOF. did Kwan ever officially announce her retirement? if she didn't, then she can't be nominated.
    When did Sarah Hughes formally announce her retirement? I thought she did just what Michelle did ... do other things, and refrain from competing, but no formal announcement.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35336
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think we have to find out since this may be the first "generation" where skaters don't officially retire anymore considering that the pro circuit is pretty much dead. Maybe official status doesn't matter as long as you haven't competed for the amount of time it takes to be eligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    only skaters retired for certain years (can't remember if it's 5 or 7) are eligible for being named to USFSHOF. did Kwan ever officially announce her retirement? if she didn't, then she can't be nominated.
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    When did Sarah Hughes formally announce her retirement? I thought she did just what Michelle did ... do other things, and refrain from competing, but no formal announcement.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no "official retirement announcement" required for HOF eligibility. It just has to be X number of years since they last competed, for a skater (not all HOF members were competitive skaters). Not sure if it is 5 or 6 years, but it's definitely less than 7.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35596
    ^^If that is the case, then surely USFS will want to bestow this honor upon Michelle this year.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hmmm? in the Hall of Fame so soon? Who says? Word on the street is Kwan is planning to compete this upcoming season with her arsenal of triple triples and planning to win not only nationals, but her 6th world title

  20. #20
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5836
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Hmmm? in the Hall of Fame so soon? Who says? Word on the street is Kwan is planning to compete this upcoming season with her arsenal of triple triples and planning to win not only nationals, but her 6th world title
    I'm liking this a lot...
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •