Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    And we get a teaser of Sasha and Melanie with competing Mohawks.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Jordan is doing a good turn as a lap dancer...My husband is entranced.
    Mine wanted to know if she had on anything under her skirt.

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    Dream trio for the season.

vCash
    Melanie and Sasha dancing a Sonya routine

Wheeeee! GaGa just tossed her shoe at the stage!

I hope GaGa ditches Laurie Ann Gibson and hires Sonya!
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Melanie, Sasha, Sonja- Green lighting

Very cool and alien feeling. I liked it better when they were not moving in unison, because I felt that Sasha dancing technique is so different from Melanies...

Gaga's shoe at the stage. Neat.

...and I like Sasha + Sonja just a bit better. I'm nitpicking though. That was a treat.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    The fact that Sonya has yet to get an Emmy nomination is complete BS to me.

GaGa gives her other shoe to Sonya

As much as I love Melanie, she got the pimp spot with Jazz and Contemporary in the same night.

Caitlynn and Jordan weren't even close to Sasha and Melanie tonight for me.

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    Tonight, they've set up the final four to be:
    Melanie
    Sasha
    Marko
    Jess (possibly Tadd)

Re-registered User
    vCash
    And Sonja gets a shoe too.

The second half of the show was a vast improvement over the first hour.

Best dancer of the night- Allison.

Best contestant- Sasha
    Thrown under the bus- Ricky

The only safe guy is Marko.
    Leaving the show -Jordan or Caitlyn for the girls- obviously, and interchangibly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    The second half of the show was a vast improvement over the first hour.

Best dancer of the night- Allison.

Best contestant- Sasha
    I agree, for the second week in a row, Allison was the best dancer of the night.

For me, Marko, Melanie, and Sasha were the top three of the night by a huge margin. If I nitpicked it, I'd probably give the night to Sasha because she had to do ballroom and she was sublime in the number with Melanie.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Tonight was so blah. I thought the choreographers would bring it more since GaGa's appearance had the potential of attracting brand new viewers.

Best guest judge ever... I love how she dissed BOTH NappyTabs routines, and made it very clear that she was solely dissing the choreography and not the dancers (I think NPH was trying to diss Tyce last week, but it could have been interpreted as a slam on Mitchell.) GaGa even managed to point out Nigel being a perv and put out a slight diss on Anya (I'm like the only person who does not "get" Anya whatsoever).

As much as I love Melanie, I thought Sasha owned her in that Sonya number. And was it just me or was the way she was holding GaGa's shoe a bit, erm, phallic?

ETA: Where was Jamie Goodwin? She was announced last week as an allstar, not Allison. Is she injured or did Sonya just really want to copy her Hallelujah routine from last season as closely as possible?
    Last edited by Cherub721; 07-28-2011 at 04:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    (I think NPH was trying to diss Tyce last week, but it could have been interpreted as a slam on Mitchell.)
    I definitely thought Neil was dissing Tyce.

I loved Lady GaGa. She shows so much respect for the dancers and passion while still giving constructive and fair criticism. (But she really does not seem to be a NappyTabs fan. Rob tried to counter that.) I thought it was odd, though, that she commented about not being nice to her mother as a kid before Marko said those things about his mother.

I also love the All-Stars. Allison is great. And Lauren F. was wonderful even if the story in that dance wasn't that great.

I wish Melanie had gotten something better than Neil and Bonnie Tyler, though. IMO, that music was a yawn, but her power and control never cease to impress me as well as her expression throughout her entire body. The Melanie/Sasha dance kicked major butt! Sonja is the perfect choreographer for Sasha and I think the dance worked really well for Melanie, too.

I think it's Ricky's and Jordan's turn to go home this week.

vCash
    In general on tonight: one of my favorites of the season. It’s a shame—I haven’t watched this show live in a couple of weeks because there hasn’t been that imperative somehow like in past seasons, but now I’m very sorry I didn’t—all I did was have mediocre wine with people I see all the time. I’ve loved most of the guest judges—they add a freshness that’s necessary. I kinda wish they’d have guest judges and two rotating regular judges every week. GAGA is just I thought Rob Marshall’s commentary was rather milquetoast towards the end, and unnecessary. They could have all done solos had there been three judges. In the beginning though I liked his thoughts; he deserves his own week.

I wrote this as I watched to remain “pure”:

Sasha and Pasha—Great quickstep! I usually like the idea of quickstep, but rarely the execution. Loved everything about it, especially that it wasn’t to some bizarre pop song that was not a quickstep.

Caitlynn and Ivan—“open your legs a little more”? Love the GAGA’s comments-the snarky one and the dated quality of lyrical hip hop. It was good, but I think it might have been great had she had a better partner. I would have loved to have seen Legacy dance this with her—he had that natural smoothness and is better at partnering. I really think they’re trying to throw her under the bus in favor of Jordan.

Jordan and Ade—UGH. Why couldn’t Jordan have drawn Ivan? Weird choice of song. Ade does not look as strong as he used to, and he still outclassed Jordan by a million miles. Jordan is a great at what she does, but what she does is so narrow, I get bored. Pliable? :screams: GAGA I think is as skeeved by Nigel as we are. “I cut off their heads.” I wish she’d have taken a few more dance classes, some public speaking classes, and auditioned in a few years so she’s more than the greatest cheerleader ever.

Melanie and Neil—UGH. Neil is one of my least favorite dancers ever on this show, but Melanie’s so damn good, she made me almost like him. But that could be because I only saw Melanie in that number. This routine would have been so perfect had someone other than Mandy Moore chosen the music. How long before we run out of her TimeLife Totally 80s CD Collection? Continued to be impressed by GAGA’s comments and eloquent way of relating the meaning beyond the steps.

Ricky and :smoking: Anya—Jive. I think Anya may have just outclassed Ricky harder than Ade outclassed Jordan. Buh-bye Ricky. Nice knowing you. His technique is a bit sketchy. Maybe it was reading the comments from Rob and Holly in last week’s thread, or if this dance showcased his weaknesses, but I really saw where he’s lacking as a dancer. The sucktitude for songs continue. They must be in financial problems and need to save some $$$ by finding cheap and/or old songs of familiar artists. I see where the GAGA is coming from in her comments re: Ricky, but I prefer the DWTS of Anya.

Jesse and Annoying Lauren—Damn. I think Jesse gets the award for Most Improved and Surprisingly Versatile. No mugging, hitting harder, and he looked so tall in this. I think he might have hopped better than Lauren. I wish Nappy would stop cheating on Tabs, or if he does, he should do it with a drag queen or goat so we get more interesting story lines.

Tadd and Good Lauren—This was worse than Jordan and Ade because it was forgettable. Competent and dull. I will forget that routine the second I FF through the commercials. I wish I could see this routine the way the GAGA did, but alas, I did not.

Marko and Allison—FINALLY a great song with great dancers. This routine was the only one tonight that truly was a dance done by two people together expressing a sincere, truly-from-the-heart emotion. I didn’t watch “Marko” and “Allison” I watched a dance. A lot of times, I’m very cynical about the crying and yammering on, but this was one of the few times where I did feel that emotion.

Caitlynn and Tadd—yes. Appropriate music for the dance. I wants that dress. The music, costuming, their expression really set the stage for that dance. It was light and fluffy, and a good choice after the bravura of Marko and Allison.

Marko and Ricky—Same sex pairing! Why couldn’t Alex Wong be healthy so he and Marko could have danced together? :whine: Ricky invisible, yet again. Marko had the night of his life tonight. I think the cameraman forgot about Ricky a few times too. I think I’ve also figured out one of Ricky’s issues—he does not have a natural sense of rhythm, which really shows in ballroom and hip hop. Loved Cat’s humming the Mario Bros theme. Another NappyTabs slam. She’s getting a like on FB from me just for that.

Jesse and Jordan—Weird rhumba. I don’t even know how to judge that it was bizarre to me. Jesse might as well have been a prop, and I can’t even have my usual hate-on for Jordan because I found the choreo in general so odd and the costuming so unflattering. GREAT critique of the song, and I LOVE that she acknowledged that the choreo and interpretation was not that fault.

THE BEASTS!!!!—WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE!!! That is all.
    OK, I lied. They both bring different strengths, and Sonya matched them beautifully by using choreography that was complimentary rather than uniform. LUURVE. Best chemistry of the night too.

Overall, I slightly favor Sasha FTW. I think she’s a little more interesting and versatile. But I’d be totally happy with Melanie, or even Marko after tonight’s performance.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quite the night! Cat looked slightly orange, but I loved the dress. Too bad she didn't have time to go to hair & makeup before showtime though! And compared to Rob Marshall, Cat was positively ashen Even Aliona Savchenko would tell him to lay off the tanning!

Sasha/Pasha (Jonathan Roberts Quickstep): her footwork looked really imprecise but everything from the ankle up was fab. Fun dance.

Caitlynn/Ivan (Hip Hop, I missed the guy's name): I thought she did a great job with useless choreography that reminded me of the Shane Sparks days. Her mom looked pissed about GaGa's open legs crack. Ivan is definitely a better dancer than when he was on the show, but I still wouldn't call him an "all-star". Seriously....I saw Twitch in the audience, so it's not like he wasn't available...

Jordan/Ade (Tyce Jazz): I find Tyce's non-Broadway pieces so much better and even enjoyable from time to time. I liked this piece. Sure, it was more sex kitten stuff from jordan, but for the first time all season it felt like those high developes felt like part of the choreography and not just like tricks. And I adore Ade as a partner.

Melanie/Neil (Mandy Moore '80s flashback #354): Schlock. Any dance to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" that isn't pure camp = FAIL. that last leap o' faith was cool but isn't that like the 3rd or 4th of those done in a piece this season? This is the kind of piece that makes people hate contemporary

Ricky/Anya (Jason Gilkison Jive): I was pleasantly surprised - after last year where Anya looked like she was going to eat all the guys except Jose for breakfast - to see that Ricky looked like he could lead her. ITA with nigel about his weight center being too high, and that one lift was clunky, but there were some enjoyable moments. it's a rough competition for the top guys though, and I fear Ricky needed more

Jess/Lauren (CrappyTabs): stupid piece but great performance. These two had excellent chemistry and their movements matched well. Heee, GaGa dinged the choreography Um....did Rob Marshall say that he had worked with Jess before? Or just that he knew him? Isn't that a wee bit of the ol' conflict o' interest?

Tadd/Lauren F (more Mandy Moore, less schlock {but still '80s!}): I liked this piece. Wasn't brilliant, but it was fun, and these two worked so well together. It was right up Tadd's alley, so kind of an easy ride for him but great job. And mad love for Lauren!!!

Marko/Allison (Sonya): I deliberately missed the explanation of the piece beforehand (I hate being told the story, just let the dance speak for itself dammit!!). This was freakin GORGEOUS. Their timing and connection was incredible. A lot of the choreographic flourishes were for Allison, but Marko was amazing. I think he related even better to allison than to melanie. Yes, Allison is amazing so give credit to her but I was feeling it from him. Of course at the end I had to figure out why everyone was crying, and quite frankly the endless "call your mother" message was a bit of a turnoff, but this was the piece of the night for me

Caitlynn/Tadd (Jonathan Roberts Fox Trot): nice to see a fox trot! Tadd looked effortless out there. Caitlynn's cutesy faces bugged a bit. Nice but not memorable.

Marko/Ricky (CrappyTabs): Yay, no relationship drama!! I can dig their non-couple pieces. very nice job by both, although Marko was killing it. Ricky looked ever so slightly more like a modern dancer doing hip hop - weight not dropped (as usual for him), weight shifts correct but a hair behind the beat. ZING!! GaGa disses CrappyTabs even harder this time so Rob has to come back and say how brilliant they are

Jordan/Jess (Jason Gilkison Rumba): the dissonance between song lyrics and dance interpretation didn't bother me, but these two didn't have chemistry. Jess was playing to Jordan, and Jordan was playing to the audience. Also, the choreography highlighted Jordan so much more...add in her fire engine red dress vs. Jess' all-black outfit that made him blend into the background...this should have been a duet for jordan with an All-Star, not another contestant. Good job on the technical side for both, and that reverse lift was lovely.

Sasha/Melanie (Sonya): FINALLY a women's duet that was athletic and fantastic and not twee has nothing to do with foxes!!! Excellent pairing, these two are such great dancers but have very different (yet complementary) styles I will nitpick and say the energy flagged a tiny bit toward the end for me - and I still think S1's Message in a Bottle is the best femal duet the show has had - but this will be completely mind-blowing by the tour.

Sadly, I think it's Ricky's time to go. I adore him, but Marko and Tadd are totally safe, and I think Jess will be too (although I expect Jess in the bottom to dance a solo). I still want Jordan to go, but she really did have a better week than Caitlynn, so I think we will see her strut her PCD-wannabe stuff again next week.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Um....did Rob Marshall say that he had worked with Jess before? Or just that he knew him? Isn't that a wee bit of the ol' conflict o' interest?
    I think he said a friend of his had worked with Jess and I got the impression that it was some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I deliberately missed the explanation of the piece beforehand (I hate being told the story, just let the dance speak for itself dammit!!). . . . .Of course at the end I had to figure out why everyone was crying, and quite frankly the endless "call your mother" message was a bit of a turnoff, but this was the piece of the night for me
    Actually, I was just as confused as you were even though I saw the intro because the short explanation had nothing to do with mothers. Sonya just said that it was about how people need to be nicer to each other and there's too much judgmentalism in the world right now. So, I didn't get why everyone was crying and talking about their mothers either. I think GaGa and the others must have been aware of some backstory with Marko and his mother or they showed more in the video during the dress rehearsal because the comments about mothers didn't start until GaGa said something.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Aliona Savchenko wants her spray tan back from Rob Marshall.

Sasha has a gorgeous face, and I think she looked best in the duet she did with Melanie than she has in anything all season, but she is hopeless from the knees down technically, and this really showed in the Quickstep. I wish Cat would stop with the "warrior princess" crap already.

Marko was an early favorite of mine, but I thought the Sonja routine was overwrought and manipulative, the Mandatory-Ovation-for-the-Big-Social-Theme-Du-Show, blah, blah, blah, although, by now, I'm pretty much used to that, but the worst is that I thought he was out-danced by his All-Star, Allison, and his "I'm suffering face -- in the routine: I don't even mean talking about his mother -- is one-note.

Tadd has snuck into The-Favorite-Spot-Formerly-Belonging-To-Marko. I didn't love the routine with his All-Star, but it showed the two qualities that I love in his dancing: the contrast between the fluidity and his ability to come to a resonant stillness out of thin air, with no visible preparation or effort, although it's really tight between him and Jess.

I agree that Jess has stopped mugging, but he's assumed a new set of standard facial expressions for the overwrought relationship choreography he's been given recently. (The open mouth one needs to go). He's proven himself to be extremely versatile and quite powerful in his body language, which really struck me when he was facing side and upstage and had the power and tension in his back. He was dancing in a vacuum with Jordan in the Rumba, and until Mary Murphy mentioned what dance it was supposed to be, I had no clue, but Ade had a worse time of it: Jordan didn't pretend he was anything but someone to lift and carry during the routine -- she gave him nothing to work with -- and didn't seem to notice she had a partner, not a crane, until the final pose. If she'd have struck me as strong and independent, I could respect that, but she strikes me as selfish on stage.

After the first half, I went in wishing they could send Caitlynn, Jordan, and Sasha home, and keep Melanie and the men, but I thought Caitlynn was radiant in the Foxtrot. I, too, have a soft spot for Ricky, and could watch him all day, but I'm pretty sure he is toast. I still think Caitlynn will be gone, and we'll be stuck with Jordan still.

Melanie is really stellar: her athleticism is intrinsic in her movement, and she dances from the center, throughout her whole body. I didn't love the final Sonya routine she did with Sasha, but I thought she looked strong.

Lady Gaga the judging booth.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm going to go against the grain and say Marko for the win. I like Melanie but it's tough not to feel like she's been given an easier path to walk than the other contestants. Everything she does looks the same to me. Her hip hop looked like contemporary. Her ballroom looked like contemporary. Every other dance has been contemporary/jazz. I find it all a bit boring. And I didn't love the dance with Sasha tonight as much as everyone else did. The costuming was atrocious and the lack of cohesion in their styles made the whole thing feel a bit messy and unfocused to me.

Marko and Allison had the dance of the night and I really loved Jordan and Ade's dance as well. The rest was pretty forgettable. I think it will be Jordan or Caitlynn leaving this week and I'm fine with either. I think Jordan is the better dancer but I enjoy watching Caitlynn more. On the men's side I think it's Ricky's time. I feel like Jess, Tad and Marko are all safe for now. Next week will be much tougher.

And I didn't love Gaga as a judge. She's an attention sucking black hole and I find her annoying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and say Marko for the win.
    That wouldn't bother me at all. He really connects to his partners and the emotion of the dance. And he can be sexy.

I like Melanie but it's tough not to feel like she's been given an easier path to walk than the other contestants. Everything she does looks the same to me. Her hip hop looked like contemporary. Her ballroom looked like contemporary. Every other dance has been contemporary/jazz.
    Yep. For all the grief people gave other dancers who shall not be named, Melanie's been really catered to style-wise. She's wonderful at what she does. But I confess that her shoulders and neck do something odd that bothers me. She hasn't had a chance to show her versatility, if she has any. Frankly, I thought she was outdanced by Sasha- maybe because Sonya's style sat better on Sasha than Melanie.

I haven't watched the whole show, but I really liked Jordan and Ade's piece (I adore Ade and find him impossibly hot! Plus he's a fantastic partner), Marko and Allison's (even if it was too much like Hallelujah last year) and Sasha and Melanie's. I also liked Marko and Ricky's hip hop, though I think Marko did better at it than Ricky.

I wanted to see Jamie. I love her and her amazing lines.

If I had my way, I'd send Caitlynn and Tadd home. Unfortunately, I think Ricky will be sent packing.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I've always thought Alex/Allison's Hallelujah was overrated

I just rewatched it, and yes there are a lot of Sonya-isms in both, and using the same all-star and musical artist is an odd choice that can only bring comparison, but Hallelujah was rife with cloying overwrought gestures with nothing to back them up. Allison in particular overacted like crazy in that one. I'd compare it more to last night's Melanie/Neil duet with better music - technically great but content wise empty. The Marko/Allison duet is a far better piece, choreographically.

And as much as I love Melanie, I think this comp is Marko's (or possibly Tadd's) to win.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Wrote a review and somehow deleted it. So I will just say this:

Don't care who wins out of Melanie, Marko, Sasha. Melanie is way ahead of the other girls technically, but Sasha is a total performer. Marko was great last night. If Tadd wins, I will be harrumph, but ok because he just keeps getting it right. Anyone else - bah!

Sonja won the night. Finally got 2 pieces where the performance quality, choreography, and music were all magic. Allison is just amazing.

Watch the Melanie/Neil on mute. She is technically amazing, ITA with Matry, she almost made me like Neil.

Yikes Ricky did get thrown under the bus.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I really like Tadd's performances last night.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast