Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks for the link with the closer view (audio didn't work for me tho' -- it was very muffled). I did hear the music faintly, and it does seem to work well with their choreo. ITA that Piper and Paul display excitement and exuberance, and their chemistry is palpable.

vCash
    It's a nice program (was Dean involved in choreographing it, it's very much his style) but the difference in skill level between of them is unfortunately still very much apparent.

I see a lot of potential though, if they can get it more polished.

vCash
    According to this, Dean added some finishing touches but it was mostly the work of Lane and Razguljaevs.

vCash
    I was at Thornhill, and I enjoyed both G/P and P/I. IMO both teams skated the elements well, however P/I still are slower across the ice and you can hear the scratchiness that exists at times. Also their lifts were not as spectacular as G/P IMO. I'm choosing to focus on the incredible depth of ice dance in Canada, which I find truly exciting

vCash
    G&P Have a wonderful athleticism. They also have the advantage of being quite young so have time to grow with each other and for Piper to play a bit of catch up.
    I just love the way Paul looks on the ice and their visible energy and connection to each other.

vCash
    Here are a couple photos from Thornhill http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/7820583574/

More to come in a few days

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Here are a couple photos from Thornhill http://www.flickr.com/photos/24291681@N08/7820583574/

More to come in a few days
    Are those your photos? They are great! The one where it looks like Piper is staring right into your eyes is awesome.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Are those your photos? They are great! The one where it looks like Piper is staring right into your eyes is awesome.
    Yep! They sure are!
    It occasionally freaks me out when skaters look right into my camera, but I think this one looks pretty neat! Thank you!

vCash
    Very nice photos indeed, thanks for sharing.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For more reasons than one! You can really see the difference in depth of edge and lean of the leg between the 2.

Thanks for the pics Daniskates92!

vCash
    Yeah I'm no teknik and I admit I noticed it too. Buuut, they have an indescribable likability and I am absolutely looking forward to their performances and career growth. I want them to do well and have a ball out there.

vCash
    I think its their high energy and obvious compatibility. They are so full of life and it shows on the ice.

vCash
    ITA -- G/P have this effervescent quality on and off the ice. Paul never seems to make a wrong move --he's brilliant. And Piper matches him well in many indefinable ways. The greater technical mastery surely will come for Piper with Paul's inestimable influence.

Wow re Paul's lean and edge quality. Does it just take years of practice and off-ice dance training too, or is it an innate quality difficult to master?

vCash
    How could skating skills be innate?

vCash
    Hmmm, to answer my own question I think there are innate and magical qualities that some skaters possess that can't be taught (e.g., MKwan, Yu Na, Jason Brown, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott). I think Paul possesses an innate quality of movement and musicality too, but obviously he and the other skaters mentioned have also benefited from years of training to master the technical skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Hmmm, to answer my own question I think there are innate and magical qualities that some skaters possess that can't be taught (e.g., MKwan, Yu Na, Jason Brown, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott). I think Paul possesses an innate quality of movement and musicality too, but obviously he and the other skaters mentioned have also benefited from years of training to master the technical skills.
    Everything can be taught.

You might be more or less predisposed to certain skills through your body and personality types but whether that potential is fulfilled or not depends on the quality of your coaching and your work ethic.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Hmmm, to answer my own question I think there are innate and magical qualities that some skaters possess that can't be taught (e.g., MKwan, Yu Na, Jason Brown, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott).
    Yeah, like curing hemorrhoids with footwork and air kisses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    For more reasons than one! You can really see the difference in depth of edge and lean of the leg between the 2.

Thanks for the pics Daniskates92!
    That was the first thing I thought of as well. Paul is so much deeper on his edge its crazy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Everything can be taught.

You might be more or less predisposed to certain skills through your body and personality types but whether that potential is fulfilled or not depends on the quality of your coaching and your work ethic.
    While quality coaching and work ethic are definitely necessary, especially to reach the highest levels of the sport, obviously talent must be part of the equation as well. I disagree that "everything can be taught." There are certain ineffable qualities that simply can not be taught. Look back over the history of figure skating. Ask a few coaches.

Ha ha, equatorial. I wouldn't be surprised if footwork and air kisses influence some of the judges and maybe even a few fans. It seems to me that hemorrhoids is a whole 'nother can of worms, or dare I say "pain in the a**." Hey but watching some favorite figure skating tapes might be a panacea for some ailments, or at the least a distraction.

Back to Gilles/Poirier ...

vCash
    While quality coaching and work ethic are definitely necessary, especially to reach the highest levels of the sport, obviously talent must be part of the equation as well.
    Define talent.

I disagree that "everything can be taught." There are certain ineffable qualities that simply can not be taught. Look back over the history of figure skating. Ask a few coaches.
    Which qualities? Which coaches?

P.S. We were talking about basic skating which definitely can be taught and can be improved if you work on it.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast