Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Smile 100 Things Your Kids May never Know About

Here's one for the "old farts" on here. A nice little stroll down amnesia lane.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...er-know-about/

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't think recording a song in a studio is going anywhere. I know you can do all sorts of things with your laptops nowadays and buy really good microphones but 99.9% of artists go in to the studio to record their albums. I don't get that one, at all.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Maybe what they are referring to is paying for studio time in a professional studio, and utilizing a "professional" producer/engineer.

My friend Alex's band has been recording, producing and engineering and even mixing their own albums for the past 10 years, without paying for studio time. When he got married and he and his wife bought their house 3 years ago, they converted the top of the garage into a recording studio/rehearsal space.

vCash
    I'd say the kids are blessed if they never have to know about the original Spam. yuk!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Maybe what they are referring to is paying for studio time in a professional studio, and utilizing a "professional" producer/engineer.

My friend Alex's band has been recording, producing and engineering and even mixing their own albums for the past 10 years, without paying for studio time. When he got married and he and his wife bought their house 3 years ago, they converted the top of the garage into a recording studio/rehearsal space.
    I think you are right. Most people trying to make their own music can do it all on their own now. However, it is only a stepping stone. If you are signed by a label you will be thrown into a studio in 2 seconds flat. Besides, most people back in the day could not afford studio time and only played as a live band, often never recording any material.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It's true about answering machines. Ours' recently broke. It was a machine with four different mailboxes - press 1 for x, press 2 for y, etc. I only found one electronics store with a multiple mail box answering machine and it didn't work. In the end we found some second hand on Craig's List and bought several. . .

I wonder when landlines are going to disappear? Seems that they are used by older people/couples who don't want to pay the higher price for a cell and by businesses who don't want their staff using a phone they can turn off.

And video stores are definitely disappearing. Blockbusters Canada recently went under and several independents are shutting down. Two 'artsy' type independents which were neighbourhood traditions for many, many years shut down in this past year.

Where are people going to get their movies now? Apparently Rogers isn't expanding. Netflicks for $8.00 a month plus tax and fees, etc., doesn't appear to me. And can you actually store the movies on a computer and watch on a TV screen with the proper toy?

vCash
    I don't get number 87. Why would kids never know a pool with a diving board?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wustfan View Post
    Considering #79, I would guess lawsuits.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wustfan View Post
    A lot of pools are taking them out because of the fear of diving accidents in the form of people hitting the pool bottom. I remember back in 1987 when the pool where I had learned to swim took theirs out because the state of NY changed the allowable minimum depth to 14 feet, and this pool only had a maximum depth of 10 feet. I used to dive off that board a lot and I often would touch the bottom before surfacing.

One of our state parks, John B. Thacher, in recent years decided to redo the pool over completely and, as I understand it, they were not going to replace the diving boards. They had one, possibly two, 1 meter boards, and a 3 meter board, and I used to swim there very frequently. I don't even know if that project was ever finished, because 2 years ago we had the controversy over whether or not the state parks were even going to open for the summer (due to no $$ in the budget to run them) so I don't know the status of that new pool.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I wonder when landlines are going to disappear? Seems that they are used by older people/couples who don't want to pay the higher price for a cell and by businesses who don't want their staff using a phone they can turn off.
    I have a landline because my house sits in a dead zone. I have to walk to the end of a 90 foot driveway to make a call on my cell phone. Also, if we lose power for days or weeks due to a hurricane there's no easy way to charge it.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I'm getting so sick of my cell phone. I wouldn't be surprised if I got rid of it and got a landline instead after I graduate college, honestly. I've been thinking about it constantly. My plan runs out right after I graduate.

Don't most answering machines come built into the actual landline phones these days, anyway? Though I'm sad that they're hard to find. I was planning on getting my father one, as he won't ever get a cell phone and it's irritating to have to call and call until he picks up because I can't leave a message!

vCash
    I have a landline because my alarm service requires it. I would like to get rid of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I'm getting so sick of my cell phone. I wouldn't be surprised if I got rid of it and got a landline instead after I graduate college, honestly. I've been thinking about it constantly. My plan runs out right after I graduate.

Don't most answering machines come built into the actual landline phones these days, anyway? Though I'm sad that they're hard to find. I was planning on getting my father one, as he won't ever get a cell phone and it's irritating to have to call and call until he picks up because I can't leave a message!
    Our landline phones were getting so they wouldn't hold a charge so we got a new system at Walmart last week with 3 sets. It has a built in answering machine. Several of the brands there had them, like V-Tech & AT&T.

Sorry for the double post.

ETA: I still have my dad's old 16mm movie camera.

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    4. The number of TV channels being a single digit.

Landlord won't let us have a satellite dish and cable is not available. And our bandwidth is capped at 15 GB per month. So - we have 8 channels.

21. 5- and 3-inch floppies, Zip Discs and countless other forms of data storage.

Little skateycat just got a book from the library that was Magic School Bus Explores the Computer or something like that. It was published in 1996 and contains a page on how to dissect a floppy disk.

96. Libraries as a place to get books rather than a place to use the internet.

See above. Even with the 15 GB cap, the internet service is much better at our house, with no one kicking us off the computer after 30 minutes, except ourselves.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

bird is the word
    vCash
    75.LEGO just being square blocks of various sizes, with the odd wheel, window or door.

When I was growing up “Space” LEGO and Castle LEGO( maybe pirate as well) were the only themed ones. Gone are the days when you could just make a house
    "Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead." - Homer Simpson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Usually people with landlines get voice-mail with their service provider as part of bundle of features (call wait, caller ID, etc.). The messages are delivered and accessed on the phone. The reason I need an answering machines with multiple boxes is that I share the landline with my husband and run a business from my home.

For one person on his or her own, voicemail is usually all that is needed.

vCash
    You can leave a message when you call him, but he insists he doesn't have an answering machine. He probably has voicemail and doesn't even realize it and has no clue how to access it. But it's been years and I feel like it should have filled up by now?...

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    6.Rotary dial televisions with no remote control. You know, the ones where the kids were the remote control.

Ha, I forgot all about that. Suddenly I remember sitting on the floor in the living room and one of my parents saying "Southpaw! Turn it to Channel 2."
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Your parents called you Southpaw?

vCash
    To add to #91, having to manually roll down the car windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast