Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 323
  1. #221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    347
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I think Nationals should be in Salinas, CA. I live there, and I would get to sleep in my own bed. Plus, if it were to be announced tomorrow, I could start asking for time off of work, looking at the bus schedule, and book my rental car.
    Of course, if Salinas even had an ice rink... I would have stayed in Monterey, CA. Thanks for the laugh!

  2. #222

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Of course, if Salinas even had an ice rink... I would have stayed in Monterey, CA. Thanks for the laugh!
    Marina used to-- it's where Bryan Wells started his career.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

  3. #223

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I think Nationals should be in Salinas, CA. I live there, and I would get to sleep in my own bed. Plus, if it were to be announced tomorrow, I could start asking for time off of work, looking at the bus schedule, and book my rental car.
    But would you have shuttle?

  4. #224

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think they are aiming for the first "stealth" Nationals...

    Just think, no fans to put up with, no fans to complain "skater x wuz robbed", no need to deal with shuttles, etc....

    They will of course expect you to pony up BIG bucks for tickets to "stealth" then you guess where they are and head there. If you pick right it's an exclusive event. If you pick wrong your ticket is a great collectible

    LOL!

  5. #225
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    vimeo.com/98880255
    Posts
    13,382
    vCash
    925000
    Rep Power
    84463

  6. #226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    practising choreo
    Posts
    928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think US Nationals should be held in Vancouver, BC.
    Hear, hear!

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    But would you have shuttle?
    Someone please rep AJ for that.

  7. #227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    51
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    Is Denver a consideration? The last time they hosted a nationals was 1988.
    I think they were initially bidding but are not part of the final selection.

    Two things that could have possibly thrown a wrench into any LOC's bid, were the change of date (which came after the bid deadline if I remember right), and the ability to host juvenile and intermediate events (which weren't even mentioned in the bid proposal I saw online).

  8. #228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    351
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    I think they were initially bidding but are not part of the final selection.

    Two things that could have possibly thrown a wrench into any LOC's bid, were the change of date (which came after the bid deadline if I remember right), and the ability to host juvenile and intermediate events (which weren't even mentioned in the bid proposal I saw online).
    Good point. Obviously, a date change is a huge monkey wrench as many arenas have things going on all the time, but 2013 Omaha was set up for the Jr. Nats from the get go, was it not???? I heard that from Omaha on the two nats would be combined.

  9. #229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    51
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    but 2013 Omaha was set up for the Jr. Nats from the get go, was it not????
    The dropping of the Jr. National event was voted on at last years Governing Council. The change in the event structure wouldn't have taken place until after the bid deadline and (I can't remember the timing), was Omaha already announced by GC last year?

    The bid request for 2014 was interesting, it states only 12 national champions will be crowned and the tentative schedule doesn't give any indication of when or where juvenile and intermediate events/practices would be held. Strange.

  10. #230

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    914
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    The dropping of the Jr. National event was voted on at last years Governing Council. The change in the event structure wouldn't have taken place until after the bid deadline and (I can't remember the timing), was Omaha already announced by GC last year?

    The bid request for 2014 was interesting, it states only 12 national champions will be crowned and the tentative schedule doesn't give any indication of when or where juvenile and intermediate events/practices would be held. Strange.
    According to google 2011 Governing Council opened on 4/27/2011. Selection of Omaha as the host for 2013 Nationals was made on 4/28/2011. In the announcement there was no mention of Jr. Nationals, just the usual 12 champions will be crowned. I didn't look very thoroughly at the Omaha website, but did not see any mention of Jr. Nationals. I do remember reading about the combining of the events here on FSU.

  11. #231

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,550
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    According to google 2011 Governing Council opened on 4/27/2011. Selection of Omaha as the host for 2013 Nationals was made on 4/28/2011. In the announcement there was no mention of Jr. Nationals, just the usual 12 champions will be crowned. I didn't look very thoroughly at the Omaha website, but did not see any mention of Jr. Nationals. I do remember reading about the combining of the events here on FSU.
    Yes, see this post in the 2013 Nationals in Omaha thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=108
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  12. #232
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    82
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, see this post in the 2013 Nationals in Omaha thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=108
    Let me just defend my post in that other thread: That was what they had heard as of then. As of 2013 Nationals meeting a few weeks ago that my mom attended (as you may know, she was president of the largest skating club in Omaha for 2 years (up until last week, when they had club board elections, and she decided not to run for president this year) and she's on the Omaha committee for helping plan Nationals), they have absolutely no clue what they're doing with Jr. Nationals. USFSA seems totally unorganized and unsure what they're doing with it, as it's a year after the announcement and there are no definite plans for where it'll be. I've heard rumors of Jr Nationals being at the Civic Auditorium, which is like 10 min walking distance from the Century Link, but I've heard rumors that the Civic is being torn down in October. I've heard rumors that Jr Nationals are going to be at the Century Link as well as regular Nationals. I've heard the rumor that they'll be at the new ice rink 15-20 min from downtown that's scheduled to open in October with seating for 5000. I've heard that they're going to be at the rink with two surfaces that's 30 min away from the Century Link, but that rumor was proved false quickly. I've also heard most often that USFSA is going to wing it and make plans for it the night before the events start. So basically, as of now, no one knows what they're going to do with Jr Nationals.

  13. #233
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,765
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    0
    The Civic Center still has events on it's November 29, 2012 calendar. I know that the Creighton Women's Basketball games are now in the D.J. Sokol center (they previously played at the Civic Center, is that the new arena on Creighton campus?) And I suspect the ice arena that you are talking about that would be 20 minutes away will be the new home of the Lancers hockey team, since it is or was rumored that the Lancers would be moving from Council Bluffs MAC to Ralston/Papillion? And possible Mavericks hockey? Or is that the one that the rumors proved untrue.

    It would make sense to me that the Century Link Arena would have both the senior competition and the practice ice, since they are currently building the Olympic Trials Competition and Practice Pools for that arena, which indicates to me that there is enough space that they could feasibly do both. But of course that is my speculation.

    ETA: I apologize to those who thought an announcement was pending.
    Last edited by numbers123; 05-23-2012 at 09:04 PM.

  14. #234

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    The Civic Center still has events on it's November 29, 2012 calendar. I know that the Creighton Women's Basketball games are now in the D.J. Sokol center (they previously played at the Civic Center, is that the new arena on Creighton campus?) And I suspect the ice arena that you are talking about that would be 20 minutes away will be the new home of the Lancers hockey team, since it is or was rumored that the Lancers would be moving from Council Bluffs MAC to Ralston/Papillion? And possible Mavericks hockey?

    It would make sense to me that the Century Link Arena would have both the senior competition and the practice ice, since they are currently building the Olympic Trials Competition and Practice Pools for that arena, which indicates to me that there is enough space that they could feasibly do both. But of course that is my speculation.

    ETA: I apologize to those who thought an announcement was pending.
    Me too!

    But wait, your post pertains to 2013 Nationals, right?

  15. #235

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,550
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    But wait, your post pertains to 2013 Nationals, right?
    Yes. I've reposted the relevant info above in the 2013 US Nationals in Omaha:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...22#post3576722

    This Greensboro article today confirms that Greensboro, NC, Boston and St. Paul are the 3 finalists to host 2014 Nationals: http://www.news-record.com/content/2..._championships
    “My understanding is it’s down to three sites: Boston, St. Paul (Minn.) and us,” said Kim Strable, president of the Greensboro Sports Commission. “Getting this far and being on the short list is good.”

    There’s no guarantee. Officials from U.S. Figure Skating are making their final visits in the coming weeks and a decision likely be made some time in June, Carrow said.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-25-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  16. #236
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    328
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I will be miserable if Nationals is in Greensboro again. I thought no experience could be worse than Dallas Nationals, but I hated Greensboro. I feel like there was nothing near by and outside my host hotel window was about five bail bonds places and a possible strip club. Minnesota was an okay experience, but I vote for Boston.

  17. #237
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    I will be miserable if Nationals is in Greensboro again. I thought no experience could be worse than Dallas Nationals, but I hated Greensboro. I feel like there was nothing near by and outside my host hotel window was about five bail bonds places and a possible strip club. Minnesota was an okay experience, but I vote for Boston.
    I have to agree. While the people were really nice, Greensboro offered nothing for us to do and the only place close by that we could get food was a mall food court. St. Paul and Boston would both be great -they are easy to fly into (unlike Greensboro) and they have a vibrant night life and restaurants galore.

  18. #238
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32889
    I loved Greensboro.

  19. #239

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,691
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I loved Greensboro.
    ditto.

    (I'm sure living an hour away has nothing to do with it. )

  20. #240

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,862
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    I liked Greensboro too.

    There was an awesome Vietnamese restaurant, and a really good Mexican restaurant, and a really good breakfast spot. And our hotel was reasonably priced, something you won't be getting in Boston. And the ice quality was amazingly good, considering.

    And the people were really nice.

    I think you need a car; that makes all the difference.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •