Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Great interview. The questions along brought back so many memories. I loved her candid answers and humor and she was a good sport answering questions from an MK uber.

I don't think I've ever read an interview that ended like this:

"AJ: Thank you so much. I might not hate you anymore."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    RD, Tara did link Part 3 of the interview (on Twitter) this afternoon.
    Thanks. I caught it earlier, couple hours after I made that post.

vCash
    I agree. While Tara's skating never moved me she was one fierce competitor. Michelle was the dominate skater in the world yet Tara was never intimidated by her. Unlike today's crop of american women who have that deer in the headlights look when they are facing the top skaters.

vCash
    I'm kind of tired of the Michelle/Tara debatcle. I actaully must say I felt bad for Tara back then even though I was rooting for Michelle, because it felt like people were making a 14/15 year old the villian. Both Michelle and Tara worked hard and deserved it.

Its nice that Tara writes notes to fans, but not every celebrity has to do that. Some people are better letter writers than others. Michelle did other things.
    I felt it was really telling and I suspect totally true when Tara mentioned that she wished people understand that the relationship between her and Michelle was a lot different than the animosity between their fans.

(I suspect similarily with Kim/Mao) while it would be impossible to be besties. Both girls probably understand how hard the other worked, and probably respected the other a heck of a lot for it.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    My take is that she saw a fighting spirit in Sasha and identified with it. Unfortunately Sasha had severe consistency issues. You knew she would fall at least once, it was only a question if it would be a SashaMeltdownTM. Her Skate America performance in 2005 was unfortunate, with all the quad buildup, but she had nearly performed it at Nebelhorn earlier that season. IIRC Sasha did MANY competitions that season including the two above, and Goodwill Games, and another GP, maybe even another. She had a fierce determination to get her name back up there after missing the 2005 Nationals and Worlds. And her presentation was exquisite. I was hoping Sasha would skate clean at Olys, didn't mind if Kwan put it together and won, but was so anti-Slutskaya and anti-Hughes. Of course the latter won Oly gold and silver which shows I can't root against someone or they will win.
    I enjoyed reading this interview. Tara sounds down to earth and like someone you'd want to know. AJ did a great job with this one.
    Sasha wasn't at Skate America in 05, Bebe, Alissa, and Emily were. I think that you mean 2001, re the quad attempt.

Some other points...without getting into a Tara/MK debate..Both Tara and Mk have always been great to their fans. Back in 98, both of them signed and signed away...after the practices. I suspect by 05..MK was whisked away as she had "media" for having tied MVO record.

Re" the fans not meaning as much to MK, that's not so, as evidenced by her demeanor and interaction at the Rise Premiere in February.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Also, did anyone see the comment by "Anonymous" at the end of the third part?
    Pointless shit stirring.

P.S. Sorry to contribute to it myself but can't help saying that as much as I dislike Kwan, I still can't get over Nagano (back then I thought Lipinski was the rightful winner but I didn't exactly know much about skating).

vCash
    Thoughtful questions and thoughtful answers. Unlike a lot of interviews, I didn't leave with the thought "why did I waste my time reading this". Strange that it was done by an interviewer who "hated" his interviewee. And there was little, or no, skirting of the issues posed by the questions. Congrats to both parties.

vCash
    That was a great interview!! I loved Tara's honesty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    That is unfounded, and these are Lipinski's responses from a phone interview conducted yesterday. If you want to discredit someone, then you can start with me.

Furthermore, Lipinski is not shy about having her lawyers request inaccurate statements be taken down from websites. She has done so in the past. I assure you this interview was legitimate and the fact that it will not be removed will lend more than enough support to its validity.
    It's unfortunately fact. I hope he has learned from his many mistakes and tries to become legit.

I will always wait when he has some scoop or 'interview.' You're right that she has always agressively protected her rights, as she should. And because there's been no word from her for a few days, and it's clear she knows she's being taped, this is obviously an interview with her. But I will always feel right to wait and see what's real with this guy.

Glad to see Tara getting some well earned love from our little corner of the skating world.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    AJ: Had you had any problems with your triple flip before the short program?

TL: The triple flip was a complete fluke in the short program. I know myself and I was shocked. I felt good to go before the competition. My[triple] lutz felt so good and beautiful. When I went to toe-in for the [triple] flip, my ankle buckled and dropped down. I didn’t get any height. You can see it on the video. I was shocked.

[Editor’s confession- the day after the short program was Christmas for Aunt Joyce, who may have been caught watching that triple flip on repeat.]

Apart from that, very refreshing to read a rather un-PC interview of an Olympic champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I felt it was really telling and I suspect totally true when Tara mentioned that she wished people understand that the relationship between her and Michelle was a lot different than the animosity between their fans.
    I thought it was neat how, when asked about her favorite costumes (other skaters') she named Michelle's Salome dress, and said she was in awe of Michelle at '96 WC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    And because there's been no word from her for a few days, and it's clear she knows she's being taped, this is obviously an interview with her. But I will always feel right to wait and see what's real with this guy.
    She recently linked to it on her twitter (which, while not Twitter-verified, has been confirmed by her official site to be hers) so I take it she fully endorses it. It's a very good interview so I can't see what she should be ashamed of.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm kind of tired of the Michelle/Tara debatcle.
    Did you mean to say debacle or debate or something else? Because I can't figure out what you are trying to say here.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Tara is awesome! I totally enjoy her candid nature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Did you mean to say debacle or debate or something else? Because I can't figure out what you are trying to say here.
    Debacle. I feel like some fans have to almost be convinced that either Kwan or Tara must be horrible people. I mean the whole (Tara is nicer to fans is an example) Or Michelle is looking to be a diplomat, while Tara just wants to comnentate. (I honestly can't see Tara as a diplomat, and Michelle is too politically correct to be a great commentator IMO). All of this on Aunt Joyce's Interview comments.

I'm actually really tired of it. I understand prefering one skater's skating to another person's skater. But when you have to convince yourself that your fave's biggest rival must be a horrible person, I take issue.

I was rooting for Kwan back then I truly was. But I really hated how Tara at 14/15 was made into a villian. And she really was. It was like Kwan already earned a lot of people's hearts. Before Tara came on to the scene. And really Tara was heavily criticized for everything she did. And no it wasn't fair that Christine Brennan criticized Tara's parents while failing to mention the type of Skating Parent Danny Kwan was. That wasn't fair at all. The whole thing was in many ways unfair to Tara who was a young kid at that time. Tara really was never a bad kid. Tara clearly worked her butt off. She was a child star but she never turned to drugs/substance abuse a la Bowman, Bobek or Oksana.

Tara I feel is never done really anything to deserve the vitrol she's gotten.

The reality of the matter is both Tara and Michelle Kwan were very talented skaters, who both had their heads together, and worked extremely hard to get where they got. And both kept their heads together afterwards.

Its the same with Kim/Asada fans. Some of the vitrol there is just awful. I understand preferring one skater to another but really Wow. Just Wow.

I actually firmly believe that Both Tara and Michelle, and Kim/Asada probably had far to much respect for each other, to feel the same way their fans feel. I'm not saying there was necessarily LOVING feelings. But I'm sure there were feelings of mutual respect. Because they understood how hard their rivals had to work to get that good. And all back in the day were far more respectful towards each others in interviews than their fans were too.
    Last edited by bek; 07-25-2011 at 03:26 AM.

vCash
    Few skaters have had to literally grow up in the spotlight like Tara and Michelle did. They came into the sport during it's absolute prime (aka right after the Nancy/Tonya drama,) and were both mainstream names in the late 90s.

I am beyond impressed how both of them have matured and settled into their adult selves. Yes, there were moments over the last 15 years I am sure they would like to take back (Michelle's hair in 99, Tara's too frank comments ie. "I'm not a diva, I'm just Tara") but teenage years are all about finding yourself, and they did it in front of us. Lord knows there would be a lot to criticize if someone analyzed my teenage years!

While I believe the sport suffered in their absence, I give both credit for coming out of the spotlight and finding themselves on their own terms. They have both in their own way turned into confident, self-deprecating, introspective women, and continue to be fabulous role models.

I wholeheartedly welcome Tara back to the sport, and very much enjoyed the interview!

vCash
    In the Kwan v. Tara wars I was a Bobek fan. Like many, I more admired Tara for her competitive fierceness than the skating itself. But I'm really glad she seems to have turned out well for having had a somewhat unusual childhood. Good for her. This was a very entertaining read.

Yesterday I was awash in nostalgia while @ Skate Detroit, thinking about some skating-fan moments I've had around Detroit rinks. This interview reminded me of another -watching Tara practice before '97 Nats and thinking, oh boy, other skaters better watch out - this girl might be going places fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    The main difference between Tara and Oksana is Tara could do combinations...
    Very true. Also Oksana could get HUGE height on jumps especially her triple lutz. And oh yes Oksana had a true lutz . And artistically she Baiul was far superior to Tara. That's another big difference between the two.

I love them both just the same and was thrilled when both did great on their respective Olympic nights. I wish Tara had a smiley of her own too.

Dave's Tara interview was the most enjoyable in recent memory for me.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 07-25-2011 at 07:43 AM.

vCash
    Great interview. I'm actully not at all surprised that Tara does well commentating. I always thought for one so young (when she was competing, that is), that she spoke so well. (Of course, she skated so well too!)

It's nice to see Tara find something she enjoys. It seems the acting thing was just a "testing of the waters" and not something that was a real fit for her. If she felt passionate about it the way she always was about skating, I'm sure she would have gone the audition route. But she passed that over.

Good for Tara for having options and opportunities. She seems to really enjoy her life and appreciate what she has.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    It's nice to see Tara find something she enjoys. It seems the acting thing was just a "testing of the waters" and not something that was a real fit for her. If she felt passionate about it the way she always was about skating, I'm sure she would have gone the audition route. But she passed that over.
    I thought that Tara did "go the audition route" for acting jobs for a while. Maybe my memory is mistaken about that?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast