Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks for all the recommendations! Thanks to Really and Prancer for suggesting the CNET reviews. That site is great! Not only do they have reviews but they have a feature where you can punch in the features you want in a laptop too. I'm seeing a lot of the laptops mentioned in this thread (HP Pavilion, ThinkPad, Toshiba, Asus, etc).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Good luck with your MLIS. I finished mine just about 2 years ago.

vCash
    I've been lusting after this HP laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157822

Only $484 (I've seen it as low as $454), fantastic specs (320GB hard drive, 2.1 GHz, FOUR GB RAM!) and great reviews, too.

I can't personally speak to HP laptop quality, but I have an HP desktop computer from 2003 still running strong, just a few memory upgrades and a secondary HD. If my computer died tomorrow (knock on wood), I'd buy this laptop immediately.

vCash
    Lenovos have a reputation for being durable so that might be an option. I had an Asus U50f with an i3, which I bought from Best Buy, and what a piece of crap it was. One day it just stop working altogether and my warranty was useless The darn thing only lasted like a good 8-9 months

I'm just going to save a little and switch to mac !

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Once you go Mac you NEVER go back! I got a Mac when I went back to school and I will NEVER EVER own another PC in my life.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I'm just going to save a little and switch to mac!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Once you go Mac you NEVER go back! I got a Mac when I went back to school and I will NEVER EVER own another PC in my life.
    They are nice machines but they're so expensive! I was looking at a review for a MacBook Air the other day and it was a little over $1,000 which I thought wasn't too bad then I realized it was an 11 inch!

I have a friend who has a older Mac laptop (I think it's about four or five years old-it's the all white one) and it still runs strong. It was also really fast, much fast than the PC desktop I have. She also said that she never had a virus the entire time she has owned it. So I admit that they are built well and they are very aesthetically pleasing but the price! Apple why!?
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    They are nice machines but they're so expensive! I was looking at a review for a MacBook Air the other day and it was a little over $1,000 which I thought wasn't too bad then I realized it was an 11 inch!

I have a friend who has a older Mac laptop (I think it's about four or five years old-it's the all white one) and it still runs strong. It was also really fast, much fast than the PC desktop I have. She also said that she never had a virus the entire time she has owned it. So I admit that they are built well and they are very aesthetically pleasing but the price! Apple why!?
    It sure would have been nice for Apple to either upgrade the white Macbook as usual or lower the price to say $800 rather than eliminate it completely. They were good entry-level machines, I have mine from 2007 and while no speed demon it's still running well. I lurve the 11 inch Air but it's NOT an equal substitute at that screen size (plus you'd need an external DVD drive etc).

That said, is there a Microcenter store nearby to you? They have the Macbook Pro for $999 which is a pretty decent deal.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0358117

Otherwise, Windows 7 is a perfectly fine system and I'm sure you'll find something good! I second what Prancer said though, you have to decide whether you prefer power or portability and go from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    I've had a Sony Vaio for 3.5 years, and I love it. Reliable and haven't had a problem with it--even though I bang it around and carry it in my backpack to lab every day.

Plus, on a purely superficial note, it's so pretty!
    I love mine too - had very good luck with it, almost 2 years old. And I love the red color.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    She also said that she never had a virus the entire time she has owned it. So I admit that they are built well and they are very aesthetically pleasing but the price! Apple why!?
    I've been using PCs for almost 20 years and have never had a virus.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 08-09-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash

Every single time I've ever had to use a Mac, I've always wanted to strangle it. I think I'm an anomaly. Also, they're not perfect either. My friend and I bought new laptops at the same time 5 years ago. I bought a Dell and my friend bought a Mac. My Dell is still, knock on wood, going strong and running well. I watched my friend's die twice within 6 months of purchase. I think my friend is now on Mac #3...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I've been using PCs for almost 20 years and have never had virus.
    Same. Most viruses are acquired via user error. My workplace attempted to block Facebook once (which, as a news organization that HAS ITS OWN FB PAGE was a little ridiculous) because someone allegedly got a virus from it. Jigga what?!

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Same. Most viruses are acquired via user error
    Yup.

Also, I've never had to take any of my computers in for repair (and, no, I don't have any idea how to fix them myself )
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Minecraft Widow
    vCash

<snip />

So I admit that they are built well and they are very aesthetically pleasing but the price! Apple why!?
    I see your and I'll give you a reply anyway because it is bursting out of me.

I've been listening to the Your Mac Life podcast even since before I joined FSU. The host, Shawn King, addresses this question every now and again. He says that Apple wants to build a quality machine, and is not interested in making the compromises that would be necessary to make a cheap laptop. Partly because there isn't enough profit margins, but also because Steve Jobs doesn't like to make cheap (as in low quality) things.

Two things to consider in your decision-making process.

1. If you can, visit a store that has machines like the one you are considering. Check out the monitor and keyboard. If you really don't like them, you may want to look elsewhere as those are two things that will be in your face all the time.

2. Try calling their customer support. (Sometimes you can't get very far with this pre-sales, but it's always worth a shot.) If you have an aggravating experience, you may have important information about what not to buy.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    My first computer was an iMac. It died after about a year and a half, and I've never GONE back. PC's all the way
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    My first computer was an iMac. It died after about a year and a half, and I've never GONE back. PC's all the way
    When I took computer science I back in the stone age when the interwebz was brand new (remember Lynx?), I was afraid I would do something to make the PCs explode, so I used a Mac (in the computer lab). Now that I know what I'm doing, I use a PC. </ganging up on Macs and the people who use them>
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I ask that no one recommend a Mac.
    Why is that every time someone posts this in their original request for advice, the thread always ends up being a fight over Macs?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Why is that every time someone posts this in their original request for advice, the thread always ends up being a fight over Macs?
    It's the eternal question. Unchecked, it will devolve into Kwan vs. Lipinski.

vCash
    I luuuuuuurve my Sony Vaio. A bit pricier than some of the other brands but worth it, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venja View Post
    One brand that lots of sales reps have recommended was Samsung. I don't have any experiences with it, so I can't really comment on it. Does anyone have a Samsung computer?
    I have a Samsung and I love it! I have for just under a year (I think I bought it last September). I had bought an HP the previous school year and it was HELL! The battery died 3 months later and they refused to repair it even thought it was under warranty so I had to buy a new battery at 99e which died about 2 months later so I sent them the battery and they returned it about 2 months later. It worked fine then when the battery is pluged on but it lasts about 20 mins so it has to stay plugged all the time...

My samsung is very quiet and doesn't heat like the HP did. the only thing that bothers me is that it takes a bit of time when I turn it on.

vCash
    I just wanted to post an update. I got a HP Pavilion dv7 last night. After I told the salesperson what I use my computer for, he convinced me that the best computer for me would be one that had a dedicated graphics card in addition to having lots of RAM and memory. It's actually a gaming computer. It has a 17 in screen but since the only time I could really see taking my laptop with me is when I travel to visit family, the size seems fine. This computer seems to be the best for my needs while also being in my budget (with a year of full Geek Squad support the total was a little over $1,000. The computer itself was $750). Thank you all so much for your advice!
    Last edited by modern_muslimah; 08-28-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast