vCash

Care homes for LGBT

I was listening to CBC radio this morning and they were interviewing a health care professional from Toronto. They were discussing the challenges and fears of the LGBT communities if and when they have to go to an extended care facility as they age.

Now, dummy me, thought yeah so everyone gets old. We all face challenges of aging. But as they continued to talk, I realized I didn't have a clue. For instance:

Home care workers coming in and getting rid of clothing. A major stresser for the trans population.

Healthcare issues in administering meds ie estrogen, etc.

Ignorance and intolerance when some care homes are confronted with the challenges of caring for someone *different*. They used the example of a trans who they thought was a woman and found out they were a man. The hoopla, embarrassment that ensued, and the total disregard of privacy of the person.

The health care professional (who's name escapes me) mentioned that they had written a 136 page manual on the how to provide care for an aging LGBT population.

This isn't the manual, but it's one that probably draws from it:

http://www.sherbourne.on.ca/

Needless to say I was appalled - for lack of a better word. I thought I'd share my ignorance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Needless to say I was appalled - for lack of a better word. I thought I'd share my ignorance.
    I think that we all assume that there will be humane and compassionate care for groups of people without understanding their needs. I feel ignorant of the issues.
    Thanks for sharing.