Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

"So You Think You Can Judge" Aug. 4th Scarboro FSC show in Thornhill, ON

Scarboro FSC's show is taking place tonight -- Thursday, August 4 from 7-9 pm -- at the Thornhill Community Centre in Thornhill, Ontario -- event info: http://www.sfsc.on.ca/so_you_think_you_can_judge

Kharis Ralph & Asher Hill and Andrei Rogozine are advertised, and I believe the new Canadian dance team of Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier may have their public performance debut here.

Looking forward to reports from FSUers who are attending!

living every minute
    vCash
    I went, I saw, I judged.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    I went, I saw, I judged.
    How was it? Did Poirier and Gilles skate?

living every minute
    vCash
    There were some adorable pre-novice and juvenile ladies doing their solos. Some of them could even perform some clean jumps.

Mostly dancers who did either SD or FD. Some very young ones who were just cute and some very promising Junior teams too.

Rachel Kirkland has moved to Dance since splitting with Eric Radford in Pairs and is doing very well with a new partnership with Chris Lettner. Her experience in performing and ease on the ice makes a strong impression and he is right there with her. They are very well-matched and look promising.

A team that was not in the program was Elena Tadero, skating with Arseny Markov. (Not sure of the spelling of her name; he skated with Chantal Lefebvre to 2 Canadian bronze medals.) He has been coaching with Chantal (now his ex-wife) in Montreal. Not sure if this very strong performance was an exhibition or what. But the quality was obvious.

No Andrei Rogozine here - I think he was up in Mariposa tonight.

living every minute
    vCash
    There were some interesting entries to twizzles tonight: from a jump, in a circle, straight leg was popular. Also some new lifts and balances done by amazingly young skaters.

Dmitre Razgulajevs (son of Juris?) and partner Katie Desveaux did a really cute routin to Crazy Clowns.

Kharis Ralph and Asher Hill did both of their new programs: SD Latin Combo is obviously newer and had some glitches but this is VERY promising and difficult. The FD is "Walking Life Tango" and this has some VERY interesting choreo. It's also difficult and a work in progress. But they both show crispness and great attitude. He is just getting better and better.

living every minute
    vCash
    Oh yes, someone named Poirier came along and skated with a very pretty young blonde lady. Only noted in the program as "Be surprised by a mystery performance".

And I have to say that this new team is the real deal ! ! ! ! Already. WOW. Be prepared to be amazed. They were announced as being "in the 3rd week of their partnership". But it was far better than that. Their leg lines match as though they have been skating together for a long time. They look great together and they have speed and power and already are doing some pretty amazing elements. I couldn't tell you the music or even what kind it was, but they really dazzle!

It's a completely different vibe for this pair than with Vanessa. I enjoyed so many programs that C & P did and will miss that dynamic. But I think this one can really move quickly and make a big impression. She kind of matches him in pizzazz (sp?) and perhaps makes him look even stronger than before, while being able to keep up with him both physically and in presence.

pingu and I went lobby-chicking and were able to speak with them after. We heard Paul say to someone else that they would likely skate at Challenges (in December) and maybe Canadians. Then we were able to chat for just a minute and tell them how much we enjoyed it and how well they seemed to suit each other. Both seemed pleased to hear about the good impression. We did say "welcome to Canada" to Piper Gilles who has a wonderful smile, and wished them much success.

A great debut!

vCash
    ^
    Thanks for the reports. Unfortunately I couldn't make it out there tonight. Sounds like it was an evening well spent!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Gilles/Poirier team at Nationals, and Ralph/Hill's new programs on the GP.

vCash
    A team that was not in the program was Elena Tadero, skating with Arseny Markov. (Not sure of the spelling of her name; he skated with Chantal Lefebvre to 2 Canadian bronze medals.) He has been coaching with Chantal (now his ex-wife) in Montreal. Not sure if this very strong performance was an exhibition or what. But the quality was obvious.
    The girl is Milena Todaro, who used to skate with Anthony Evans, but has been out of competitive skating for a few years (she has been coaching). Todaro & Markov have been training for a competitive comeback. Thanks for your impressions, I am curious to see them!

vCash
    Thanks for the review.

I can't wait to seeing Gilles/Poirier.

vCash
    Thank you for the review! I'm so glad to hear that Gilles/Poirier skated well.

living every minute
    vCash
    Thank you for the spelling of Milena Todaro. They weren't listed so I had to guess from what someone in front of us said. They had to withdraw from Minto last week because of some paperwork issue, according to Sylvia.

They looked strong and dramatic and obviously very senior in level. Going to be an interesting year.

vCash
    Thanks for the report, Mevrouw! I'm intrigued to see Ralph/Hill's new programs; I thought last year's FD was particularly interesting, so their take on these styles should be fun to see.

Can you describe Gilles/Poirier's program a bit?

living every minute
    vCash
    It's more 'flashy' than Paul's previous programs with Vanessa. Certainly suits Piper's look and style well and brings out a new side of Paul. I'm definitely in no teknik so can't help there but it was impressive and didn't look like something 3 weeks old.

vCash
    Happy to hear positive reports about Poirier/Gilles!

vCash
    Wow, that was a short-lived marriage.

How old would Markov be now? Are they being coached by Lane & Razgulievs?

living every minute
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Wow, that was a short-lived marriage.

How old would Markov be now? Are they being coached by Lane & Razgulievs?
    Quoting Wikipedia: married 2007, divorced last Jan. Born 1981

No info on coaches as they weren't in the program and withdrew from Minto so it's not there. I'd guess yes, but he's been coaching in Montreal and she's from there.

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash

vCash
    Very,very glad to see Kharis and Asher make a departure from African themes. And great to hear they've stepped up their dance training. Tango is a toughie, so I hope they can grow into it. Some couples just seem to take to it naturally ( e.g... V/M , P/I ) and others struggle with the feel of it ,even at the highest levels (D/W). There are some nice touches in the choreo shown here , here's hoping they can really make it a tango .

living every minute
    vCash
    Forgot to mention that the program for this evening was just a typed sheet but attached to it were 3 more sheets with a space for each pair or solo skater where the audience was asked to give feedback. I am sure that the comments will be checked before passing the content on, especially for the little ones, but it was an interesting way to find out what the audience members thought. Many were skater parents and siblings and other skaters, but some were clearly judges who were sitting in a special area. Of course we sat right behind them but weren't able to see what was being written. (Must take binoculars next time.)

vCash
    Yesterday evening I posted this comment about Gilles/Poirier in the secret sources, so I think it's more fair if I re-post it here:

They were skating the SD on "Put it in a love song": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8BNdqWcq1g

They looked very good to me, hips quite close and the leg lines were matching. She has a very good posture and beautiful arms, and, as Mevrouw said, she underlines his qualities...makes him shine more...don't know how to explain that better now, sorry!!
    I think they suit each other
    They're doing a cool lift at the end (of curse I don't remember it), that ends with her crouched aroud his legs. Uhm maybe Mevrouw can explain that better. I think it' a rotational lift, and at the end you expect a dismount, intstead she slides a little bit from his trunk and grabs his legs (that are a little wide apart, otherwise she would fall). And that's the final pose. Explained from me it doesn't seem cool at all, but it is...or al least is was for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast