Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 477
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,085
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    "Rehab" is tragically ironic, innit?
    The radio station I was listening to this morning announced the news about Amy's death. And then played Rehab.

  2. #62
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I was never a fan. I think she was amazingly talented and had a unique voice. But, Rehab angered me. It seemed so self indulgent and irresponsible. It worried me that she was almost sanctioning not getting help. So, for that reason, I had a problem listening to her. It was painful to see someone so ill, who so clearly needed rehab, singing No, No, No.
    We've been through this before. She was *not* singing a song about how nobody ever should get help. It was a song about her own experience, not telling everyone else to do the same. Can you maybe show some respect to her talent and give this a rest for today at least?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,967
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16934
    Hopefully now she can find some peace.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    5,779
    vCash
    470
    Rep Power
    3403
    RIP, Amy. The demons can't get you anymore.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

  5. #65
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    This is my favorite song of hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM and the one that got me interested in her work. It has a wonderful retro sound combined with the uniqueness of her voice.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,075
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It was painful to see someone so ill, who so clearly needed rehab, singing No, No, No.
    You know, you could always read the entire lyrics as well as check what they were about instead of giving us a Fox News-like knee-jerk reaction to words taken out of context.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This is my favorite song of hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM and the one that got me interested in her work. It has a wonderful retro sound combined with the uniqueness of her voice.
    Tears Don't Dry On Their Own was my favourite.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,619
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15002
    I thought Rehab was about Amy not wanting to go to Rehab. What was the actual meaning of the song, then? I am the first to admit I like music for its melodies and what I hear, I rarely listen to lyrics and often times am surprised by certain songs meanings that everyone but me seems to know. If the song was about HER experience (I agree, it wasn't about what everyone should do) then I don't see how cruisin's post was wrong about her clearly needing rehab but saying "no, no no..."
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  8. #68

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,374
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1941
    I loved Back to Black, and also Love is a Losing Game. Rehab kind of made it big because it was so ironic, but it wasn't her best work.

    She was working on another album so I imagine we'll hear some more stuff in the coming months. Sad - it was supposed to be her comeback album.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  9. #69
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2068
    Horribly sad, but, as others have said, sadly not without surprise for me as well.

    RIP Ms. Winehouse.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,272
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    Back to Black was my fave.

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,097
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I heard that she died on CNN today and my reaction was that I knew it would happen soon. But it is terribly sad. She was so talented and had a great voice.
    And the 27 club! So weird that so many artists died at that age.
    I remember us talking about this a couple of years ago, she was 25 and we talked about how she might die at 27 like so many before her.
    RIP Amy, I hope you are singing with that big band in the sky.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    We've been through this before. She was *not* singing a song about how nobody ever should get help. It was a song about her own experience, not telling everyone else to do the same. Can you maybe show some respect to her talent and give this a rest for today at least?
    So, basically pick up on that and ignore everything else I said. And I did not say she was telling anyone anything, I said "It worried me that she was almost sanctioning not getting help." I knew it was about her, but often fans listen to what their idols say. It is enormously sad that she is gone, but it didn't have to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You know, you could always read the entire lyrics as well as check what they were about instead of giving us a Fox News-like knee-jerk reaction to words taken out of context.
    Fox News-like, are you for real? Okay, I'll bite: why don't you enlighten us on what the song was about. Maybe, if she'd gotten the help she needed her life would not have ended so tragically.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I thought Rehab was about Amy not wanting to go to Rehab. What was the actual meaning of the song, then? I am the first to admit I like music for its melodies and what I hear, I rarely listen to lyrics and often times am surprised by certain songs meanings that everyone but me seems to know. If the song was about HER experience (I agree, it wasn't about what everyone should do) then I don't see how cruisin's post was wrong about her clearly needing rehab but saying "no, no no..."
    Thank you, I don't see where I said anything wrong. The girl was horribly troubled and in a great deal of pain. It's a real shame that no one got it.

  13. #73
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    Who else died at 27?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  14. #74
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,652
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    15573
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Who else died at 27?
    Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain, among a whole list of other "lesser knowns" according to Wikipedia
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,788
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2672
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I loved Back to Black, and also Love is a Losing Game. Rehab kind of made it big because it was so ironic, but it wasn't her best work.

    She was working on another album so I imagine we'll hear some more stuff in the coming months. Sad - it was supposed to be her comeback album.
    Completely Agree. I first time I heard and listened to the entire CD of Back to Black, the title song just floored me. Her lyrics were so raw and truthful and her freaking voice is so soulful.Back to Black is a modern masterpiece!!!

    The lyrics are heartfelt and rich. I play the CD from top and bottom, love Mr and Mr Jones, My tears dry on their own(it is a classic) and Wake up Alone.

    I enjoyed the CD Frank too. Love F**k Me Pumps

    F**k Me Pumps
    Me and Mr. Jones

    I was hoping she would recover, so sad I will miss this talented artist.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

  16. #76
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain, among a whole list of other "lesser knowns" according to Wikipedia
    Yikes.

    I always wanted to see what she looked like behind the beehive and the eyeliner, so I Googled her childhood pictures. This is what I found. Such intensity for a small child!

    Back To Black is awesome. Her work clearly shows how tortured she was. I don't know a lot about her music but to my ear I hear a lot of American blues influence.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 07-23-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  17. #77
    Main Offender
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,088
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3107
    First the terror in Norway, now Amy...worst weekend ever

    RIP Amy! You'll never be forgotten! Now the demons can't get you anymore. I hope you find peace wherever you are now. And say hi to Jimi, Janis, Jim and Kurt! Show 'em how to rock heaven!

    Still can't believe it...her music was one of the main things which got me through when I was going through a hard break-up last year. It really gave me strenghth and that's why I'll always have a very emotional connection to Amy Winehouse.
    Love her!
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

    Bruce Lee

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,385
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2563
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    The girl was horribly troubled and in a great deal of pain. It's a real shame that no one got it.
    I think everyone got it, but she didn't.

  19. #79
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19409
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I think everyone got it, but she didn't.
    And the vicious circle may have been facilitated by her mental disease. If she indeed was an unmedicated bipolar, her disease may have prevented her from seeking help. Often when bipolars are on their manic swing, they feel, invulnerable, full of energy and creativity.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,788
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2672
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Still can't believe it...her music was one of the main things which got me through when I was going through a hard break-up last year. It really gave me strenghth and that's why I'll always have a very emotional connection to Amy Winehouse.
    Love her!
    My Tears Dry on Their Own Lyrics.


    My Tears Dry On Their Own Lyrics...
    I don't understand,
    Why do I stress A man,
    When there's so many bigger things at hand,
    We could a never had it all,
    We had to hit a wall,
    So this is inevitable withdrawal,
    Even if I stop wanting you,
    A Perspective pushes true,
    I'll be some next man's other woman soon,

    I shouldn't play myself again,
    I should just be my own best friend,
    Not **** myself in the head with stupid men,
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •