Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I am always a little and by these lists. There has been and always will be a 100 things your kids will not know about. It's called progress. To state that our generation is better off because we did certain things is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    And video stores are definitely disappearing. Blockbusters Canada recently went under and several independents are shutting down. Two 'artsy' type independents which were neighbourhood traditions for many, many years shut down in this past year.

Where are people going to get their movies now? Apparently Rogers isn't expanding. Netflicks for $8.00 a month plus tax and fees, etc., doesn't appear to me. And can you actually store the movies on a computer and watch on a TV screen with the proper toy?
    In my part of the United States everyone uses Redbox. They're little kiosks located all over town at drugstores, McDonald's, etc. You can use your credit card to rent movies for 99 cents a night. I also stream my Netflix through my Roku player. Others stream it through their gaming system. I can also connect my laptop to my television and use it as a monitor. Netflix is about to start charging separate fees for streaming and receiving DVDs, so I might cancel it when that happens, unless they can add more new releases to their streaming.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I get DVDs from the library.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Re: movies...there ain't *nothin* you can't get on the internet these days.

I also have a few friends with Apple TV, which has a huge movie selection. The only way I see movies are in the theater, on TV, or because a friend has downloaded it somewhere. Once in a blue moon, I watch something on DVD that I've bought or has been lent to me, but I haven't set foot in a video rental store in years.

There are a lot of things on the list I don't think will go away entirely. Recently mentioned, manual car locks and windows--I still have those on my 1999 vehicle, and they'll remain on vintage cars for a long time. When I think about things my kids will never know, I always come back to the Internet--they won't be able to fathom what it was like to not have the Internet and all its conveniences, just like I can't imagine a world without electricity.

vCash
    "47.Archie searches"

What does that mean? Nevermind, I used a search engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_search_engine

ETA: Cool! There are Jughead and Veronica engines too!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughead_(search_engine) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_(computer)

Not Archie comic books - My kids buy them all the time at Harris-Teeter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I have a landline because my house sits in a dead zone. I have to walk to the end of a 90 foot driveway to make a call on my cell phone. Also, if we lose power for days or weeks due to a hurricane there's no easy way to charge it.
    We have unreliable signals at home, as well. And we can only get service from Verizon or U.S. Cellular, no other companies have towers in our county. And I still know plenty of people who live in rural areas without access to a reliable cell signal and have landlines.

vCash
    Re: movies...there ain't *nothin* you can't get on the internet these days.
    We tried using a free program (Bit Torrent I think) to download movies but it gave us a virus, so that was the end of that]

Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    In my part of the United States everyone uses Redbox. They're little kiosks located all over town at drugstores, McDonald's, etc. You can use your credit card to rent movies for 99 cents a night. I also stream my Netflix through my Roku player. Others stream it through their gaming system. I can also connect my laptop to my television and use it as a monitor. Netflix is about to start charging separate fees for streaming and receiving DVDs, so I might cancel it when that happens, unless they can add more new releases to their streaming.
    I've never heard of Redbox but would be fine paying an per-movie fee to Neflix. How is the quality when you transfer the stream to you TV screen?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I am always a little and by these lists. There has been and always will be a 100 things your kids will not know about. It's called progress. To state that our generation is better off because we did certain things is
    Who is saying we are better off? Some advancements are for the better, some are not. Long distance phone calls are way more affordable today than they were in decades past, and that's a good thing. And there are many, many wonderful things about computers and the information highway.

After WWII, there were many advancements in appliances and packaged food products. My mum loved, loved loved them all: dishwasher, mix-master, electric can opener, Campbells' soups, cheez wheez, etc. It

However, I remember a friend whose mother insisted on using a ringer washer instead of an electric because it did a better job of cleaning clothes. And I think that the washing machines of today remain inferior to the old ringer washer.

There is always something lost as technology advances. I certainly don't have any desire to return to using a typewriter - I remember being so excited when I got my first electric one - but think the general quality of writing has declined due to the computer. And attention spans are smaller.

And while many new, cheap technologies are wonderful, they have built-in obsolescence. The household I grew up in had the same TV and two telephones for 30 years!! Today TVs and phones are out-dated quickly and break down within a few years.

And one personal quibble of mine about advancements in the telephone is that you can't get hold of anyone on the phone anymore. People turn their cell phones off and don't listen to their messages, if they even have a message box. And any company you call has a voice mail system in place - you used to be able to call a government office and actually talk to someone in the government.

Another change not totally for the better is that so many children recreate with TV and technology. When I was a kid we played outside and found things to do. Sure, we didn't develop the technological skills that kids have today. But I think we may been more imaginative (or imaginative in a different way) and less materialistic.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 07-30-2011 at 10:02 AM.

vCash
    ^^^Good post. The other problem with "high-tech" stuff is that it's great and it makes the job easier... until it breaks! And then you are completely screwed if that is the only method you have to get the job done. Where I work, for instance, all the sales work is done on the computer - looking up pricing, writing quotes, releasing the actual orders and printing out the paperwork the shop uses to select/cut the steel, and closing out and billing the order. If the computers go down, and the server needs to be re-booted or what-have-you, we're SOL. Everything in that office is done on computer, not just sales, so the whole work day comes to a halt until the computers are up again.

vCash
    Another change not totally for the better is that so many children recreate with TV and technology. When I was a kid we played outside and found things to do. Sure, we didn't develop the technological skills that kids have today. But I think we may been more imaginative (or imaginative in a different way) and less materialistic.
    This is SO true! When I was a kid, we were constantly outside playing with our friends. In the car, we talked and laughed with each other, or played road games.

Now my sisters literally have to kick their kids outside to play, only to have the kids come inside soon after, proclaiming they're "bored". They don't know how to play kick the can, turn a bike upside-down and pretend it's an ice cream machine, or play games while on a long car trip like spotting different states' license plates. Wow, typing that even seemed boring. But it's true, and I can't help but feel they're missing out. Not to mention that they also don't get the exercise they need sometimes.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    ^^^Good post. The other problem with "high-tech" stuff is that it's great and it makes the job easier... until it breaks! And then you are completely screwed if that is the only method you have to get the job done. Where I work, for instance, all the sales work is done on the computer - looking up pricing, writing quotes, releasing the actual orders and printing out the paperwork the shop uses to select/cut the steel, and closing out and billing the order. If the computers go down, and the server needs to be re-booted or what-have-you, we're SOL. Everything in that office is done on computer, not just sales, so the whole work day comes to a halt until the computers are up again.
    True, but how often does this REALLY happen? My company's work is all done on the computer as well, and whereas we have the very occasional outage, it's not long and it's not really THAT inconvenient. If your computers are going down on any regular basis, then that's a much bigger issue with your infrastructure than basic technology "breaking".

And to touch on Japanfan's point, I still think it might come back to the parents not letting kids recreate with technology too much. I'm 32 and my parents bought our first computer when I was 3. We've always had one and I've always been a computer and gaming geek. But I had a very healthy balance of playing outside, being on the computer and watching TV. I totally believe that's still possible to do nowadays. But too many parents are using the Playstation and TV and iPad to keep their kids entertained and out of their hair. I have no problem with technology being a form of entertainment for kids (AND adults), but when it becomes the only form of entertainment and recreation is when it becomes a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    True, but how often does this REALLY happen? My company's work is all done on the computer as well, and whereas we have the very occasional outage, it's not long and it's not really THAT inconvenient. If your computers are going down on any regular basis, then that's a much bigger issue with your infrastructure than basic technology "breaking".
    Luckily, it doesn't happen that often, but when something happens, it's a real annoyance. Like last Thursday, when I was supposed to be filling in for my boss, which is a PITA enough, and I get to work and find I had to work with IT to get the invoices to print (they were generated but wouldn't print or email), and the girl who normally takes care of that took a half-day (she comes in at 4:00 AM to do the shipping). This, on top of the work that is normally on my own plate every morning. Plus the IT guy is a real ass-hole, one of the people who thinks he knows More About Computers Than Everyone Else Working Here, so having to work in tandem with him was no pleasure.

I'm 32 and my parents bought our first computer when I was 3. We've always had one and I've always been a computer and gaming geek. But I had a very healthy balance of playing outside, being on the computer and watching TV. I totally believe that's still possible to do nowadays. But too many parents are using the Playstation and TV and iPad to keep their kids entertained and out of their hair. I have no problem with technology being a form of entertainment for kids (AND adults), but when it becomes the only form of entertainment and recreation is when it becomes a problem.
    3?! Damn, my parents didn't buy their first computer until I was 19 (I'm 36, so that would be 1994), good old HP 486 runnig DOS. My only exposure to computers before that was in school. Aside from buying us the Sears version of the Atari 2600 for Christmas 1981, my parents didn't shower (spoil) us with all the "latest" technological do-dads like Colecovision, Intellivision, Nintendo and the like. Nor did we ever get cable, and my parents still don't have it. No trips to Disneyworld, either.

Nope, it was bike riding, going swimming 5 days a week at the "Y", trips to the grandparents' houses for overnight stays (sometimes an entire week for me! ), and for my brothers - Boy Scout camping trips (coupled with trips to NOAC every 2 years). I would go to the library and bring home 10-15 books at a time, read them all within 3 weeks, and go back for more.

When I started getting seriously into cycling last year, it was the first time I had felt anything like a kid in years. And it doesn't hurt that I can still ride the same 12-speed my parents bought for me when I was 13 (they always said they wouldn't buy me an "expensive" bike until they were sure I wouldn't grow out of it - little did they know I'd still be riding it 23 years later!). That activity was part of the reason I decided to strip my cable TV down to the most basic level - I was riding (and contra dancing) so much that I didn't have time to be a couch potato, plus I've lost almost 40 pounds in the last year because of that.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 07-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well, in the past year my office has had to close twice because of storm-induced power outages, once for more than a full day. But in that case it affected the lights, the air circulation, the elevator, etc., as well as just the computers, so even we still did most of our work on paper instead of online the office probably would have been closed those times and so were many other institutions in the affected area.

On the slightly less rare occasions when the power goes out or just the network goes out temporarily, either we hang around and chat or do what proofreading we can on paper by daylight in the areas with windows (i.e., not inside my office which has walls but no windows), and usually it's back up within half an hour to an hour. If not, we would go home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    ^This.

The server died at the school I used to teach at for two entire days one year. No access to grades, class lists, attendance, lunch count, email, no one could print tests, quizzes, handouts that were teacher generated because the server connected us to the printers...not too mention the dependence so many teachers' lessons had on the internet via the smartboard. It would have been just as easy to cancel school until it was up and running again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    The server died at the school I used to teach at for two entire days one year. No access to grades, class lists, attendance, lunch count, email, no one could print tests, quizzes, handouts that were teacher generated because the server connected us to the printers...not too mention the dependence so many teachers' lessons had on the internet via the smartboard. It would have been just as easy to cancel school until it was up and running again.
    Ah, yes, I remember the most fun () days at work were the two days when they were switching servers and switching to a new version of the program that "runs the show" for the company I work for. Why the hell the rest of us even had to come in at all stumps me, even 4 years after the fact. I couldn't do a damn bit of work, because all of my computer files, as are everyone else's, are on the server, not on a conventional PC hard drive sitting on my desk.

And then there was the East Coast Blackout... they sent us all home when that happened, considering it was so close to closing time as it was...

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    #57 - Typewriters

I bought a Typewriter right after I graduated from high school in 1976. It was an electric typewriter with a manual return. It came with an extra ink ribbon. I bought it from Sears for about $39 dollars. I still have the old typewriter and it still works. The only thing I didn't like about the typewriter was the manual return because it would make a loud bell (ding) sound when it came time to pull the return handle.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Who is saying we are better off? Some advancements are for the better, some are not.
    While that's true, that's also true of the past--some things were better, some things were not. That's just life unless someone finds Utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Somewhat different circumstances, but I am amazed at how many people cannot teach a class without the internet where I work. We don't have smart boards or even printers there; basically, we have laptops, internet access, whiteboards and immense pads of paper on easels.

EVERYTHING I do in class is on the internet, but if the internet is down, no biggie--I grab a whiteboard marker and go. If I have my own laptop (sometimes I do, most times I don't), I have everything stored there as well as on the school's server. But most of the people where I work are paralyzed when they can't get on the internet. Um, hello? People have been teaching for thousands of years without Powerpoint slides stored in the cloud somewhere and the internet is notoriously unstable where we are. Plan ahead and cope.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    EVERYTHING I do in class is on the internet, but if the internet is down, no biggie--I grab a whiteboard marker and go. If I have my own laptop (sometimes I do, most times I don't), I have everything stored there as well as on the school's server. But most of the people where I work are paralyzed when they can't get on the internet. Um, hello? People have been teaching for thousands of years without Powerpoint slides stored in the cloud somewhere and the internet is notoriously unstable where we are. Plan ahead and cope.
    I never had a problem. There is plenty to do in English without the web. And in history, sure...you might be missing some pics or a video clip that is online, but you can catch it later. Some teachers just couldn't function, though. Especially the newbies who had been taught in ed school to rely on all of that stuff completely.

vCash
    I don't know if this was on the list but...

- Pen and paper journaling. Anne Frank never had a blog, but she is the most famous diarist of all time, or at least of the 20th century. I recently went back to a pen and a blank book, because sometimes I want to write something, but am not near my computer. Or else I'm writing some random shit that isn't worthy of getting a userpic, mood icon, and tags attached to it.

I don't do Internet on my cell phone, nor do I want to - my upbringing makes me rather "so what" about possessing the "latest and greatest" gadgets, and besides, you know what they say about "combining" gadgets. When one part stops working...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I get DVDs from the library.
    Yes me too.I told my teenage daughter and she rolled her eyes as though she wouldn't set foot near a library.They are so much cheaper to rent from there too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast