Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Glad you found something that will work for you!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    HP sucks!! I have spent 6 hours taking all the crap they put on the computer my Dad bought. It's slow as heck. I am also for Sony Viaos. I just bought my 2nd one and it's great! I bought an open box one. I got it for close to 400.00 off and I bought the extended warrenty for 2 years.
    Acers are good computers. They don't cost much and many people don't know this but they are the #1 computer in sales. I've seen them for as little as 350. If I were you I would buy a Viao for at home and buy a netbook for school.

vCash
    Um...she already bought one.

All brands have lemons. I have an HP desktop and a laptop and both are fine. I've had a Dell that lasted through 5 years of heavy use. Asus makes good machines; Sony makes good machines. Every once in awhile, someone gets a crappy one. It's that way with all appliances...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Um...she already bought one.

All brands have lemons. I have an HP desktop and a laptop and both are fine. I've had a Dell that lasted through 5 years of heavy use. Asus makes good machines; Sony makes good machines. Every once in awhile, someone gets a crappy one. It's that way with all appliances...
    Agreed. And it's all about what the user needs, too. OP wanted a computer that could handle gaming, not everyone needs that. I've had an HP desktop computer since 2003 and it's still going strong. Other people have had to junk theirs after 2 or 3 years. Laptops may take a worse beating, too. HP printers, OTOH ...

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I just wanted to post an update. I got a HP Pavilion dv7 last night. After I told the salesperson what I use my computer for, he convinced me that the best computer for me would be one that had a dedicated graphics card in addition to having lots of RAM and memory. It's actually a gaming computer. It has a 17 in screen but since the only time I could really see taking my laptop with me is when I travel to visit family, the size seems fine.
    That sounds like my kind of laptop . I would, however, caution you to monitor the temperature of your laptop. Overheating is a problem for all laptops, but especially for gaming laptops, and is the most common reason that laptops die.

I recommend using your laptop on a flat, hard surface only or using a cooling pad. If you are inclined to use your laptop in bed or hold it on your lap or other soft surfaces, you will need to monitor the temp closely. It's also a good idea to clean your fans every now and then, to clear the dust.

This is a good program for monitoring temp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ You can set it to warn you if your computer is overheating and put itself to sleep or shut down if it does.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That sounds like my kind of laptop . I would, however, caution you to monitor the temperature of your laptop. Overheating is a problem for all laptops, but especially for gaming laptops, and is the most common reason that laptops die.

I recommend using your laptop on a flat, hard surface only or using a cooling pad. If you are inclined to use your laptop in bed or hold it on your lap or other soft surfaces, you will need to monitor the temp closely. It's also a good idea to clean your fans every now and then, to clear the dust.

This is a good program for monitoring temp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ You can set it to warn you if your computer is overheating and put itself to sleep or shut down if it does.
    Thanks for the link! I downloaded the program today. I brought a cooling pad yesterday at Target. So far so good.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123