vCash

What eaglet release live

I didn't want this to get lost in the Eagle Cam thread. And I messed up this title - supposed to be "Watch eaglet release live".

The three Norfolk eaglets were removed from their nest in April when Mom was killed by an aircraft and it was decided that Dad could not care for them.
    (side note: Dad is still hanging around his stomping grounds at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens and it is hoped he will have a new mate in the fall )

The kids have been at the Wildlife Center of Virginia and are doing well. They will be released into the wild on July 27th and the TV station that has been providing the web cam feed, both while they were at the original nest in the Gardens and at their flight pen at the Wildlife Center, will be broadcasting their release live.

There is also another chance for some grant $$ for the Wildlife Center. The Eagle Rare whiskey company has a competition every year and Ed Clark, the president of WCV is in the running. There are lots of fine charities in the race.

At the end of the voting, 7 finalists will be selected from the top 20 nominees that receive votes. One of those 7 finalists will be chosen as the Grand Prize 2012 Rare Life Award winner. The Grand Prize winner will have $20,000 donated by Eagle Rare in his/her name to the charity of his/her choice. Eagle Rare will also host a local award reception for the Grand Prize award winner. Eagle Rare will also donate $2,000 to the other 6 finalists charities' of choice in their name.
    Last edited by Sassafras; 07-23-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: The title was supposed to be "Watch eaglet release live"
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    I lost interest when the babies were removed from the nest. I really gripes me that these people pretend to really care about eagles & then arbitrarily decide what's best for another them, without regard for feelings. IMO they didn't give dad a chance. IIRC he was feeding the babies. They should have left the babies there unless it became clear they were suffering. I really felt bad for the dad, not knowing where his family went. Besides the babies were half grown by then & didn't need so much care.

vCash
    Actually, the chances of Dad being able to feed three growing eaglets and himself and defend the nest were very slim. The Division of Wildlife did not take the relocation of the eaglets lightly when the decision was made. Your position was my initial thought, too, but after reading more information and following the blog for three months, I changed my mind.

With all the severe weather during nesting season across the country this year, any they can save is fine with me. The Wildlife Center, where the eaglets were taken, has been doing animal rescue for over thirty years. I think at this point they know what they are doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    The Wildlife Center, where the eaglets were taken, has been doing animal rescue for over thirty years. I think at this point they know what they are doing.
    Like the people who catch killer whales & dolphins for human entertainment? Killer whales, like eagles, mate for life, so removing a mate without any compunction really steams me. I will never go to any Sea World type place. (And I had this belief long before Free Willy which I never saw anyway. How hypocritical...they used a captive whale to star in the movie.) The fact that the male eagle is still looking for his mate/family is really heartbreaking. And who is going to teach those eagles to hunt & survive on their own? The male eagle would have done this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I really felt bad for the dad, not knowing where his family went.
    He's a bird. He'll get over it.

vCash
    Release of Eagles from NBG occurred yesterday with 2 of the 3 eagles successful in their launches. The female eagle NX, who was selected to carry a transmitter did not gain enough altitude and will be taken back to VA Wildlife Center for about 2 weeks. It was said she was too hot and tired, so they'll give her a rest. Here's the news video from the release site....there were actually 5 eagles released that day.

Eagle Release footage

vCash
    I was out hiking during the release (saw a bear cub!). Happy to be able to watch the video clips.