Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I watched some videos of C/P not long ago and he was always barking at Vanessa before they performed, I wonder how it was outside of competitions...
    They could have been fine with each other. Some teams are horrible to each other at competitions, but they understand that's because it's how they act in that situation. When it becomes a problem IME is when one gets tired of being treated that way and the other doesn't respect that and change their behaviour. (I'm not saying this is what happened with C/P because I have absolutely no information on that particular situation - just saying that this is what I've seen happen with other teams.)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Not necessarily, Paul tends to blame himself for things, not other people. I think that Piper was the chosen partner to a large extent because she managed to relieve his stress somehow. I watched some videos of C/P not long ago and he was always barking at Vanessa before they performed, I wonder how it was outside of competitions... I've had my doubts that Piper will be Paul's last partner since TEB, only time will tell.
    Didn't Vanessa say in a recent interview that the split was sudden and that she was so upset she didn't leave her house for 8 weeks? That doesn't sound to me like a healthy partnership. I saw them at Skate Canada their last season and didn't notice any difficulties, but it was hard not to notice that Vanessa had become quite thin. Also, tension between Weaver/Poje and C/P during the pre-Olympics Canadians and the year latter won their title came through loud and clear in the tv coverage. If the elite figure skating crowd made it clear they preferred W&P, that'd certainly contribute to stress, for both C&P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Didn't Vanessa say in a recent interview that the split was sudden and that she was so upset she didn't leave her house for 8 weeks?
    If this is the interview you're thinking of, she said she didn't leave her house *and* "tie on her skates" for 8 weeks. So it sounds more like she didn't skate for 8 weeks, not that she refused to go out.
    http://torontoobserver.ca/2012/11/02...a-new-partner/
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Really hoping and wishing that Paul makes a speedy and complete recovery and comes back to the ice with a vengeance. I've always LOVED his skating! Good luck, Paul!

vCash
    Toronto Star article (July 19) titled "Ice dancer Piper Gilles pushing for citizenship exemption": http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateu...exemption.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    The headline on the front page of The Star reads "Only one thing standing between skaters and the 2014 Olympics-a passport"
    I find it presumptuous and a bit insulting to the bronze medallists, Orford and Williams. G/P do actually have to qualify before they go to Socchi. This team hasnt been around for that long but I feel like they are always in my face telling me how fabulous they are. I don't get that vibe from any other singles skater or team. I would rather see it on the ice than in a marketing campaign. Give it a rest.
    The comments included at the bottom of the newspaper article seem to concur.

vCash
    I wonder if Paul would have chosen Piper to skate with, knowing she wouldn't be granted second-generation Canadian citizenship? Surely that was a big contributing factor in his decision...

Also, wonder what this means for Alexe's career... If she can't get Canadian citizenship easily, I'm guessing she may be done soon.

I like Piper and Paul, and know their skate at Worlds was a bit of a fluke, but they likely would not have finished much higher regardless, and certainly are no where near the level of Vanessa and Paul... I don't know if they really deserve fast-tracking when born-and-raised Canadians Paul and Islam are pretty much at the same level, as are Orford and Williams, and heck, even Ralph and Hill on a good day... In other words, since Canada isn't exactly lacking in talented Canadian ice dancers who trained their whole lives in Canada to make it to the top, is there a dire need for Piper to get her citizenship, other than for Paul's sake?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "For Paul's sake" seems to be pretty compelling to Skate Canada. As a result, Gilles/Poirier have a decent chance of making the Olympic team. Alexe Gilles' chance of making the Olympic team is much smaller.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    Since Canada isn't exactly lacking in talented Canadian ice dancers who trained their whole lives in Canada to make it to the top, is there a dire need for Piper to get her citizenship, other than for Paul's sake?
    Well, to be fair, Kaitlyn Weaver got her citizenship in similar circumstances in 2009 and one could argue that there was even less of a case for Weaver since Crone & Poirier had beaten Weaver & Poje a couple of times in 2009 whereas none of the teams you've mentioned have beaten Gilles & Poirier. I'm a bit lukewarm toward Gilles & Poirier (whereas I'm a huge fan of Weaver & Poje) but it does seem a bit unfair for Weaver to get her citizenship in 2009 and not Gilles now.

vCash
    I believe Kaitlyn Weaver waited three years and didn't make her case in the press. Nobody disputes Piper Gilles' application, just fast tracking it. As others have said, the angle of this story is presumptuous and quite insulting to other dance teams. There is no compelling reason for her passport to be ready for for Sochi. Canada is in good shape without them. The exception states, I think, unusual hardship, or to reward exceptional service. At the moment I don't see how she meets the criteria for the exception.

"For Paul's sake". He had a Canadian partner with whom he was National Champion and with whom he went to the Olympics in 2010. Nobody disputes his right to change partners if that's what he decides he needs. But, that decision isn't something that should burden Canadian immigration or permit Piper to jump the queue. If Sochi is so important, stick it out with the Canadian partner, and then, after actually qualifying at Nationals, perhaps you'll go to Sochi. It's an athletic partnership not marriage. Otherwise, wait your turn.
    Last edited by Subway; 07-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    I applied for Canadian residency/citizenship and it took a long time, but I don't see a problem with expediting the process for Olympic athletes. Their careers are short; mine will be long and painful. That is what other countries do. Russia or France can expedite a passport for Anissina or Volosozhar in no time. It is so obvious that Poirier is an unbelievable talent. The first time I saw him, I thought he had potential world champion written all over him.

vCash
    I read the article as well and my first thought was how presumptuous it sounded that Piper and Paul will be on the Canadian Olympic team. Canada is lucky to have many strong ice dance teams who could qualify for the Olympic team. Alex Paul and Mitch Islam had some bad luck over the last couple of years and I think if they could have a good season they would be just as good if not better than Piper and Paul. Also, Orford and Williams, and Ralph and Hill have the potential. I look forward to seeing all these teams new programs for the Olympic year, and hope Canada sends their best based on who truly deserves it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I applied for Canadian residency/citizenship and it took a long time, but I don't see a problem with expediting the process for Olympic athletes. Their careers are short; mine will be long and painful. That is what other countries do. Russia or France can expedite a passport for Anissina or Volosozhar in no time. It is so obvious that Poirier is an unbelievable talent. The first time I saw him, I thought he had potential world champion written all over him.
    Yes and lucky for Paul he already has Canadian citizenship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Yes and lucky for Paul he already has Canadian citizenship
    Yes it is. It is not as though they all wouldn't have known that her citizenship could be an issue. I see it as a case of poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine kind of thing. Canada has lots of fabulous ice dancers and lots of female ice dancers who are looking for partners. Probably a lot more in the last few years than when Poje was looking. Paul made a choice to partner up with someone who does not have Canadian citizenship. Clearly he is free to partner up with whomever he likes, but there are consequences to all decisions. If Piper can get citizenship via the normal channels and time frame, so be it, and best of luck to all at Nationals. I feel quite strongly, however, that she shouldn't be allowed to jump the line when bronze medalists Orford and Williams, along with Paul and Islam, are ready and able to compete for Canada. It is not as though Piper and Paul are going to get anywhere near the podium, in fact, I don't think they would finish any higher than Orford and Williams.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Shouldn't expedited citizenship be for athletes of exceptional ability? Paul may have exceptional ability, but Piper---not so much.

vCash
    Russia or France can expedite a passport for Anissina or Volosozhar in no time. It is so obvious that Poirier is an unbelievable talent. The first time I saw him, I thought he had potential world champion written all over him.
    I think what's relevant is Piper isn't Anissina or Volosozhar. Tessa Virtue holds that spot for Canada; Kaitlyn Weaver next. Both women with their partners rank far above Gilles & Poirier, who are one among a number of promising lower ranked teams.

Sochi alone seems to be the impetus here, and on that basis, this rush is unseemly at best and bizarrely presumptuous and entitled at worst, at least in how they are making the case so far.

Her citizenship status isn't impeding their career. They compete on the Grand Prix, at Canadians, at Senior Bs, and, last year, at Worlds. They're not sitting on the sidelines.

ETA, it could be argued that granting Gilles express track citizenship would impede the career of home grown athlete Alexandra Paul. Or validate Poirier's decision to dump Canadian Olympian Vanessa Crone, by any measure a more accomplished ice dancer than Gilles.

I'm not editing to be bitchy. Just point out that letting Gilles jump the queue damages actual Canadian skaters every bit as capable as she is, and in Crone's case, more so.

This is about Sochi. Most of the skaters who are rushed through the citizenship process are the top skaters for their country. Tanith Belbin was a silver medalist at Worlds when she had her process. She and Agosto were the USA's top - only, to be honest - medal prospect in dance. Volosozhar and Trankov would, arguably (and have) transform Russia's prospects in pairs. Same with Anassina and Peizerat for France (in dance).

Canadians Virtue & Moir and Weaver & Poje are the relevant ice dance teams for Sochi. Any one of a number of other dance teams can fill the third slot, to be determined at the Canadian championships. Paul's a good ice dancer, but he's not essential to Canada in Sochi. Citizenship for Piper would in essence be a favor to Piper, but the "rules" require more. He can become World Champion, if eligible to compete, in 2014 with Piper if they're good enough. No citizenship issues will prevent it.
    Last edited by Subway; 07-23-2013 at 01:45 AM.

vCash
    this is a moot point ATM - paul is still off of the ice recovering from his ankle injury. we have no idea what type of shape he'll be in to even contest an olympic spot.

vCash
    Seems like Piper counted her chickens before they hatched when she made the move to skate for Canada. This isn't a case like with Tanith Belbin when she got fast tracked to get her citizenship. Tanith had been living in the US since 1998 and earned her citizenship it would have been unfair for her to miss yet another Olympics when she had been living here for almost 8 years so she deserved a break as far as i'm concerned.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    I think what's relevant is Piper isn't Anissina or Volosozhar. Tessa Virtue holds that spot for Canada; Kaitlyn Weaver next. Both women with their partners rank far above Gilles & Poirier, who are one among a number of promising lower ranked teams.
    THIS. There are at least 3 other teams that should be in contention for that third spot.

This is about Sochi. Most of the skaters who are rushed through the citizenship process are the top skaters for their country. Tanith Belbin was a silver medalist at Worlds when she had her process. She and Agosto were the USA's top - only, to be honest - medal prospect in dance. Volosozhar and Trankov would, arguably (and have) transform Russia's prospects in pairs. Same with Anassina and Peizerat for France.
    Right. It's also worth noting that B/A did qualify to go to SLC in 2002 due to their placement at US Nationals, but they had to sit it out because Tanith wasn't a citizen yet. Tanith's citizenship didn't get fast tracked for those games because there were other capable US teams at the time who would be placing just as high if not higher.

The impetus for speeding up citizenship seems to hinge on providing an exceptional service or skill to Canada. When it comes to ice dance, there is no one in the world who can provide service and skill in ice dance above what homegrown Canadians V/M can. Paul made a personal choice when he split from his Canadian partner to skate with an American. Choices have consequences. In this case, that consequence is no Sochi games.

vCash

Cool

I truly in my heart hope that Paul gets to skate in the Sochi Olympics. She and Islam are my 3rd fave Canadian team by far

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast