Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    What a waste.

Yes. The type of stories it covers should be a clue.
    I don't know about the type of stories it covers. If I did, I wouldn't ask, would I?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    What a sad ending - such a shame that she couldn't be saved from her addictions

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice
    Considering Heath Ledger didn't die from abusing drugs and alcohol but an accidental medical reaction, mentioning him (and if she means Murphy, not Spears, that was also not a case of an addict OD'ing, her as well) seems a little tacky if the mother did say that.

The mom's quote is from 2008, while Britney was at the height (nadir?) of her downward spiral, so I think it was a fair assumption at that point that Spears might not make it. Brittany Murphy was still alive.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Considering Heath Ledger didn't die from abusing drugs and alcohol but an accidental medical reaction, mentioning him (and if she means Murphy, not Spears, that was also not a case of an addict OD'ing, her as well) seems a little tacky if the mother did say that. They weren't out deliberately trying to destroy themselves.

Suffice to say, I doubt any of the wire services actually had to write an obit and just had one on standby. No surprise to anyone. What a complete waste of talent.
    I think Winehouse was an accident as well. Addicts are destroying themselves, but that is not the deliberate goal. They simply cannot stop and usually don't believe that they will actually die. I can't speak to Brittany Murphy, I don't know if she had a problem with drugs or alcohol. However, Heath Ledger, most likely, did. He was not just using prescribed meds, he was using other, very dangerous recreational drugs, as well.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't know about the type of stories it covers. If I did, I wouldn't ask, would I?
    Well, you somehow managed to find a link the paper itself.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    It's initially shocking... and then not. Still, you don't REALLY think it's going to happen.

I met her a few times in 2008; I used to live in Camden (where she lived) literally two streets down from her. We used to drink in the same pub, so I'd seen her many times; it was right around the time of "Back to Black". The time which sticks out to me most was one weekday afternoon; she was literally stumbling around the place in a pair of TINY denim hot pants, mumbling to herself. She came up to me and told me I had wicked hair (at the time I had a blond mohican) and then just walked behind the bar and helped herself to a drink. She was barefoot and looked like she hadn't washed in about a week. Of course, at the time it was AMAZING. I remember telling all my mates that "Amy Winehouse thinks I have amazing hair" Now I look back, it was a sad, sad sight... (her, not my hair.)

RIP Amy - what a wasted talent.

Vacant
    vCash
    Complete waste of a life and such incredible talent. But the saddest thing is that this was so utterly predictable.

vCash
    Oh no!!

vCash
    she was supposed to have a concert in Poland next Saturday, before the whole tour was cancelled...and I was going to see her live...
    I expected such news, but deep inside I had a little hope that she would overcome her addiction(s)...

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    She probably Googled the story and it was one of the first links. At least that's how I found Daily Mail a few years ago.

I have no problem admitting I read it regularly. It's my "Don't have to think/read simple stories with lots of pictures" when I'm eating my breakfast. Not interesting in gossip so much, but they do have quite a few interesting news stories usually. Of course they try to pretend they're not a tabloid quite a bit, which makes me chuckle.

Anyway, I saw the news about Amy Winehouse on FSU. I have no patience for hardcore addicts but nevertheless it's a very sad story. R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    and if rock and roll has taught us anything, it's that 27 is a dangerous age for stars with substance abuse issues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
    That is seriously weird. And sad. R.I.P.

(Now I think of it, my favorite cousin also died at 27. Heart attack. I have a minor heart issue or two myself, and for a while I had a sort of superstitious fear that I wasn't going to make it past the age that she did!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I'm huge fan of hers, and it's devastating she couldn't get her life together. Such a talent.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    That is seriously weird. And sad. R.I.P.
    Weird, but more the human mind needing to look for a pattern. (Then again, maybe they all made the same deal as Robert Johnson claimed, on and off, to have made, and they just had to pay up in appropriate ways.)

(Just kidding, mostly, though he repeated the crossroads story himself.)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    WindSpirit has it right: I googled Amy Winehouse dead and it came up at the top of the search. I clicked, read the article and posted.

Anyway, what drugs was she addicted to?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She's gone to the great rehab in the sky...

RIP

vCash
    One of the few female singers I actually listen to. The music industry had already moved on to Amy replacements and yet I was still hoping somehow she would turn her life around... I guess they knew better. Seeing it coming doesn't make it any less sad, RIP.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think Winehouse was an accident as well. Addicts are destroying themselves, but that is not the deliberate goal. They simply cannot stop and usually don't believe that they will actually die. I can't speak to Brittany Murphy, I don't know if she had a problem with drugs or alcohol. However, Heath Ledger, most likely, did. He was not just using prescribed meds, he was using other, very dangerous recreational drugs, as well.
    The thing with Ledger is that it was very sudden. Work-wise, he was on the top of his game. His Oscar-winning role as the Joker was his last complete performance and he'd been shooting another movie mere days before. There was no indication on the outside that he had a problem.

Winehouse hasn't been a functioning musician for years. We've known for a long time that she had severe issues, and basically watched her slowly kill herself. So this is not a surprise at all, just sad.

God, I hope her dad doesn't find out at the airport waiting for his baggage or something.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash

She was probably the only modern young singer that was worth something
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    God, I hope her dad doesn't find out at the airport waiting for his baggage or something.
    I was watching the Norway news on the BBC news channel when the news about Amy Winehouse broke, and one of the first things they reported is that her father was trying to fly back to London. I had the impression he knew? I'm sure if he didn't know before boarding a flight, they would have contacted him and told him on board or soon after landing.

I'm sure that it was on tv before all family and friends knew though, which is sad
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    She was probably the only modern young singer that was worth something
    Such an overstatement.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast