Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Based on her latest disastrous perfomances and numerous rumors of her being totally addicted to drugs, I'm afraid it was only a question of time...
    Such a waste of talent...

Condolences to her family.

RIP, Amy!
    !יהי זכרך ברוך
    Last edited by Eden; 07-23-2011 at 08:19 PM.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    OMG... RIP. I loved her music...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Anyway, what drugs was she addicted to?
    Sounds like it was heroin, crack and booze. She allegedly was also in the early stages of emphysema, according to wiki. I remember reading something about that a couple of years ago.

vCash
    Is she a one-hit wonder? I honestly can't remember any song of hers beyond Rehab. I remember thinking the song was funny at first but when I read about her lifestyle, I stopped thinking that

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Such an overstatement.
    Not a huge one actually. She was better than almost anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Sounds like it was heroin, crack and booze. She allegedly was also in the early stages of emphysema, according to wiki. I remember reading something about that a couple of years ago.
    I recall very well when she was diagnosed with emphysema, at the time her family really pushed to take her off drugs but I guess it wasn't enough. I watched an episode of "Never mind the buzzcocks" where she showed up and she was painful to watch, she kept asking to have another drink... it wasn't funny.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Is she a one-hit wonder?
    No
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Is she a one-hit wonder? I honestly can't remember any song of hers beyond Rehab. I remember thinking the song was funny at first but when I read about her lifestyle, I stopped thinking that
    Back to Black is probably her most famous song. Her voice was spectacular.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    Not a huge one actually. She was better than almost anyone.
    In other words, you agree with WindSpirit in that Winehouse is/was not the "only modern young singer that was worth something". Since we're talking musical merits, though the voice was 100% unique and I consider Back to Black to be a pop classic (with a now-spooky funeral video), I found AW's music to be mostly messy - like her life.

But, more importantly than our opinion of her music and addictions, Amy was a human with people who loved her, and this is a tragedy. RIP.
    Last edited by Beefcake; 07-23-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Such an overstatement.
    For me, anyway.
    I'm very picky with my music, and she was literally the only singer who appeared on my radar after 2000 that I found really talented, special and above all - simply enjoyable.

I don't claim this view is universal. And anyway, * infinity
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    For me, anyway.
    I'm very picky with my music, and she was literally the only singer who appeared on my radar after 2000 that I found really talented, special and above all - simply enjoyable.

I don't claim this view is universal. And anyway, * infinity
    That's how I feel too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I am extremely extremely upset.

It's funny, isn't it. We've all seen it coming, yet it comes as a complete shock...

Amy was an exceptional, extraordinary artist.

All this makes me wonder about the link between artistic sensibility/genius and high levels of neuroticism and psychoticism (whatever you define them as)...

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    They weren't out deliberately trying to destroy themselves.
    Blaming the victim much?

They were (Britney still is) extremely troubled individuals. Exactly like Amy.

Is she a one-hit wonder? I honestly can't remember any song of hers beyond Rehab.
    Please...

"Back to Black" is one of the greatest records released so far in the 21st century, hands down.

vCash
    How very tragic. RIP.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    She was a one hit wonder as far as US radio airplay but her album as a whole was amazing and there is a reason it won Pop Vocal album and was nominated for Album of the Year.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

All this makes me wonder about the link between artistic sensibility/genius and high levels of neuroticism and psychoticism (whatever you define them as)...
    Welcome to my senior thesis. There are many books on the subject, some breaking down a specific psychiatric diagnosis and it's relation to a particular vocation. For instance, I've read that psychosis is more common in poets and depression in writers as compared to the general population.

Also, this is a good treatment of manic depression (among Winehouse's diagnoses) Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament.

There are many other books on the subject.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Welcome to my senior thesis. There are many books on the subject, some breaking down a specific psychiatric diagnosis and it's relation to a particular vocation. For instance, I've read that psychosis is more common in poets and depression in writers as compared to the general population.

Also, this is a good treatment of manic depression (among Winehouse's diagnoses) Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament.

There are many other books on the subject.
    I once asked my therapist if my OCD and neurosis helped to make me an artist, or if being an artist made me OCD and neurotic. It's a chicken/egg question. Artists do tend to be perfectionists who never see perfect in what they do, it can be anxiety inducing.

I was never a fan. I think she was amazingly talented and had a unique voice. But, Rehab angered me. It seemed so self indulgent and irresponsible. It worried me that she was almost sanctioning not getting help. So, for that reason, I had a problem listening to her. It was painful to see someone so ill, who so clearly needed rehab, singing No, No, No.

vCash
    Feck. Heard it on twitter earlier an was hoping it wasn't true. Back to Black is an amazing album, one of my all-time favourites.

vCash
    I loved her voice and would have been interested to hear her voice as she aged. Listening to Joni Mitchell in her youth and now is sometimes like listening to two different artisits. Gone too soon.

vCash
    "Rehab" is tragically ironic, innit?

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Sigh, another one in the "27" club ... no real surprise though. A public suicide in slow-motion.
    May she rest in peace.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast