Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    What does "compete internationally" mean? The presence of international judges? Or does that mean ISU competitions on the minimum score qualifying list?
    I assume this means any ISU-sanctioned competition that's listed on the ISU calendar for this season.

For example, could they compete at Lake Placid or similar events? (I know it's too late for that now, but in general.)
    Yes. Lake Placid and non-qualifying (club) competitions have international judges sometimes but they are not considered to be "true" international competitions.

vCash
    If Virtue/Moir continue through Sochi, Weaver/Poje continue to place strongly in international competition, and Paul/Islam keep improving at the pace they have been, there's no guarantee that a Gilles/Poirier team will be able to earn a place on the Canadian World or Olympic teams.
    I would agree generally (although I personally am not holding my breath about V/M continuing all the way to Sochi). If we look at past precedent, an exception had to have been made for Kaitlyn Weaver, though, without any guarantees that they could earn a spot on the Olympic team (especially given that they did not). However, even if Piper can't get citizenship before Sochi, we're talking about a team of two 19 year-olds. If the partnership works out, they should still be young enough to look at 2018.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    When they granted the exception to Weaver in June 2009, it was after she had lived in Canada since 2006, won three national championship medals, competed internationally with Poje for three seasons, won a World Junior bronze, made it to the World Championships twice, and had two top-five results at 4C's.

I wouldn't bet on citizenship before they have an international track record. If the USFS releases Gilles after a year, Gilles/Poirier will have competed one year in international competition by 2013 a year before Sochi, the same amount of time before they granted an exception for Weaver.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    However, even if Piper can't get citizenship before Sochi, we're talking about a team of two 19 year-olds. If the partnership works out, they should still be young enough to look at 2018.
    This is OT but I wonder if we will continue to see the type of longevity we use to have in ice dance, or if athletes are going to peak at younger ages due to the increased demands of the sport. In the days of compulsories and "waiting your turn," it took years to perfect the CDs to be able to crack into the top ranks. In addition, high impact elements like lifts were far simpler and less physically demanding. Now with CDs relegated to the annals of history and COP encouraging much more complex and strenuous lifts, the average age of the podium seems to be rapidly declining. So while it wasn't uncommon to see medalists in their 30's even as recently as a few years ago, I'm not sure whether that trend will continue.

(So that's a really long-winded way of saying that maybe Gilles and Poirer may in fact be "too old" at 26 in 2018. )
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Good luck to this new team. Now we just need to find Emily a partner!!!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    They can process a regular "self-employed" permanent residency application at the top of the pile, since there aren't that many people who have either "relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada", and different parts of CIC process different types of applications. They don't have a back log of these applications, like they do for Skilled Worker (over 1M the last time I saw a figure).
    If she promises to run a farm can they process it even faster?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    (So that's a really long-winded way of saying that maybe Gilles and Poirer may in fact be "too old" at 26 in 2018. )
    Ah, remember the good old days, when Dick Button would comment that the great thing about ice dancing was you could compete for longer and even practice your moves on the kitchen floor.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Great news. Wishing them both the best this coming season. They really are a good looking couple.

vCash
    Wow, that is exciting. I think they are going to skate beautifully together!!

vCash
    I'm really happy for Paul. I don't know much about Piper, but I'm sure she's a lovely skater, and its really exciting to have another potentially great team coming up the ranks in Canada!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    This is excellent news and kudos to US Figure Skating for agreeing to release Piper so this team can happen.

Looking forward to seeing them come 2012 Canadians.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I am so thrilled beyond words that this new partnership is now official! I wish them all the best of luck and success in their journey together to achieve their goals and dreams!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Ah, remember the good old days, when Dick Button would comment that the great thing about ice dancing was you could compete for longer and even practice your moves on the kitchen floor.
    I love imitating COP step sequences on my kitchen floor (maybe this is one of those "You know you watch too much skating when...).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I love imitating COP step sequences on my kitchen floor (maybe this is one of those "You know you watch too much skating when...).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have some tomato plants on my deck that she can come and water, if that would help her application along
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Good luck to them, I'm looking forward to seeing them on the ice together.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Good luck to this new team. Now we just need to find Emily a partner!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Great news. Wishing them both the best this coming season. They really are a good looking couple.

vCash
    “We have known Piper for a long time, because she had often competed in the same events as my couples,” Lane said. “She is the right height, has the right physical attributes and an outgoing personality. Her skills and physical appearance work well. Both are only 19 years old, so we said why not, let’s give it a try.”

It indirectly sounds a bit rude towards Vanessa.

Anyway, I wish that Gilles and Poirier have a good career together.

vCash
    Very interesting, curious to see what the new team is like.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast