Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 443
  1. #201
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm assuming Christopher Dean must see a lot of potential in Paul's skating since he has maintained his relationship with him through to a 2nd partnership now.

  2. #202

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    Posts
    1,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2126
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I'm assuming Christopher Dean must see a lot of potential in Paul's skating since he has maintained his relationship with him through to a 2nd partnership now.
    Didn't Christopher Dean also choreograph for Piper Gilles and Tim McKernan and/or Zach Donohue? He definitely did programs for Todd Gilles and Trina Pratt and Summersett/Gilles during those years. Often Tom Dickson would do either the SD and Dean would do the FD (or the reverse) for a lot of the Broadmoor skaters at that time, but I don't know for certain if he ever specifically choreographed for Piper and Tim/Zach - but he definitely worked with a lot of Patti Gottwein's teams.

  3. #203
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,412
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    26080
    I was when "let's begin with a spin" meant that they began with a spin. That's the shit I'm talking about!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  4. #204
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,207
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I was when "let's begin with a spin" meant that they began with a spin. That's the shit I'm talking about!
    At least the judges won't have to think too much about what it's about.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  5. #205
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,175
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    35188
    I didn't know it was Christopher Dean who had choreographed it but now makes complete sense why I loved it Not comparing techniq but pure entertainment/engagement of me as an audience member was top notch.. I have primarily found the top dancers rather boring this season so I found Gilles & Poirier really refreshing
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

  6. #206
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    They look good together and seem to be happy and having fun on the ice. I don't find Piper's height to be that much of a problem. The Kerrs made the height complication work for them. Paul seems to have a lot more chemistry and presence with Piper than he did with Vanessa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Vanessa was was excellent technically, but had no connection with Paul - found her boring as hell!

    Piper Gilles and Paul have a spark and excitement that makes watching them a pleasure. As Piper grows technically this team will become a force to be reckoned within Ice Dancing.
    Yes, and G/P connection comes across in interviews as well.

    I really like both programs for this new Canadian team. I'm excited about Gilles/Poirier (and I hope Mitchell/Islam work out their problems). Paul never stood out for me before. I found his skating with Vanessa quite elegant and technically brilliant, but boring and forgettable.

  7. #207
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    11,182
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2492
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I was when "let's begin with a spin" meant that they began with a spin. That's the shit I'm talking about!
    That was one of my favourite bits Obvious yet brilliant way to deal with the dreaded ole pair spin.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

  8. #208
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the links to past T/D great programs. That rock-and-roll OSP is the greatest, especially because it has to be repeated 3 times and they do it with the same energy level and it is exciting to watch instead of boring.

    Wish rock-and-roll would be a sd theme in an upcoming season.

    Will be great to see Dean inspired to create more interesting programs with G/P.

  9. #209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    At least the judges won't have to think too much about what it's about.
    Yeah, last season's free program by Crone & Poirier was a little too complicated. It didn't quite work.

  10. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,696
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    At least the judges won't have to think too much about what it's about.
    Right. No need for program notes.

  11. #211

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,657
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Pj Kwong on Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier before Canadians (includes FD practice video): http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...nationals.html
    Coach Carol Lane confirmed that they have in writing from the U.S. body that Gilles will be released in May of 2012. Moving forward, this means that Gilles and Poirier will more than likely be competing at Skate Canada in 2012 with the possibility of another Grand Prix assignment as alternates.

    "My grandmother is Canadian and I have family in Sarnia. My mother is in the middle of getting her passport and once that happens, I will be applying for my Canadian citizenship," Gilles says. "I would be proud to represent Canada and already feel part-Canadian."

  12. #212

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    She has family in Sarnia (which some of us affectionately call Narnia haha)? Well knock me down cause that's where I live. Smalll world.
    Crazy about sports!

  13. #213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    348
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I'm assuming Christopher Dean must see a lot of potential in Paul's skating since he has maintained his relationship with him through to a 2nd partnership now.
    Dean is a big star but he has to pay the bills like everyone else. A high profile team is good for him. Often people assume someone like him is making more money than anyone.

    Of course, Paul Poirier IS a good skater. I get the feeling this new partnership is attempting to fit more into the conventional glamor girl partner mold, as if a male skater is shortchanged as a leading man if is partner isn't appropriately glamorous. I miss Vanessa. She brought so much strength to that team. They were like nobody else, but still with great basics. I don't see Piper's posture as better. Gilles/Poirier is more redundant - not ying and yang, but two fluffy, glam yangs, with one a considerabely stronger skater than the other.

  14. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Interesting analysis re the two partnerships, Subway.

    I think when you are looking for a new partner, the key is finding someone with whom you not only click personality-wise, but whose skating style and body type are also a good match. I doubt Poirier put out an SOS for a "glamour-girl" type partner. Considering all the difficulties inherent in skating with a new partner, Gilles/ Poirier look very good together and their future seems bright.

    The chemistry between G/P is very palpable, which to me seems much more important than whether or not they are perceived as "fluffy, glam yangs." Very interesting characterization though! Could you do a similar "ying/ yang" rundown on all of the top U.S. and Canadian ice dance teams? Please.

  15. #215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    348
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Interesting analysis re the two partnerships, Subway.

    I think when you are looking for a new partner, the key is finding someone with whom you not only click personality-wise, but whose skating style and body type are also a good match. I doubt Poirier put out an SOS for a "glamour-girl" type partner. Considering all the difficulties inherent in skating with a new partner, Gilles/ Poirier look very good together and their future seems bright.

    The chemistry between G/P is very palpable, which to me seems much more important than whether or not they are perceived as "fluffy, glam yangs." Very interesting characterization though! Could you do a similar "ying/ yang" rundown on all of the top U.S. and Canadian ice dance teams? Please.
    If there is palpable chemistry, yes, that would overshadow other things. I dont feel palpable chemistry. This is a conventional looking team of similar physical types and for some it's considered a step up for Paul on that basis. I dont agree - for now.

    C&P were unconventional together not only physically. Crone was light, quick, precise, athletic, very focused and intense. I thought it was an excellent foil to Poirier's long lines and smooth power. I dont think Gilles matches his abilities or provides the same balance and interesting performance dynamic.

  16. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^Yes, you are likely absolutely right, especially with your take on lines and performance dynamic. Many here have expressed how much they love Crone's technique, elegant lines and her performances on the ice. The question then is, "Why did C/P break-up? Did they not get along together personality-wise? Does anyone know?

    Although Gilles at present does not match Poirier's technique level and overall abilities, there is another intriguing quality they seem to have together so far whether it's "fluffy, glam yangs" or whatever. They are definitely appealing as a team and so it will be interesting to see how far they will go.

    I do think your yin/yang analysis is quite fascinating. Would you assess Weaver/Poje as yang/yang? How about Virtue/ Moir and Davis/ White? Thanks for your thoughts.

  17. #217
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    348
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, you are likely absolutely right, especially with your take on lines and performance dynamic. Many here have expressed how much they love C.e's technique, elegant lines and her performances on the ice.
    ???? Really not my points about Crone. But I see in what you just said about Crone why some are so very enthusiastic about Gilles with Poirier. Otherwise, no point in answering something insincere and baiting.

    So back to the topic in general Gilles is perceived in some quarters as better looking than Crone so Paul has upgraded to a partner at his attractiveness level. Crone took a lot of hits about posture and lack of elegance from some fans. I think these deficits were exaggerated and her skating technique was definitely better than Gilles and the chemistry much better. Not a romantic chemistry but a strong affinity. I dont find Gilles' posture anything to write home about. But I can see them making a strong bid for bronze at the upcoming Canadians.
    Last edited by Subway; 01-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.

  18. #218
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Centre of the Universe
    Posts
    827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    than Crone so Paul has upgraded to a partner at his attractiveness level. Crone took a lot of hits about posture and lack of elegance from some fans. I think these deficits were exaggerated and her skating technique was definitely better than Gilles and the chemistry much better. Not a romantic chemistry but a strong affinity. I dont find Gilles' posture anything to write home about. But I can see them making a strong bid for bronze at the upcoming Canadians.
    I completely agree re: Vanessa's technique and the exaggeration of her deficits. I also agree about Vanessa and Paul's chemistry being very strong, in a unique way - not romantic, per se, but not brother/sister or strictly platonic, either. So far, I don't really see a lot of chemistry between Piper and Paul.

  19. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    ???? Really not my points about Crone. But I see in what you just said about Crone why some are so very enthusiastic about Gilles with Poirier. Otherwise, no point in answering something insincere and baiting.

    So back to the topic in general Gilles is perceived in some quarters as better looking than Crone so Paul has upgraded to a partner at his attractiveness level. Crone took a lot of hits about posture and lack of elegance from some fans. I think these deficits were exaggerated and her skating technique was definitely better than Gilles and the chemistry much better. Not a romantic chemistry but a strong affinity. I dont find Gilles' posture anything to write home about. But I can see them making a strong bid for bronze at the upcoming Canadians.
    Hmmm, wow, that you express my comments as "insincere and baiting." Even if I don't see exactly what you see Subway, and I say that you are "absolutely right," that doesn't mean that I'm being "insincere and baiting." You are "absolutely right" in how you perceive the two partnerships, and I mean that sincerely. Your knowledge of ice dance is greater than mine, and therefore your perceptions are likely much more on target.

    And I am sincerely interested in your "yin/ yang" take, and that is why I asked how you would characterize other top teams in that respect. It is exciting right now to see the depth and strength of all the North American teams, and the impact they have had. I find your analyses thoughtful and interesting.

    From my limited knowledge perspective, I was never really drawn to C/P team, despite their obvious strengths. They didn't stand out very much to me, but then once again ice dance is not a discipline that I have followed as closely as other skating disciplines. The fact that C/P did not stand out to me as a more casual fan of ice dance seems to prove your point that "fluffy, glam" partnerships are more attention-grabbing to the general public. Yet also in regard to Gilles/ Poirier, in interviews and on the ice, their personalities seem to mesh quite well, and that might be the more important factor that will determine how well they grow together, with their mutual attractiveness and yang appeal an added benefit and the "icing on the cake."

    If C/P skated from a very young age together, perhaps that is why they shared such a "strong affinity." I haven't followed them closely and I don't know much about the former team, but from what I've read here they seem to have had either some personal disagreements or some personality conflicts which apparently over the long term can detract from the "success" of a partnership if it led to their mutual unhappiness in skating together.

  20. #220
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •