Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I really do hope that Gilles/Poirier make the Olympic team and skate in Sochi. I enjoy their charisma and the fact that their skating is nothing like Virtue/Moir or Weaver/Poje. I really enjoy the variety in styles and programs that they bring to the table. If they can manage to do what they are capable of by being healthy, skating their best, earning that 3rd spot, and silencing their very vocal detractors in the process, what a great result!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I really do hope that Gilles/Poirier make the Olympic team and skate in Sochi. I enjoy their charisma and the fact that their skating is nothing like Virtue/Moir or Weaver/Poje. I really enjoy the variety in styles and programs that they bring to the table. If they can manage to do what they are capable of by being healthy, skating their best, earning that 3rd spot, and silencing their very vocal detractors in the process, what a great result!

^this exactly.

One would think Piper charged across the border, tore Paul away from his former partner , and threw her to the wolves.

Piper had a try out AFTER Paul had left Vanessa, and tried out with other potential partners.

Piper brings energy and athleticism - and with time, they may make a great team.

Or.....Paul may find another partner ..

vCash
    Technically, yes.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    That only works if we find out that one of the parents of the other contenders launches a counteroffensive.

It's possible that one of them may have such intentions.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    It's possible that one of them may have such intentions.
    Where's the popcorn?

This really can't be compared to Tanith's situation. Maybe it's more analogous to Aliona Savchenko getting citizenship before Torino. Savchenko and Szolkowy had placed sixth at Worlds the year before (their first year competing), but they also medaled in the fall at the GP Final and at Europeans, so they looked more competitive for the podium at Torino.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    From Sun Valley Twitter feed this week:

@sunvalley: We're sorry to announce that due to an injury @PiperGilles & @PaulDPoirier will not be performing at #SVOnIce on August 24.

Not sure what this means for them as a team this season.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I just watched a G/P video at her Twitter urging. Ms. Gilles is so looking forward to going to the Olympics and Mr. Poirier has a bit more humility in that regard.
    On another note, they did not skate their programs at Canada's HPC and won't be doing a competition until their GP in November. It seems that his injury has taken a long term toll.

vCash
    New article by Beverley Smith about Poirier's injury (a fracture dislocation in his right ankle 4 months ago) and recovery, as well as G/P's programs: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    A Hitchcock/Psycho free dance? That could be totally voidy or a complete trainwreck!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    A Hitchcock/Psycho free dance? That could be totally voidy or a complete trainwreck!
    Yes, it will be verrrry interesting to see them both in this type of role. I am looking forward to seeing it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Ooh, it sounds very promising! Don't forget that Piper Gilles has some experience with Hitchcock-inspired programmes - with Zach Donhue she would skate to a compilation of tunes from Vertigo and North by Northwest .

YEAH!
    vCash
    It sounds like it's going to be a comedy, so I vote trainwreck.

They are skating to the soundtrack from the movie Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho, a 2012 comedy-drama that traces the relationship that Hitchcock had with his wife and the lead actress of Psycho.
    Who has even tried comedy in ice dance besides R&K? Maybe it will actually be cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Who has even tried comedy in ice dance besides R&K? Maybe it will actually be cool.
    Well Lobacheva & Averbukh... but it was unintentional... Now seriously, I think Z/G and Z/S fit the comedy category, don't you?

If the choreography of G/P was being made by other choreographers I'd have more faith in it, as it is I'm afraid it will be cartoonish again...

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Anyone heard anything about Piper's citizenship issue? Last I read here it seemed unlikely she'd get it in time for the Olys.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    New article by Beverley Smith about Poirier's injury (a fracture dislocation in his right ankle 4 months ago) and recovery, as well as G/P's programs: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Thanks.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    A new article regarding Gilles and Poirier citizenship and competition plans in the torontoobserver.ca sports section.
    If they can't go to the Olympics because of citizenship they will go to Worlds or Four Continents

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    G/P are on the SD start order list for a local Ontario competition called Octoberfest this weekend. His ankle must be recovering well now.
    Is anyone attending?

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    This is the Toronto Observer article marn referenced.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The article says their goal is to make the Worlds team if Gilles doesn't get her passport by 13 January. (I'm not sure what that deadline is: final entries to the Olympics are due to SOCHI from the NOC's on 27 January.) I don't remember if Skate Canada is on record about not sending their Olympic team to Taipei for 4C's -- they didn't send it to Korea in 2010 -- but it's realistic for Crone* Gilles/Poirier to be focused on 4C's and Worlds, if V/M don't skate after the Olympics.

Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-16-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The article says their goal is to make the Worlds team if Gilles doesn't get her passport by 13 January. (I'm not sure what that deadline is: final entries to the Olympics are due to SOCHI from the NOC's on 27 January.) I don't remember if Skate Canada is on record about not sending their Olympic team to Taipei for 4C's -- they didn't send it to Korea in 2010 -- but it's realistic for Crone/Poirier to be focused on 4C's and Worlds, if V/M don't skate after the Olympics.
    Is Vanessa back

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast