Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

New CDN ice dance team - Gilles & Poirier

I know that this is already posted in the Crone & Poirier thread but I didn't want people to miss the news that Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier have announced their partnership. They will compete internationally next season but should skate at 2012 Canadians.

Read more here: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...d-paul-poirier
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Is Piper already a Canadian citizen? Or how long does one need to be resident of Canada before one can become a citizen, normally?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    This is great news - Paul is one of the top male ice dancers, and it would be a shame if he didn't find a partner. Glad to hear the US is going to release her.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Is Piper already a Canadian citizen? Or how long does one need to be resident of Canada before one can become a citizen, normally?
    Canadian citizenship generally takes a bit longer than 4 years. Technically the requirement is 3 years in Canada, but the time before permanent residency (which usually takes around 2 years) only counts for 50%. So the first 2 years would count as 1, and then another 2 is required after that. Time spent travelling outside of Canada also doesn't count towards the total so for people who travel outside the country, it takes a bit longer. That said, Kaitlyn Weaver managed to get it done in about 3 years, so obviously there are procedures for fast-tracking.

vCash
    Good news! I look forward to seeing them skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Usually, you have to wait 3 years after obtaining your permanent residency in Canada. Immigration laws are complicated, so I don`t know if there is a way to speed up the process.
    Is Weaver a Canadian citizen?

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Think Weaver got her citizenship before 2010 Olympics.

eta: Yes, she got it in June 2009.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...009-06-22a.asp
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Well, Skate Canada certainly put a lot of political energy into backing Crone/Poirier nationally and internationally, I wonder if they'll be as excited about this team.

living every minute
    vCash
    They're going to be skating in "a small show in early August". Hmm, did Thornhiil just get even more interesting?
    Last edited by Mevrouw; 07-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Well, Skate Canada certainly put a lot of political energy into backing Crone/Poirier nationally and internationally, I wonder if they'll be as excited about this team.
    It is difficult to say. I think it depends how good they are. This is a tough time to try and break up an established partnership and start one anew in Canadian dance. There are 3 extremely strong dance teams in Canada already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    They're going to be skating in "a small show in early August".
    This is probably a reference to this post in the Paul/Islam thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by sadie View Post
    According to the Scarboro FSC website, they are having a gala on the same night as the Mariposa Gala [Aug. 4] with their dance teams deputing thier new programs. Ralph & Hill are listed along with some junior and novice teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    They're going to be skating in "a small show in early August".
    I expect this is the show. (Unfortunately the same day as the Mariposa gala.)
    http://www.sfsc.on.ca/so_you_think_you_can_judge

Quadless
    vCash
    Nice that they will work with Christopher Dean (although not surprising given the prior connections on both sides).
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Piper has beautiful lines and legs that never end. They should look very sexy together.

It's a shame that the Poirier-Samuelson dream team could not happen. They obviously considered it. The usfsa is releasing Piper in 1 year. Would it have been different with Emily? Would the usfsa just refuse to release her and make her wait forever?

living every minute
    vCash
    I agree that it's the Aug. 4 show which is in the same arena as the Thornhill event will be the following week - 7755 Bayview Ave (north of Steeles). I think I'll go to that one.

I don't think that Samuelson would have suited Paul's style and line. I've always found her 'athletic' rather than elegant. JMHO
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Hooray for Piper! I think this is a good match. I hope they do well.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They can process a regular "self-employed" permanent residency application at the top of the pile, since there aren't that many people who have either "relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada", and different parts of CIC process different types of applications. They don't have a back log of these applications, like they do for Skilled Worker (over 1M the last time I saw a figure).

They can always fast-track her citizenship application, which requires three years (1095 days) physical presence in a fourth-year period, and the last processing times I read were 18-24 months after a person qualifies.

To shorten the residency period or to count time out of the country would require an exception. Soprano Sondra Radvanovsky, who is married to a Canadian citizen, has her permanent home in Toronto, and certainly qualifies under the "Self-employed" clause, has spoken about not being able to become a citizen, because she travels too much to perform.

If Virtue/Moir continue through Sochi, Weaver/Poje continue to place strongly in international competition, and Paul/Islam keep improving at the pace they have been, there's no guarantee that a Gilles/Poirier team will be able to earn a place on the Canadian World or Olympic teams. If there's any exception made, it would likely be evaluated much closer to the Olympics.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    So if USFS is releasing Piper in 1 yr, what kind of eligibility to compete will she have this current season? Do they have to sit out? Sometimes these rules get a bit confusing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ers View Post
    So if USFS is releasing Piper in 1 yr, what kind of eligibility to compete will she have this current season? Do they have to sit out?
    Yes, they cannot compete internationally in 2011-12 but can compete at 2012 Canadians.

vCash
    They can compete domestically in Canada. They will no doubt try to show very well at Nationals.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, they cannot compete internationally in 2011-12 but can compete at 2012 Canadians.
    What does "compete internationally" mean? The presence of international judges? Or does that mean ISU competitions on the minimum score qualifying list? For example, could they compete at Lake Placid or similar events? (I know it's too late for that now, but in general.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast