Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Has Anyone Ever Skated To "Pavane, Op. 50" by Gabriel Faure?

I am infamously bad for not knowing the names of musical pieces that skaters perform to, sometimes at competitions, I'll repeatedly ask those around me, "what is this music???" (Sometimes I even buy one of the books that lists the music being skated to...)

Anyway, I'm watching a movie right now called "Mr. Nobody" and I've started setting up subtitles to play even when English is the language being spoken. (It's sometimes amazing how much background dialogue one misses that subtitles provide for us.) At the end of one scene, Pavane Op. 50 begins (the subtitles provided the title...much thanks!) and I think to myself, "I know this...I like this!" And as I'm only into classical music through figure skating, I thought, "hmm...who did I see skate to this?"

I did a search here at FSU and didn't come up with anything other than many posters wishing someone would skate to it. But surely someone has skated to this? I must know this piece through figure skating (but if not, how...background music for some car commercial??)

Here's a youtube link to the piece...I'm listening to it for the second time right now (well, third if you include the version used in the movie...)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I am infamously bad for not knowing the names of musical pieces that skaters perform to, sometimes at competitions, I'll repeatedly ask those around me, "what is this music???" (Sometimes I even buy one of the books that lists the music being skated to...)

Anyway, I'm watching a movie right now called "Mr. Nobody" and I've started setting up subtitles to play even when English is the language being spoken. (It's sometimes amazing how much background dialogue one misses that subtitles provide for us.) At the end of one scene, Pavane Op. 50 begins (the subtitles provided the title...much thanks!) and I think to myself, "I know this...I like this!" And as I'm only into classical music through figure skating, I thought, "hmm...who did I see skate to this?"

I did a search here at FSU and didn't come up with anything other than many posters wishing someone would skate to it. But surely someone has skated to this? I must know this piece through figure skating (but if not, how...background music for some car commercial??)

Here's a youtube link to the piece...I'm listening to it for the second time right now (well, third if you include the version used in the movie...)
    I do wish someone would skate to it, have for a while now. It's so soft and ethereal.

vCash
    Me as well. I love this piece.

vCash
    It's a lovely piece of music but it may be too slow for effective skating music. La Sicilienne from Faure's incidental music for "Pelleas & Melisande" might be a better choice.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Steve Erquiaga did a more upbeat version of it on a Windham Hill album, "The Impressionists". I've always hoped someone would use it for ice dance.

There's a short sample on amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/Impressionists.../dp/B000000NJ9
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I don't think it's too slow--perhaps too repetitious for anything but a short program, a la East of Eden. It is awfully SAD music, though! (it was one of my go-to pieces during years of wallowing in depression. . . )

vCash
    It would need a good skater to do it, but I certainly don't think it too slow because it does have an underlying rhythm. You can hear and use a main 4/4 beat and then if you listen even harder you can find lots of 'and' beats to put in various places within the main 4. Use the beats for footwork and then the tune for long slow edges, and I can see something beautiful in my minds eye. I wish I had got all my data onto one database, instead of it just being on the DVD covers I make in Word to go with each year's 'best of' that I compile. It would make it so easy to search right back to 1982 to see if it has been used.

vCash
    I've wanted someone to skate to this for years! It's really is a wonderful piece but I agree, it would need a good skater or pair to perform to it well.

Someone like Carolina Kostner or Shen/Zhao would be up to a piece like Pavane.

vCash
    The ice dancers Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland (GBR) skated to the Myleene Klass version of Pavane in the 2009/2010 season.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDanceFan1 View Post
    The ice dancers Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland (GBR) skated to the Myleene Klass version of Pavane in the 2009/2010 season.
    Somehow it's just not quite the same......
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    What's tragic is S Club 7 sampled it years ago, and that's how I recognized it at first. Damn catchy pop music.

Amazing original piece, though!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    This is gorgeous. Right now I don't see anyone interpreting this properly other than Alissa. She has the flow and the above the blade grace to do this justice.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Josee Chouinard skated to this music in her 1990 long program (slow section). Not the best performance, but I have always loved this beautiful piece of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1SRExpeleM

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I've always hoped someone would use it for ice dance.
    I have listened to this song almost every day for several years and actually hoped that Delobel and Schoenfelder would skate to this in their final Olympics. I think it would have been a natural transition from The Piano and The Great Gig in the Sky.

This is the version I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=dm_mu_dp_trk9
    Last edited by LadyGray; 07-23-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Kostner Softie
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    She skated to "Songs from a Secret Garden" and "Libertango"

vCash
    Wikipedia says

"Lexi skates to Pavane at her first competition in the 2010 version of the film Ice Castles."