View Poll Results: Who will win the ladies Grand Prix final?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mao Asada

33 19.30%
  • Adelina Sotnikova

49 28.65%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

8 4.68%
  • Mirai Nagasu

33 19.30%
  • Rachael Flatt

3 1.75%
  • Alissa Czisny

18 10.53%
  • Carolina Kostner

9 5.26%
  • Akiko Suzuki

2 1.17%
  • Kiira Korpi

1 0.58%
  • Alena Leanova

1 0.58%
  • Kanako Murakami

5 2.92%
  • Other

9 5.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    For me Adelina has the technical advantage but Elizaveta edges her out in PCS, but her skating is still junior-ish to me.
    Really? I think it's the other way around. Liza has wonderful technique on almost all of her jumps. Her jumps are really beautiful, but the same can't be said of her choreography. I feel Adelina is the more elegant one at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    I wonder if Mao has considered stop skating so many shows during the off season, it must really take away from her training. She really doesn't need the money...
    The only show she is doing this off season is The Ice. She isn't even listed for Japan Open.

vCash
    I agree with icellist. It's always pointless to start predicting the GPF winner when the series hasn't even started yet. Skating is so unpredictable and people change from season to season. At this point, all we have to go off of is what happened last season. For that reason, I'll just give my hopes for next season's GP.

Mao, Kanako, Akiko: I want to Mao continue to improve. If I really had my way, Mao would skip the GP altogether and show up for nationals, 4CC, and worlds. I really think she needs an extended break to get herself together. But, if she's going to be competing, I want to see her really work on her technique and her attack. Kanako has hit a growth spurt and looks so much more mature and womanly. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat of Jumping Jack this year. Though it was my favorite SP from last season (so much fun!) that was a one-time deal. She needs to show a more mature side. Good thing for Kanako is that she's very versatile when it comes to music. I love her musicality and personality and I'm hoping to see a different side of her this season. As for Akiko, I love her. No matter what happens in the standings, you know she's going to go out there and perform two fabulously done programs with a ton of energy and personality...that's why I love her. I don't know if the judges will ever give her her due, but I always enjoy watching her skate.

Adelina, Liza T and Alena: Well, I'm excited to see how the newbies adjust to competing at a higher level. Adelina is the more polished skater. Her movements have maturity and finish to them which is something you don't see in skaters her age. She has great control, stroking, speed and she jumps to the ceiling! I'm in awe of her. As gorgeous as her lines are, all of that changes when she spins. IMO, none of the Russian girls are strong spinners. Their positions are rather weak, angular and unappealing. Adelina needs to work on her layback in particular. Liza T is a very charismatic skater. She has the technical goods but she's very tiny compared to Adelina and other senior skaters. Hopefully she'll hit her growth spurt this summer and weather it, which shouldn't be a problem because she's got excellent technique on her jumps. Liza T's not as powerful as Adelina but she packs a similar punch. Her 3-3 isn't as consistent as Adelina's but she's a very charismatic skater and in terms of fire and excitement, she takes the cake. If she wants to establish herself as a serious threat, she should look to work that 3A into her layout this season. Nothing says "I'm Here!" like a 3A and hers is lovely. As for Alena, I think it'll be more of the same: weird costumes, choreography and hair. I don't see her beating Adelina though...or Liza T on a good day either...

Mirai, Alissa and Rachael: Mirai is my favorite US lady. My hope is that her brain finally clicked into place at 4CC and that she'll begin skating like that more often. Hopefully she's gained some focus this summer and will bring that to competition next season. She's incredible and it's time she starts skating like it. I'd like to see a more mature Mirai this season. That's going to be what sets her apart from the newer girls and that's what she needs to sell. My fingers are crossed for her... Alissa had a great year last season and I hope to see her continue. I don't know how her nerves will hold up under the added pressure of tougher competition, but she's got nothing to lose at this point. Unfortunately, her lack of speed, soft nature and lack of difficulty will hurt her against more explosive and energetic skaters (Mirai, Adelina, Liza T, Kanako, etc.). As for Rachael, my hope is that she doesn't get lost in the shuffle. She lacks fire, appeal, etc. that other skaters have and if she doesn't come with some better programs this year, she could find herself getting the brush-off from the judges. It remains to be seen if any of the judges will hold her worlds performances against her.

Carolina had a wonderful year last season but I really would like to see her re-insert the difficulty back into her routines. Point is, whenever she skates, she scores big b/c she flies around out there at top speed, has lovely well-done programs and she has some of the best edges in skating. Still, I don't want to see her getting by with 3Ts, 3Lps, and 3Ss all next season...

Who would I like to see in the final?: Mao, Kanako, Carolina, Mirai, Adelina and Liza T...

Podium I would love to see?: Mirai, Mao, Adelina...

Of course, this is based on preference and nothing more...we'll have to wait to see what actually happens

vCash
    Both Adelina and Liza are clearly lacking in the PCS aspect but at list Tuk is skating to the music, which seems totally beyond Sot at this point.

With Sot, it seems like they are trying to give her this elegant, classical, balletic look but I don't feel her basics are strong enough to carry it at this point.

Tuk's programs suit her much better.

I don't know how much they are going to improve during the off-season, but if I was judging their last season's programs, their PCS would be clearly behind all the top Senior Ladies (no idea what the judges are going to do, though).

However, even with PCS far behind, if they land their jumps, they'll probably blow everyone else out of the water considering how inconsistent all the Senior Ladies tend to be.

This season's GP series is going to be extremely exciting to watch.

How are Tuk and Sot are going to be judged against senior ladies?

How is Lepisto's skating going to look after a whole season off with injury?

Will Mao come back strong with improved basics and technique?

Will Alissa be able to continue improving her consistency?

Will we see the flip and lutz solo and in combination back in Kostner's routines?

etc.

vCash
    I voted for Sotnikova because she seems to be on a roll and the judgse are absolutely enamoured with her. I see Kim/Asada kind of adoration from the judges in her senior debut season. However, I often see posters talk about her elegance but beyond straight extended leg line I actually don't see that much natural elegance in her skating. I do agree she has fabulous basics and power though. For me Tuktamysheva has a slight aritsitc advantage at this point. Her programs are more interestnig and like some have mentioend, she actually skates to the music. As for the GPF, I'd love to see Kostner, Asada and Suzuki there.

vCash
    No one seems to talk about Ksenia or Ashley so I will root for them to make it to the final and hope them to win medals no matter how slim the chances are.

vCash
    My heart goes with Leonova but my brain voted Sotnikova.

I prefer Leonova's (& Tuktamysheva's) emotion and musicality but, as others have pointed out, Sotnikova is on a roll & judges love her. I don't know if others have noticed that Sotnikova 'pushes' through her programs like a zombie, much as her coach, Elena Vodorezova, used to do in her competitive days. I was just watching my DVDs of the '76 Olys and '82 and '83 Worlds last night and it struck me just how much Vodorezova has transfered her 'style' to Sotnikova...stroke-stroke-stroke and jump-jump-jump through the music with glazed eyes. (This was very much the style of Vodo's coach, Stanislav Zhuk, by the way - also for his pairs...push through and 'get the job done'.) The sad thing is that both Vodorezova & Sotnikova have/had gorgeous ballerina-like physiques, which could have lent themselves to better choreography and musicality.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 07-28-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Sotnikova's Saint Saens program seems so slow and boring. I know she can do the triple lutz triple loop, but she needs to do more than that. However, I really like her Y spiral-double axel in her short program.

vCash
    Who will be qualifyed ??? lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    t struck me just how much Vodorezova has transfered her 'style' to Sotnikova...stroke-stroke-stroke and jump-jump-jump through the music with glazed eyes.
    Do you think Sotnikova would benefit from a coaching change?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I just want someone, anyone, to step it up and revive womens skating. Last year was the worst year for womens skating since 1982. Someone needs to step up and take control again, and set the bar for others.
    I think the watching of skating is more exciting if there is no certain skater who is taking control.

vCash
    I disagree. When you have a skater come along that rejuvenate's the sport it's usually for the best. The competition has no choice but to get better or get left behind. Mediocrity isn't good for any sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I think the watching of skating is more exciting if there is no certain skater who is taking control.
    I agree...it sort of got boring when Kim lead the short by 13 points, faltered in the free, but still won via the SP.

vCash
    Well if someone came up to Kim's 08-2010 level that would have been alot better than Kim, Asada, and the other leaders coming way down to Miki Ando's level or lower. Even competition is good but only if it is skating that isnt 55% the standard of a year ago, and the standard of medal winning free skating of the early 80s.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I voted for Michelle.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I agree...it sort of got boring when Kim lead the short by 13 points, faltered in the free, but still won via the SP.
    Which happened three times in her senior career (victory via the SP).

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'm afraid for now that I agree with kwanatic:

I agree with icellist. It's always pointless to start predicting the GPF winner when the series hasn't even started yet. Skating is so unpredictable and people change from season to season. At this point, all we have to go off of is what happened last season. For that reason, I'll just give my hopes for next season's GP.
    I missed Worlds and have some catching up to do. It's always been apparent, however, that predicting isn't as easy as it seems because someone that we least suspect ends up winning the GPF. At least that's the way it is for me.

With that in mind, I wish all the skaters the best. I may vote in this thread a little later since things seem so unpredictable for now.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I voted for Michelle.
    And I voted for Purple.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Do you think Sotnikova would benefit from a coaching change?
    Somebody else than Tarasova doing her choreo. Luv you Tats but 'tis time to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I disagree. When you have a skater come along that rejuvenate's the sport it's usually for the best. The competition has no choice but to get better or get left behind. Mediocrity isn't good for any sport.
    We're going to have two extremely talented young skaters on the GP that the seniors are going to have to start catching up to jump-wise.

How is that mediocrity?

And there's more of them coming up in the upcoming seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I voted for Michelle.
    Damn! Can I change my vote?

I agree that Liza T has better musicality than Adelina, but the judges are going to be looking for a skater that doesn't look like a junior and, unfortunately for Liza T, she looks like a junior. As I said, hopefully she hit a growth spurt and will make a transformation a la Polina Shelepen, who went from small and gangly to somewhat statuesque-looking in one summer. It would help her presence on the ice and her speed, height, etc. Liza T isn't as polished as Adelina appears to be...but that may (well, should) change with time.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of either of their programs yet and I have yet to see the artistry/expression glimmer for either of them. I will say that Liza T is good for playing out to the audience when she skates, but I have yet to see artistry from her...Adelina is very controlled and elegant in her movements which really made her stand out among the far less controlled and awkward juniors last season. To me, that's what really set her apart...oh, and those freakin' huge jumps!

I think Adelina is coming in as the favorite newbie, so her scores will probably be higher than the average incoming senior. Still, she does need work on her technique, spins, and overall packaging (ie. music, choreography, costume, etc.). But I have to say I prefer Adelina's style to Liza T's style...for now anyway.

vCash
    Umm, maybe Christina will win the GPF? You never know, and her icenetwork bio was updated recently and though she had a big growthspurt last season, she is only now listed as 5'4" so I really don't think her height will be an issue at all. Also her FS is to "Libertango" which I'm not thrilled about cause it's overused, but I do think that music suits her so we shall see. I'd love to at least see her IN the final and think there is a definite possibly of that (the winning part I know is far fetched but her 3f-3t is her friend and could potentially get her pretty far).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast