vCash

21-year-old Rapper's Birthday Gift to Himself: $55 Million Jet

This guy had a big hit in 2007 (yes, that was more than three years ago) and AFAIK is certainly not in the same league of rap/hip-hop fame as, say, P. Diddy or Jay-Z. I hope his 22nd birthday surprise isn't a trip to bankruptcy court.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/soulja_bo...lion_on/255268
    Last edited by overedge; 07-30-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I've got two words for him:

Stop! Hammertime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Stop! Hammertime.
    OMG, now I've got the parachute pants in my head! Anyone else remember the show In Living Color's parody of MC Hammer??

vCash
    Yeah, "You can't touch this" was ridiculously catchy, but I'm thinking more in terms of how Hammer proceeded to spend ridiculous amounts of cash afterward on himself and his entourage and wound up going bankrupt. Hey, Soulja Boy....sound the bell, school's in, sucka.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This is how people have millions of dollars one year and are bankrupt the next. Who knows what the pilot will cost.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I'm thinking more in terms of how Hammer proceeded to spend ridiculous amounts of cash afterward on himself and his entourage and wound up going bankrupt.
    Yeah, I remember that too. I'm not too far from the huge house he built in Fremont, CA!

vCash
    I've got two words for him:

Stop! Hammertime.
    Ha! True dat.

vCash
    Our financial adviser is a former pro football player (yes, a few of them are pretty smart) and he told us that within 2 years of retiring from play, 79% of pro football players are bankrupt. Top reasons he gave were 1) agents that keep egging them on to spend and that "another deal is just around the corner", 2) a high rate of divorces right after retiring, and 3) just bad planning/investing.

Banned Member
    vCash
    He probably just put down a $2M payment, and will back out after a few months. I see bankruptcy court in the near future for him. Insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    Our financial adviser is a former pro football player (yes, a few of them are pretty smart) and he told us that within 2 years of retiring from play, 79% of pro football players are bankrupt. Top reasons he gave were 1) agents that keep egging them on to spend and that "another deal is just around the corner", 2) a high rate of divorces right after retiring, and 3) just bad planning/investing.
    They've also gotten used to a lifestyle that's hard to give up. They suddenly go from earning millions a year to not having a paycheck, and it's hard for them to make the corresponding sudden lifestyle change, especially when their social circle (e.g., still-active teammates) continues to live that lifestyle.

vCash
    Not to mention the out of wedlock children many of them have. One former Bills running back has 9 kids with 9 different mothers and couldn't keep up with payments toward the end of his career.

vCash
    Also, a lot of them come from poor families and have a million relatives coming out of the woodwork expecting handouts, and they feel obligated to take care of the whole family. You can only support so many people, even if you are making millions. Plus in the NFL the money is usually not guaranteed so if you get injured you are SOL.

As for the rapper's airplane purchase:
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post

As for the rapper's airplane purchase:
    Parking fees at a small airport aren't so bad. He can live in it if he loses everything else.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    This story is not true, thank goodness: http://blogs.ajc.com/the-buzz/2011/0...xntlid=thbz_hm

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am glad to hear it is not true. First, I don't believe he has that much money. I know he is relatively well known for a song or two but outside the US I don't know that anyone knows who he is. There is just no way he made that kind of money off of his album and single sales, not in this economy and with what record sales have been.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Yes, it's a relief!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode