Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    It seems the acting thing was just a "testing of the waters" and not something that was a real fit for her. If she felt passionate about it the way she always was about skating, I'm sure she would have gone the audition route. But she passed that over.
    Huh? I'm sure Tara did everything she could possibly do to get an acting career going, but at some point she realized that it just wasn't going to happen and she needed to move on.

vCash
    Great interview. Tara is so well-spoken. While Michelle was the more polished skater, I always thought Tara had her own brand of artistry.

A lot of people like to say that her skating late in the Oly order worked to her advantage, but those long waits have taken down many a competitor. Interesting to hear that she was pretty much freaking out backstage and through her program. I was also impressed by her 3loop-3loop, as well as the 3toe-half loop-3sal at the very end of her program. I don't know if everyone appreciates how really difficult those elements are!

Glad she's enjoying the work as a commentator.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I wish AJ would have flat out asked her "If you lost Olys, would you still have retired?" Tara said she had made up her mind that she was retiring, but that was knowing that she'd won the gold. Would it have been different if it was silver? Wouldn't it have been interesting if the 2002 Nats had MK, Sasha, Sarah and Tara competing?

vCash
    That was an interesting insight into what kind of competitor she was. It's clear from her interview that she was an emotional but committed competitor and it showed. My only problem with Tara is that she left so quickly. She was on the scene as a threat for 2 years and then, just like that, was gone. True, she won everything there was to win...so why stay? But back then, the pro-circuit was very lucrative because skating was popular in the US, so I get why she left. Still, I do wonder what might have happened had she stayed in longer...

It's good that she's found something she loves and that she wants to be connected to the skating world again. Her commentary is pretty good, so I think she has a future in that. I got over Michelle not winning gold a long time ago, though I still think the judges got it wrong that night...I'm glad they did though. Who knows what may have happened if Michelle won that night? Would she have stayed in until SLC? If she won in SLC, would she have stayed around until 2005? I feel everything happens for a reason, so there's a reason why the fates smiled on Tara that night. That was their way to set Michelle on her path to becoming a legend...

So I'll just say what Michelle said to Tara at the press conference in Nagano: "Tara, I like you..." though I'll amend it to say, "I like you, now...kind of."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
    My only problem with Tara is that she left so quickly. She was on the scene as a threat for 2 years and then, just like that, was gone. True, she won everything there was to win...so why stay? But back then, the pro-circuit was very lucrative because skating was popular in the US, so I get why she left. Still, I do wonder what might have happened had she stayed in longer...
    I think everyone has different theories on why she left so soon, some more sinister than others. It would have been nice to see her compete more, since she was only 15 years old when she retired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I wish AJ would have flat out asked her "If you lost Olys, would you still have retired?" Tara said she had made up her mind that she was retiring, but that was knowing that she'd won the gold. Would it have been different if it was silver? Wouldn't it have been interesting if the 2002 Nats had MK, Sasha, Sarah and Tara competing?
    I think Tara would've tried to continue until SLC if she had finished 2nd in Nagano. She seemed more driven than most to finish at the top of the Olympic podium and wouldn't have settled for the silver. But I don't think she would have made it to SLC because of her hips injury. It's too bad she didn't go to the World after Nagano though. All she had to do was be consistent there, which she was very much always anyway, and she could've captured a 2nd World title.

vCash
    It's one of the most refreshing and informative interviews I've ever read about figure skating.

I'm just glad that the whole Tara/Michelle debate was far ahead of my time. They're both enjoying a fabulous life now, why some of the fans still can't get over it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I don't know if Tara would have been competitive for an Olympic spot in 2002. She had a growth spurt in between 1998-2002 and I think she had her hip surgery by then..I don't know if it would have been possible for her to stay competitive for another 4 years due to her injury...

vCash
    I agree. I think she would have burnt out rather quickly. She was fortunate to peak when she did, and went out on top. No better way to exit IMHO.

Look at Hughes (2002 champ) who tried to stay longer. She could not duplicate her SLC performance (predictably), and ultimately lost motivation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    All she had to do was be consistent there, which she was very much always anyway, and she could've captured a 2nd World title.
    Easier said than done. I bet if Cohen chose to skip 2006 worlds everyone would have said how she would have coasted to the title (even w/mistakes) especially seeing how her competitors skated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Easier said than done. I bet if Cohen chose to skip 2006 worlds everyone would have said how she would have coasted to the title (even w/mistakes) especially seeing how her competitors skated.

Yes, who knows what would have happened, Sarah and Yuna both did not skate well at Worlds following their Olympic win.

But if you asked me to pick a winner of 98 Worlds had Tara competed I would have put my money on Michelle.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post
    Yes, who knows what would have happened, Sarah and Yuna both did not skate well at Worlds following their Olympic win.

But if you asked me to pick a winner of 98 Worlds had Tara competed I would have put my money on Michelle.
    But Sarah's worlds following an OLY win was a yr later.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I thought of this interview when I read this interview with Brian Boitano - they ask him if he has any special momentos in his house, and one of the three things he mentions is a Lalique trophy
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I don't know if Tara would have been competitive for an Olympic spot in 2002. She had a growth spurt in between 1998-2002 and I think she had her hip surgery by then..I don't know if it would have been possible for her to stay competitive for another 4 years due to her injury...
    Well, AJ said that there were rumors Tara was still doing most of her triples in 2002. Would have been interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think Tara would've tried to continue until SLC if she had finished 2nd in Nagano. She seemed more driven than most to finish at the top of the Olympic podium and wouldn't have settled for the silver. But I don't think she would have made it to SLC because of her hips injury. It's too bad she didn't go to the World after Nagano though. All she had to do was be consistent there, which she was very much always anyway, and she could've captured a 2nd World title.
    I agree. I also wish AJ would have asked her if she really stopped competing because it would have "tarnished" her gold. I think that's a ridiculous reason to stop competing, but it could have been a rumor and if it's a rumor I would like to know because so much stuff surrounding Tara is stories and drama. There are many athletes who have made comebacks and their accomplishments are never "tarnished," in fact they are admired, usually, for persevering. I just wonder what Tara would have said about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Look at Hughes (2002 champ) who tried to stay longer. She could not duplicate her SLC performance (predictably), and ultimately lost motivation.
    True, but at least Sarah gave it a go. We got to see her career "ride out" and at least have some closure to it. We don't have that with Tara and it's frustrating to many fans, even though it is always the skater's decision not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I thought of this interview when I read this interview with Brian Boitano - they ask him if he has any special momentos in his house, and one of the three things he mentions is a Lalique trophy
    Sasha also said something similar in her biography. When she saw the Lalique trophy, she had to have it and that was a huge motivator for her.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I wonder who has won Lalique the most number of times. You can't really put too many of those trophies in a home without it looking gaudy.
    Tara basically answered the question of why she didn't skate at Worlds 1998. She said she knew when she left Nagano that she was done competing. Whether in the back of her mind there was also the thought about protecting her gold medal is undetermined. i can see how she trained for her Olympic moment, snatched the brass ring, and felt she did what she set out for. I also have a feeling that Kwan would have been given generous scores at that Worlds regardless, because many many were dissatisfied with Tara's win and I would assume there were judges who felt the same way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I agree. Tara is obviously very hard-working and goal-oriented, but even with less rigorous training during her pro career she had serious injuries. I can't imagine that her body could have taken intense training for four more years. Even if she was doing all her triples at times in 2002, that's very different from persistent rigorous training.

It's interesting to read about her freak-outs because I always thought of her as being remarkably tough, especially for her age. I never could understand how she handled all the pressure and the nasty criticism at such young age. I wasn't a big fan of her skating, but I always was appalled by the way fans and the media treated her and impressed by how well she handled it on top of all the pressure to perform well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    It's interesting to read about her freak-outs because I always thought of her as being remarkably tough, especially for her age.
    I believe it, because there were stories about Tara's freakouts from the beginning. For all the crap that Christine Brennan gets for "embellishing," at least now we know that what she wrote about Tara having breakdowns and her mother having to get involved, is true.

vCash
    Great, candid interview with Tara. I was always in Kwan's corner, but I never though of anyone being "wuzrobbed" in any of the championships Lipinski won; while I can see why some thought Michelle (myself included) could/should have gotten the nod in Nagano.

Regarding her hip/young retirement; while Tara was very open and honest in this interview, from what I know of the situation, it was a bit worse then maybe even Tara portrayed it to be in this interivew. While I do know she was landing most of all over her triples around the time of 2002, there is a big difference between being able to land them in an isolated, non-consistant manner, and being able to train them day-in-day-out.

vCash
    Tara said in the interview that speed (lack of it one of her peeves) was the easiest fault to correct in skating. I wish she would have elaborated on how to do that since some skaters seem to have great difficulty correcting that problem. Hope Caroline read the interview and has a consult with her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I thought that Tara did "go the audition route" for acting jobs for a while. Maybe my memory is mistaken about that?
    Accordingly to Tara in Part 3 of the interview, she says, in comparing herself to friends, that she did not do the audition circuit (I used "route" instead of "circuit"). I was surprised that she said this because I always assumed she did as well. See below in BOLD:

TL: I took acting lessons when I was auditioning and I enjoyed it, but I stopped doing as much when the CBS offers stopped coming in. I took classes with friends and went on auditions, but I never did the audition circuit. I have a number of friends who are actors and they give their entire lives to acting the way I did for skating and it takes years. I wasn’t prepared to give myself to acting like that. I did do Still Standing and Malcolm in the Middle after that time, which I'm proud of.

O-

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast