vCash

tips to stop double footing jumps

hi, an one got any tips to stop doublefooting on loop, flip and lutz. jumps fully rotated and go through phases of landing them great for 3 months then having a month of putting left toe down as safety mechanism. dont know why, as can do confidently most of time but seem to take 2 steps forward, then 3 steps back at times!

vCash
    I tell my students to land on one foot or fall but do not put that left foot down! But if you are an adult skater I'd put you on our jump harness and not torture you with the pain reflex!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Skating has a habit of doing that. It makes us think we are achieving great things, then lets us down by making us stuff up those things that we thought we were getting consistent on. It is something that happens to everyone. Don't worry - you will get it back, then lose it, then get it back again.

Sorry if that isn't the help you are looking for, but it is the reality of the sport and happens to everyone.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Skating has a habit of doing that. It makes us think we are achieving great things, then lets us down by making us stuff up those things that we thought we were getting consistent on. It is something that happens to everyone. Don't worry - you will get it back, then lose it, then get it back again.

Sorry if that isn't the help you are looking for, but it is the reality of the sport and happens to everyone.
    Wise words. I have that constant battle with my axel for 15 years.

Doing lots of back spins, concentrating on not dropping the free leg hip might help. Or just being brave and making a deal with your self to either land it or fall.

vCash
    Proof once again that the mind is the biggest battle with most of the thigs we do.

I do exactly the same on loop, flip and lutz. I go through months of getting them - something clicks and they are all fine and then something happens and I go back to my two footing ways. I know it's all psychological and not physical, my coach says everything is just right until the last part of the jump when i put my left tow down too.

vCash
    Do lots of loop-loop combinations. That will remind your body to keep that free hip closed, free arm in front, free thigh lifted and your skating side shoulder checked back. If you find the lutz-loop or flip-loop scary, try doing lutz-toeloop and flip-toeloop, making sure to check your skating side shoulder back and bring your free arm in front for the toeloop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Proof once again that the mind is the biggest battle with most of the thigs we do.

I do exactly the same on loop, flip and lutz. I go through months of getting them - something clicks and they are all fine and then something happens and I go back to my two footing ways. I know it's all psychological and not physical, my coach says everything is just right until the last part of the jump when i put my left tow down too.
    And to put in context, how often do we see with top skaters about them having trouble with certain jumps at certain times. It happens to the best.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Do lots of loop-loop combinations. That will remind your body to keep that free hip closed, free arm in front, free thigh lifted and your skating side shoulder checked back. If you find the lutz-loop or flip-loop scary, try doing lutz-toeloop and flip-toeloop, making sure to check your skating side shoulder back and bring your free arm in front for the toeloop.
    Great tip as always, thank you for sharing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    You are completely right! I when i first started landing the jumps my coach kept having do them in combinations with other things, starting with toe-loops and then moving up to loops and it really helped control the landing and keep the free leg off.

Apparently we both forgot! Thanks!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    If you are scared then wear lots of padding, one on each hip and one on the tailbone.

vCash
    ^ this is good advice, I also recommend soccer knee pads and rollerblade wrist guards for adult skaters.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    thanks for all the advice. i have no prob doing the jumps in combo - i think i am thinking of the second jump and automatically keep on one foot, i will continue to try the combos to try and improve muscle memory! its true as adults we become obssessed with the finer details at times, and should maybe concentrate on keeping it simpler. maybe a gin and tonic might help!