Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    Jaimie Goodwin tweeted that she couldn't do SYTYCD because she was still working on the Rock Of Ages movie (directed by Adam Shankman and choreographed by Mia Michaels). But she is now in LA and ready to go so perhaps she is on for next week.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Melanie and Marko were my favorites, and will probably continue to be. They just have the complete package. If either of them wins, I'll be happy.

I didn't care for the Super Mario routine at all last night. That was too much trying to be the Alex/Twitch routine.

Melanie is my favorite out of all the dancers(but she has been from day one, for the most part). Her expression and line are just amazing.

vCash
    Since this is long after the fact, I won't bore folks with lots of comments. I'll just bore you all with a short post. Unlike some here who professed to be bored by the show, I enjoyed a lot of the dances/performances last night -- at least 7 or 8 of the 12. Of course there were a few less than great routines, but I actually even liked Jordan/Ade's. I think that Sasha, Melanie, Marko, and Tadd would be a good final four and I'd probably be happy with any of the first 3 winning (unless they somehow come off the rails with sub-par dancing in the next few weeks).

I agree that Ricky seems to be the guy most likely to leave tonight. If he had to dance a jive with Anya, why the hell did they use that horrid Celine Dion cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" instead of Tina Turner's? I know that they'd already had Tina's "Nutbush City Limits", but making Ricky dance to Celine was adding insult to injury (from throwing him under the bus).

ETA: Alison really is a wonderful dancer. And IMO Pasha was too "buttoned up."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    If he had to dance a jive with Anya, why the hell did they use that horrid Celine Dion cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" instead of Tina Turner's?
    You mean, why should they choreograph to dance music?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Can I just say that seeing Melanie and Sasha dance together was a dream come true!! They were awesome together! They are my two favorites and, like Nigel said, I really do flip-flop back and forth between who my favorite is. Seeing them perform together was such a treat and Sonjia did an awesome job.

Melanie and Neil were breath-taking, as were Marko and Allison. I'm hoping for Melanie, Sasha, Tadd and Marko to make it to the top 4...

I'm thinking maybe Rickey will go home tonight, though out of the guys, I'd send Jess home. I like him but he's never been a favorite of mine. I'm pretty sure it's between Caitlyn and Jordan to go home...I'm pretty sure Sasha and Melanie are safe after last night. I'm thinking Jordan's dance with Jess will probably send her home...

I can't wait to find out what happens!

YEAH!
    vCash
    If he had to dance a jive with Anya, why the hell did they use that horrid Celine Dion cover of "River Deep, Mountain High" instead of Tina Turner's?
    I would have even accepted the Santana/Mercedes duet from Glee; far more soulful than Celine's.

vCash
    I think it was Melanie's night.

vCash
    I think that Sasha, Melanie, Marko, and Tadd would be a good final four and I'd probably be happy with any of the first 3 winning.....
    I agree with this. Tadd is far more versatile than I thought he would be, he's a natural. I was originally thinking Jess instead of Tadd for final four, but I find Tadd more appealing, and I believe the voters will too.

[devil's advocate] I wonder what the judges will do if both Sasha and Melanie happen to be in the bottom this week. [/devil's advocate]

ETA: Alison really is a wonderful dancer.
    She and Twitch are probably my favorites ever on this show. I was very pleased that Rob Marshall acknowledged her.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    [devil's advocate] I wonder what the judges will do if both Sasha and Melanie happen to be in the bottom this week. [/devil's advocate]
    Is it still a bottom three? Then the answer is dump the other woman, even if Sasha and Melanie limp through their DFYL solo.

In addition, get all solemn and self-righteous about the (idiot) viewership.

If it's only a bottom two, I'd expect lots of sobbing.

If they choose Sasha, then Melanie can go work with Lady Gaga, and then Nigel will be thrilled that he can replace her on the tour with Ryan.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I guess I was horribly spoiled by Seasons 4 and 5, but for me, this one pales by comparison. I'm not connecting to any of these dancers. I think it's just too much of a contempo-fest for me.

Bye Caitlin. It was nice knowing you. Sorry you didn't spread your legs a little more for Nigel's liking.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I want Caitlin's dress -- and the body that goes with it. That was gorgeous. And the foxtrot had far more ballroom steps than virtually any of the other ballroom dances (ahem, Melanie's "waltz") we've seen, so I'd be sorry to lose her.

I am not loving Melanie as much, partly because they keep giving her contemporary-type stuff while tossing other contestants routines far outside their comfort zones. But there's also a physique issue. Last night, at the opening of her routine with Sasha, her thighs were jiggling to beat the band, and it was not appealing, and her head and neck manage to get into weird positions in all her dances. She also seems to be impossible to costume. Anything other than the simplest of workout attire seems to look terrible on her. She's a really good contemporary dancer, but I think she's paled in comparison to some of the other top female contemporary dancers who've been on the show. It all reminds me of Kayla, and how the judges kept pushing her. (And at least Kayla was given dances far outside of contemporary.)

I'd be fine with Jordan and Ricky leaving. Just a shame that the choreographer didn't give Ade some dancing to do -- he's really a wonderful dancer, and they keep using him just as a forklift.

I'd also like to know what the devil the choreographer was thinking of with the rhumba in term's of Jess' role, which was basically nada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I am not loving Melanie as much, partly because they keep giving her contemporary-type stuff while tossing other contestants routines far outside their comfort zones. But there's also a physique issue. Last night, at the opening of her routine with Sasha, her thighs were jiggling to beat the band, and it was not appealing, and her head and neck manage to get into weird positions in all her dances. She also seems to be impossible to costume. Anything other than the simplest of workout attire seems to look terrible on her. She's a really good contemporary dancer, but I think she's paled in comparison to some of the other top female contemporary dancers who've been on the show. It all reminds me of Kayla, and how the judges kept pushing her. (And at least Kayla was given dances far outside of contemporary.)
    I agree with most of this -- well, I didn't notice any thigh jiggling, and her non-waiflike physique doesn't bother me, but she just doesn't seem graceful to me. I'm sure I'd love her in a floor routine at the London Olympics, but not so much here. And the way she throws her head back and wrinkles her nose when she laughs also seriously bugs.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    And the way she throws her head back and wrinkles her nose when she laughs also seriously bugs.
    That is what bugs me the most about her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That is what bugs me the most about her.
    Most 18 year olds bug me. I think it comes with seeing the other side of 30. I'd love this show if the minimum age was 22.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Beach Bum
    vCash
    And the maximum age over 30.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Amen to all the above six or so messages. I don't feel the Melanie love at all. London Olympics..haha. I pegged her as Melanie Lou Retton somewhere, and I stand by that. Her cutsie, twinkly bit is getting on my last nerve.

It seems the top two girls both have the same basic problem (to me anyway.) They just have one emotional context. Melanie is perky, even when she's trying to play more sombre or sophisticated, and Sasha is just mean-lookin'. I greatly prefer Sasha as a performer, and Melanie just looks like a general contemporary competition dancer. I haven't seen jiggly thighs either, but Richard pegged her right away as having the biggest thighs he's ever seen on a serious dancer. I know it's muscle and she's in shape, but she looks really beefy.

Hey-Marko for the win! Let's dump Nigel on his derriere and ignore his beasts. Marko doesn't deserve to win, but then again, I don't know anybody who does this year. Huge disappointment. I will only go on the tour this year if I have a front row seat, which is highly doubtful.

vCash
    I really like Melanie. I don't find her perky in her dancing at all. I'm not even sure she's all that perky when she's not dancing. She doesn't really say much at all other than "thank you." She has a tendency to kind of laugh when the judges lavish praise on her, but not everyone deals with praise the same way. In any event, I don't see that side of her personality in her dancing at all and I'm not going to decide whether to vote for someone based on how they laugh in response to praise. Yeah, she's very athletic in her build. I'm fine with that. Her power and control are impressive to me. I think her dancing is very expressive and she manages to find the right chemistry with whoever she works with. I wish they would give her a little bit more variety in her dances, but that's not really her fault.

I like Sasha, too, though I do think she has trouble with the softer dances because her dancing does tend to be quite fierce.

I like Marko, too, but he doesn't wow me, and I'd rather see Melanie or Sasha win. But, the guy will probably win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I really like Melanie. I don't find her perky in her dancing at all. I'm not even sure she's all that perky when she's not dancing. She doesn't really say much at all other than "thank you." She has a tendency to kind of laugh when the judges lavish praise on her, but not everyone deals with praise the same way. In any event, I don't see that side of her personality in her dancing at all and I'm not going to decide whether to vote for someone based on how they laugh in response to praise. Yeah, she's very athletic in her build. I'm fine with that. Her power and control are impressive to me. I think her dancing is very expressive and she manages to find the right chemistry with whoever she works with. I wish they would give her a little bit more variety in her dances, but that's not really her fault.

I like Sasha, too, though I do think she has trouble with the softer dances because her dancing does tend to be quite fierce.

I like Marko, too, but he doesn't wow me, and I'd rather see Melanie or Sasha win. But, the guy will probably win.
    I'm just going to ditto everything you said!

vCash
    Me too.

vCash
    To be honest, Sasha doesn't do that much for me either. So it's not a Sasha vs Melanie thing for me. I don't have a horse in this race at all. I wouldn't say Sasha is mean-looking, but I agree that she is too fierce/hard in some of the dances that call for softer movement.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast