Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Is there a part 3? If so, I hope he asks her what she's been doing the last 8 years, because I really have no idea. I'm glad she seems to like commentating and has been getting into that recently. Reading this interview made me sad in a way tho; it's hard to peak as a teenager.

Also, I love the picture of Michelle and Tara that was obviously taken in somewhat recent years at an event. Was that at RISE?

vCash
    Great interview, fascinating to read how much pressure she felt during her competitions, especially Olympics. Thanks for posting the links!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Not a fan of Aunt Joyce's blog or comments but I must say he did a really good job with this interview. A lot of insight into the mindset of a top competitor...I learned quite a bit. Also props to TL for being more candid about her feelings.

One of the best skater interviews I've read in a long time.

vCash
    Love Tara, like her even more now than when she won OGM. Maybe she was too young. Her commentary this year has been excellent.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    I enjoyed the interview very much, and Tara's personality shines through it wonderfully.

To be brutally honest, I was certainly not a particular fan during her competitive or post-competitive skating year (does the posting name give you a clue?). Having said that, I am very happy to see that Tara is an articulate, intelligent young woman who is still young enough to have quite a future ahead of her.

I certainly wish her well and look forward to see her growth and what she chooses from her career options (of which, fortunately for her and to her credit, there are many).
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    I liked the section about Nagano and where she discussed her LP - the last 3-3 seq. looked a little botched cuz she went too high from excitement on the 3toe. Also, finished off the music cuz she went overboard on the spins

vCash
    A whole lot of "freaking out" went on. I wonder if it still does. The one thing that bothered me about Tara's skating (other than the artistry) was the smallness of her jumps. She got so little height that I always wondered whether she would get all the revolutions in. Probably would hurt her if she were competing today.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^^Not still bitter or anything...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    The one thing that bothered me about Tara's skating (other than the artistry) was the smallness of her jumps. She got so little height that I always wondered whether she would get all the revolutions in. Probably would hurt her if she were competing today.
    Were the jumps tiny, or is it just because Tara herself was tiny? In any case, she rotated quickly, so if anyone was going to get credit for a 3loop-3loop today, it would be Tara (the 15-year-old version, of course).
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Is there a part 3? If so, I hope he asks her what she's been doing the last 8 years, because I really have no idea. I'm glad she seems to like commentating and has been getting into that recently. Reading this interview made me sad in a way tho; it's hard to peak as a teenager.

Also, I love the picture of Michelle and Tara that was obviously taken in somewhat recent years at an event. Was that at RISE?
    Yes, the picture was taken at "Rise".

vCash
    Great interview! I am a big Kwan fan but I have a lot of respect for Tara as a competitor. Her rivalry with Michelle made the 1998 Olympics the most exciting games for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Were the jumps tiny, or is it just because Tara herself was tiny?
    The 2A was the worst offender. Tara skimmed off the ice on the jump and never jumped up into it. It's interesting that she admitted to having a sever flutz. She said that Callagan worked on it to make the jump bigger, so it would have been interesting if she had expanded on that.

In any case, she rotated quickly, so if anyone was going to get credit for a 3loop-3loop today, it would be Tara
    Seeing how often Miki clean-looking 3lutz-3loop combo got downgraded in the past, I'm not sure if Tara's 3lp-3lp wouldn't have suffered from the same is she was competing now.

vCash
    Somehow her jumps seemed a little bigger in person than on tv. Not so much that awful axel, but other jumps like the salchow seemed surprisingly decent height-wise (though still maybe nothing to write home about...). And Tara's flutz was never as horrendous as Hughes' was, at least. I wonder if Tara has ever considered coaching? I like her commentating, but the thing that I like about it is that she's so very OCD about technique and is good at seeing problems with the skaters' jumps. I bet she could become a hell of a technical coach if she wanted to.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I think everybody "likes Tara now" because she's telling the truth after so many years of fudging it.

vCash
    great interview!!! and great answers from Tara!!!

vCash
    She has grown up it seems and it suits her. I always thought she was fun, it's just that she seemed self absorbed. Maybe they can get her and Michele to do the SOI tour.

vCash
    I've always thought Tara rocked. Even as a 14 year old she was bright and articulate. I'm always thrilled when we have a U.S. lady who is a fierce competitior. We haven't had one in so long I'm really missing Tara. None of the current crop has the eye of the tiger like she did and the ability to go to a certain place inside when they compete. Very special qualities. Wish Tara would skate professionally for sure. Her skating was lovely on the Today show last winter. Interesting how she admitted she is prone to rash gut level decisions and that she stopped skating because she enjoyed feeling normal for awhile. I hope they plug her to commentate on the Olympics next time they roll around.

vCash
    Thanks so much for posting this! I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed reading an interview quite as much.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    AJ: One last question…which of your competitors had the most intimidating bitch face in the locker room?

TL: I’d have to say Maria Butyrskaya. She scared me.
    OMG, I just snorted!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast