Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash

How Do You Parents Do It?

This is just a "hats off" to you parents! I just spent less than 2 days with my niece (7 years old) and nephew (4 1/2 years old), and I am exhausted!!!!!! I get 2 days off and then they will be back, this time with my other niece (9) and nephew (12). They are totally sweet, spirited but not overly rambunctious or misbehaving (well, boy gets cranky, but he's 4), only loud sometimes (not all the time), not grabby at all, and they don't argue about going to bed. And they like to read!!! So these ones are pretty darn easy, and I am still exhausted!!!!! Just a shout out to those of you who do this full time!!!!!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Thanks! Just remember, most of us get broken in gradually - one at a time, you get them when they are really small and can't run around. There is also all the newness of staying with Aunt Rob and probably wanting to do stuff with you. I've been know to tell my kids to "go away" when I'm tired. They know that means it is time to make themselves scarce and stay out of trouble - mommy's had enough.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    There is also all the newness of staying with Aunt Rob and probably wanting to do stuff with you.
    Well, the girl can actually sing (seriously good voice even with no training) so she sings songs for us quite a bit. And the boy loves to play his kiddie bongo drums which his parents would not let him bring (thank you, thank you) so his chosen substitute for his bongo drums seems to be my butt. I have to watch out behind me.

vCash
    I always admired the energy parents had, and then I realized I had extra energy too, when I was looking after my parents. I came to the conclusion you have it when you really need it. But I still admire what parents do. My cats don't require anywhere near as much attention.

vCash
    Thanks! My husband and I have a 17 year-old and a 7 year-old. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

vCash
    As mag said most of us get "broken in" or eased into it. All ages require energy - just at different levels. And when you are being Aunt or Uncle the kids start out on best behavior because they like you But I also think that the experience gives you a look into the window to see what it is like to have children.
    Thanks for complimenting us parents about something that is not often understood by those without children.

vCash
    I admire parents too. Time with kids can be wonderful, but it also can be intense.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I have a one year old and I'm just now getting this thing down. It's sure not easy.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Oh boy, Rob, you too? I have 3.5 and a 1 year old grandsons, and both are a handful separately much less together! The older one is a perpetual motion machine. The younger will not sleep unless he is being held (during the day.) I am going to take care of them (Granny Camp!) in mid-September. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! I've done this before, but not when both were walking/running. At least the oldest is practically toilet trained. I hope.

But enjoy-there's nothing as wonderful as these little ones. I treasure them through the backaches and frayed nerves. And getting squirted by the backyard hose.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I take care of my 88 year old mother, and sometimes I would swear she's 4, but most of the time I don't have to tell her to move the rocking chair before it starts banging into a a sliding glass door or watch her try to do a cartwheel 50 times in a row or listen to her sing Miley Cyrus songs over and over and over....... I need a nap.

I am looking forward to having the 9 year old and the 12 year old along for the ride. They are very responsible kids and very active so they will play chase with the younger ones for me. I can just stay alert and make sure no-one falls off a cliff.

vCash
    In my experience, 9- and 12-year-olds are more apt to tease 7- and 4.5-year-olds than they are to play with them.

vCash
    Holley - my grandchildren are both under 2 and I watch them every week (various days). What I did that makes it more manageable is to have one or two rooms that I have them in. Of course it means that I am also restricted to those rooms, but it makes life simpler. I know that they can only go so far, all the toys are in those 2 rooms. I have a designated floor pad to change diapers, as lifting is too much for me. I try to make their meals ahead of the day - that way they are ready to go when they become hungry and there is little to no waiting time for them to cook.
    Dole and Walmart have individual squeezable applesauce packages - fun snack and not so messy. I plan some outdoor time, but at times need both grandparents to manage that - particularly if they want to play in the front yard. (I do have a double stroller, but when it is hot out, that is too hot to ride in.) The indoor malls generally have a play yard, but again might take 2 grandparents to manage.
    I have a few more ideas if you need them.

vCash
    Hee!! I'm in awe of anyone who has more than 1 kid--that one nearly killed both me and dh!! Lot of adjustment. And I have friends with 4 and 5 kids who just take everything in stride and it just amazes me. Along with the "broken in gradually" theory already posited, I think there are some people who just have a knack for living with the craziness. Not so much here! We love our one dearly but alas, she'll be an only child.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    In my experience, 9- and 12-year-olds are more apt to tease 7- and 4.5-year-olds than they are to play with them.
    That would have been so true of my brother's son at age 12. A real wise guy. These ones are my husband's brothers' kids, and they are so sweet in comparison. The 9 year old is like a little mommy - she totes our godson (my 26 year old nephew's son - he's in Mexico) around like her baby when she's there. Our nieces and nephews range in age from one on the way to 26!

vCash
    Aw blessings to you Rob. As said above - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. At that age, parks with swings and play castles are your best friend! So is feeding ducks, petting zoos, museums, and wading pools. Chuckie Cheese's, McDonald's playlands and the county animal rescue always was a fun field trip for my now TEENAGER!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Holley - my grandchildren are both under 2 and I watch them every week (various days). What I did that makes it more manageable is to have one or two rooms that I have them in. Of course it means that I am also restricted to those rooms, but it makes life simpler. I know that they can only go so far, all the toys are in those 2 rooms. I have a designated floor pad to change diapers, as lifting is too much for me. I try to make their meals ahead of the day - that way they are ready to go when they become hungry and there is little to no waiting time for them to cook.
    Dole and Walmart have individual squeezable applesauce packages - fun snack and not so messy. I plan some outdoor time, but at times need both grandparents to manage that - particularly if they want to play in the front yard. (I do have a double stroller, but when it is hot out, that is too hot to ride in.) The indoor malls generally have a play yard, but again might take 2 grandparents to manage.
    I have a few more ideas if you need them.
    I'm sure I will! In fact, I might keep you on emergency email during Granny Camp. Those were GREAT suggestions, and I really appreciate them. Thanks so much!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    yup at least here in my pad that is the case!!

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Hee!! I'm in awe of anyone who has more than 1 kid--that one nearly killed both me and dh!! Lot of adjustment. And I have friends with 4 and 5 kids who just take everything in stride and it just amazes me. Along with the "broken in gradually" theory already posited, I think there are some people who just have a knack for living with the craziness. Not so much here! We love our one dearly but alas, she'll be an only child.
    yes you do get it gradually BUT it changes all the time!! my three (especially im summer-) keep me hopping-no rest for the wicked!!!

vCash

vCash
    Three months ago today we adopted our son (9 months old at the time) from Thailand. The last three months have been a whirlwind....I'm not sure we got eased in gradually as he was on the move from day one. But he is a darling...we love him to death.

And yes, I have NO IDEA how parents do it who have more than one child.

Kudos to parents!!
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    ^ skategal, congrats! If he is not walking yet, you need a Johnny Jumper and a Exersaucer! Only way I could take a shower (save the travelyard) by myself. (Hubby is a pilot...)
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast