Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

This winter will mark seven years since Kwan last competed -- will this be the year that she officially retires and is inducted into the Hall of Fame? That would be a lovely recognition at Nationals, and the year before Olympic selections good from a timing perspective as well.

vCash
    So if she is elected, would she be inducted at this coming year's Nats (2012) or the following year (2013)? I'll be in San Jose and would love to see her inducted then. I won't be in Omaha, though.

Is 7 years out a new requirement? I think Kristi Y was inducted in 1998, along with Brian B. Kristi had been out for 6 years and Brian only for 4, since he'd reinstated and competed in '94.

vCash
    No. A skater must be retired 5 years before being inducted. But I don't recall if that's the national or international hall of fame.

vCash
    I hope that Michelle is inducted in 2012 ... it would be particularly appropriate to have the ceremony where she won her first Nat title. She has certainly earned her place.

vCash
    Whichever year it is, there is little chance of her not being chosen the first year.

vCash
    I'd love to see it happen at 2012 US Nationals!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    So would I. Will bring a lot of tissues and throat lozenges if it does in preparation.

vCash
    Maybe someone should contact the USFS.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I wonder if she steps foot on the ice if she will win the ladies competition. YAY 10th National Title!!

vCash
    Well, she deserves it !

vCash
    Probably a silly question, but do you have to officially retire (i.e., file paperwork) in order to be inducted?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Probably a silly question, but do you have to officially retire (i.e., file paperwork) in order to be inducted?
    Not a silly question at all. I would think the answer is yes. I guess that many of us are hoping that she has or will do just that so that we can go crazy in San Jose at the Induction Ceremony

vCash
    I think we have to find out since this may be the first "generation" where skaters don't officially retire anymore considering that the pro circuit is pretty much dead. Maybe official status doesn't matter as long as you haven't competed for the amount of time it takes to be eligible.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    i hope so.

vCash
    only skaters retired for certain years (can't remember if it's 5 or 7) are eligible for being named to USFSHOF. did Kwan ever officially announce her retirement? if she didn't, then she can't be nominated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    only skaters retired for certain years (can't remember if it's 5 or 7) are eligible for being named to USFSHOF. did Kwan ever officially announce her retirement? if she didn't, then she can't be nominated.
    When did Sarah Hughes formally announce her retirement? I thought she did just what Michelle did ... do other things, and refrain from competing, but no formal announcement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think we have to find out since this may be the first "generation" where skaters don't officially retire anymore considering that the pro circuit is pretty much dead. Maybe official status doesn't matter as long as you haven't competed for the amount of time it takes to be eligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    When did Sarah Hughes formally announce her retirement? I thought she did just what Michelle did ... do other things, and refrain from competing, but no formal announcement.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no "official retirement announcement" required for HOF eligibility. It just has to be X number of years since they last competed, for a skater (not all HOF members were competitive skaters). Not sure if it is 5 or 6 years, but it's definitely less than 7.

vCash
    ^^If that is the case, then surely USFS will want to bestow this honor upon Michelle this year.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Hmmm? in the Hall of Fame so soon? Who says? Word on the street is Kwan is planning to compete this upcoming season with her arsenal of triple triples and planning to win not only nationals, but her 6th world title

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Hmmm? in the Hall of Fame so soon? Who says? Word on the street is Kwan is planning to compete this upcoming season with her arsenal of triple triples and planning to win not only nationals, but her 6th world title
    I'm liking this a lot...
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast