Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by teaspoon View Post
    That would have made it okay, but what would have really made it better is being honest about G/P's prospects. [snip]

I'm not saying that they have to undermine themselves in an interview, but I'd appreciate if they and/or the author and/or editor didn't deliberately mislead. It makes me wonder what they've told the Ministry of Immigration. I certainly hope they haven't hinted to the Minister that they're a medal prospect for Sochi, as proclaimed in the editorial.
    And again - an editorial is an opinion piece. It is not a news story. You may not agree with the opinion, but the editorial was clearly positioned as such, not as an objective or impartial news article. The Star is not being "dishonest" by expressing its opinion.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And again - an editorial is an opinion piece. It is not a news story. You may not agree with the opinion, but the editorial was clearly positioned as such, not as an objective or impartial news article. The Star is not being "dishonest" by expressing its opinion.
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree that it's fine for the Star to say that the Minister should grant Piper's application. But "they’ll be denied a chance to try for a medal at the Winter Olympics in Sochi if her Canadian citizenship doesn’t arrive in time" is not an opinion, it's a statement of presumed fact upon which that opinion is based.

Watch me move
    vCash
    That statement is clearly positioned under a heading saying Opinion/Editorial, so I doubt that it is going to be interpreted as a "statement of presumed fact".
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    It certainly leads the non skating fans to think G/P are the cat's meow and in medal contention.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I have to disagree with you. Rosie DiManno aside, the Star is a very professional newspaper with a strong reputation.
    They surely didn't show it by editorializing that the only thing between G/P and Sochi was a passport, when 2014 Canadian Nationals hadn't happened yet, as if ice weren't slippery, and, worse, that they were in the running for a medal, when they are unlikely participants for the team event if W/P and V/M are healthy. Technically, anyone who enters is in the running for a medal, but that's saying Shtork/Rand were in the running for a medal in Vancouver.

However, saying G/P are the frontrunner for a spot at Sochi would have been the truth and would have shown some understanding by whoever wrote the editorial. They only have one year of international competition under their belts, but they've beaten:
    Paul/Islam at USFSC by 3+ points
    Orford/Williams at Four Continents by 18+ points
    Ralph/Hill at Skate Canada by 10+ points
    Ralph/Hill at 2012 Canadian Nationals by 16+ points (and P/I, O/W)
    Orford/Williams at 2013 Canadian Nationals by 18+ points (and P/I, R/H)

By contrast in the Olympic cycle leading up to Vancouver, Weaver/Poje had whooped Crone/Poirier at 2007 Junior Worlds and beat C/P at 2008 Canadian Nationals by 2+ points, C/P's first year as seniors, but Crone/Poirier beat W/P at 2009 Canadian Nationals by 5+ points and 2009 4C's by 8+ points. While that by no means guaranteed C/P a spot in Vancouver, and W/P came within .31 of beating them, on paper, C/P had a stronger record in the 2009 season leading into Vancouver. When the Canadian government was making the decision to expedite Weaver's citizenship, her record was comparatively weaker to Gilles'. It wasn't until the next Olympic cycle that W/P surpassed C/P.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Gee ... a seemingly normal newspaper report can create so much
    Many countries do fast track citizenships for sports people.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Given how Gilles & Poirier have been scored at home, I think that plays a part in how people see them "earning" their spot. It is framed as if the spot will be handed to them with a passport, and the competition at Canadians only a formality. That's different than Weaver & Poje, who actually did have to compete (and didn't succeed).
    Oh, there was QUITE a bit of PR after Kaitlyn got her citizenship, about how she was an Olympic hopeful and came to Canada to reach her dreams. The articles were worded as if getting her citizenship meant she was a lock for the team. Piper is an Olympic hopeful who is getting some press, and may or may not make the team, so there's not much difference between Kaitlyn's and Piper's situations.

vCash
    I think the question is how much media was there BEFORE Kaitlyn got her citizenship, attempting to help her get it in under two years? Was there an attempt to publicly influence the process going on, on the front pages of major newspapers? If so, how come she ended up waiting three years?

I don't see the relevant comparison also because she took an entire year longer to get citizenship than is being requested for Piper. I bet chances are good Piper will get hers in 3 years or a little over, just like Kaitlyn. And when she's a citizen then, people can speculate about her chances for the 2018 Olympic team, just as they did Kaitlyn's for 2010.

vCash
    Piper's citizenship situation isn't exactly the same as Kaitlyn's. Since Piper's Mom is (now) a Canadian citizen, Piper would be entitled to claim Canadian citizenship even she weren't an Olympic hopeful. That's why it hasn't taken as long for her for Kaitlyn who, in theory, had to meet a minimum residency requirement. There's no question as to whether Piper should or should not be granted citizenship on the merits of her skating or Olympic potential; it seems to me like they're just trying to speed up the bureaucracy.

I'm not at all convinced that this article is evidence of any kind of Konspiracy or special treatment. More likely, it's the sign of a slow news week.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The 2009 law that granted automatic reinstatement of citizenship doesn't apply to second-generation children born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, which Gilles became after her mother got citizenship, but it's unclear whether this means Gilles has to go through a process different from Weaver to get citizenship -- reinstating citizenship for someone who relinquished it requires only one year of residency, not three, for example -- and this process is taking too long, or if she discovered she has to go through the same process Weaver did with the same residency requirements.

Do W/P live in Canada and commute to the US to train?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Quadless
    vCash
    Perhaps Canadians would like to borrow this:

"I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The 2009 law that granted automatic reinstatement of citizenship doesn't apply to second-generation children born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, which Gilles became after her mother got citizenship, but it's unclear whether this means Gilles has to go through a process different from Weaver to get citizenship -- reinstating citizenship for someone who relinquished it requires only one year of residency, not three, for example -- and this process is taking too long, or if she discovered she has to go through the same process Weaver did with the same residency requirements.

Do W/P live in Canada and commute to the US to train?
    My understanding is that a natural born Canadian citizen (Piper's GRANDMOTHER) can get citizenship through an expedited procedure for their children (Piper's MOTHER,) but this does not extend to the next generation. Piper has no more claim on Canadian citizenship than anyone else born in the US to American parents (which it is where her mother and father were born and are citizens.) If Piper had been born after April 17, 2009 and her mother was a naturalized citizen at the time of her birth, she would then have a claim on citizenship.

Piper needs to have been a permanent resident for 3 years (1095 days) of the past 4 years. The less than three years rule is if your parent is Canadian and is applying on behalf of a child that is under 18 years old.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen....asp?q=355&t=5
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Actually, by the normal process, Gilles needs to be a permanent resident and *physically resident* in Canada for three of the last four years to be eligible to apply for citizenship, which then takes 18-24 months to process, according to the CIC website. Plus you can't meet the requirements, apply for citizenship, and leave: you have to maintain those days through the application process.

To maintain permanent residency status, a person needs to be physically resident in Canada for two out of every rolling five years, unless the person is working outside Canada for a Canadian company or living outside Canada with a Canadian spouse, in which case those days outside Canada count towards maintaining status. Those exceptions don't apply for citizenship.

There is also a provision to count .5 of the days spent in Canada while under certain visas until Permanent Residency is granted, but I'm not sure if those count towards citizenship or towards permanent residency only.

vCash
    Huh. I thought the whole point of Piper's Mom getting her citizenship was so that Piper could then claim citizenship as well; if that weren't the case, then what was the point of Mrs. Gilles becoming a Canadian?

vCash
    If judging actually reflected the skill of the weaker team member, as it is supposed to, this team would have marks indicative of their actual level. Perhaps, this would dull the sense of entitlement to a Canadian citizenship and a berth to the Olympics.

Huge horseshoes........

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    It makes good sense for them to pursue citizenship for Piper since they have a very good chance based on their abilities of making the Olympic team. They aren't equal to the best teams in the world, but they are very much competitive for that third Canadian spot.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by intentions View Post
    If judging actually reflected the skill of the weaker team member, as it is supposed to, this team would have marks indicative of their actual level. Perhaps, this would dull the sense of entitlement to a Canadian citizenship and a berth to the Olympics.

Huge horseshoes........
    What "sense of entitlement"? They want to go to the Olympics and are trying to get the citizenship to be able to do that. That's no different than any other team or individual skater wanting to have whatever they need to be able to compete.

vCash
    What "sense of entitlement"? They want to go to the Olympics and are trying to get the citizenship to be able to do that. That's no different than any other team or individual skater wanting to have whatever they need to be able to compete.
    Fair enough, other than needing preferential treatment to get there.

Watch me move
    vCash
    As far as I can tell from the article, they are using all the legal possibilities that are available to them. I don't see how that is "preferential treatment".

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Perhaps Canadians would like to borrow this:

That only works if we find out that one of the parents of the other contenders launches a counteroffensive.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast